Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,960

0 members and 2,960 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Ball python ambient temps clarification?

So, I've done a lot of research, but I haven't been able to find a consistent answer to this.

Where exactly do you measure ambient temperatures? Cool side? Middle?

The most common range I've found is 78 to 80 degrees, but is this meant to represent the entire temperature gradient in the tank? It seems kinda small for that.

I don't have my ball python yet, so there's no risk to animal welfare. Right now, my temps have stabilized at 80 degrees on the hot side and 75 on the cool side. Unfortunately, I don't have a surface temps yet, but the temperature gun should be arriving soon so I can get those. I'm using an UTH for the hot spot/belly heat and a ceramic heat emitter for air temps.

I can guess that ambient temps does not refer to the hot side, but should they be measured in the middle or on the cool side? Or does this depend more on the temperature of the substrate?

Please let me know if any additional information is needed.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,487 Times in 2,686 Posts

Re: Ball python ambient temps clarification?

I measure my ambient temps with a temp gun on the cool side surface of the enclosure. During the summer my ambient temps are 75-80 and they’re 70-75 in the winter.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Homebody (09-05-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Personally, I consider "ambient" to be what's measured "in the middle" (with one end being the most added warmth & the other end being unheated). Sorta like saying the "average" temperature, but it's also the air temperature. So if your room/home is chilly, even if you have UTH & overhead heat supplied at one end of the enclosure, if the enclosure isn't insulated, that heat is going to disappear into the room pretty quickly & the ambient temperature in the enclosure on the unheated side may well be too cool for the species of snake you're keeping. Especially for something like a BP that likes tropical warmth- & they won't be happy staying only on the warm side.

Keep in mind that the UTH tends to just heat the floor for "belly heat"- it's not powerful enough to heat all the air, otherwise it would be too hot for the snake to lay on. This is why every enclosure needs a custom set-up, & should be tested for at least a week before a snake moves in, so you aren't going to stress them making needed adjustments. It takes time for UTH to build up warmth when it's properly installed (with air gap below for safety). All heating devices must be regulated, & you need a way to take the temperatures accurately.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)