Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,057

3 members and 3,054 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Help!!! Ball pythons body is attacking itself

My gorgeous bumblebee male was perfect and then I checked on him and found that he was covered in some strange greasy film. I tried to rinse him off but that only seem to make his skin angrier. Now he is loosing scales in full sections. I’ve researched this issue all over the web but cannot find anything. The imagines look like he has been burned but there is no way. His rack uses back heat that he cannot get to. I researched a possible allergic reaction to chlorhexidine. I’m at a total loss and I don’t know what to do next. The vet saw the pictures and said it looked like burns and he can prescribe him meds. But other than that he didn’t know. It will take many sheds for him to recover. His eyes still have a strange film across them. Please help!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    You NEED to SEE an experienced herp vet near you A.S.A.P.- this may help you find one, if you're not satisfied with your current vet- https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

We aren't seeing your snake & in any case, this forum cannot take the place of real medical expertise. Not even with pictures- please take him to the vet promptly- & double-check how you're keeping him- the temperatures of all surfaces he can contact. This could also be some sort of infection- stop wasting time online- he sounds pretty sick to me.

Is this your only snake? If not, be sure to keep him quarantined away from all others- & make sure you don't handle him & then contaminate the others, in case it's anything they can catch. You're correct that if he's losing scales/skin, it will take many sheds for him to recover. The sooner you get him seen & treated, the better chance he has to recover.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-31-2021 at 11:19 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (09-01-2021),EL-Ziggy (09-01-2021),Hugsplox (09-01-2021),nikkubus (09-01-2021)

Thanks

Re: Help!!! Ball pythons body is attacking itself

He already has been seen by the vet. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this and had more information. He is quarantined as well. I’m trying to find what happened to cause this since the vet had no idea except possible burns.
    Last edited by Mightymorphinsneks; 08-31-2021 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymorphinsneks View Post
    He already has been seen by the vet. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this and had more information. He is quarantined as well. I’m trying to find what happened to cause this since the vet had no idea except possible burns.
    You didn't say you took him to the vet- you said you showed pictures to a vet- that's NOT the same thing as an in-person exam & tests. WE are not even seeing pictures- there's no way we can speculate or help you, nor would it be ethical to try to replace the real medical care that your snake obviously needs immediately.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (09-01-2021)

Thanks

Sorry, my vet lets me text him anything crazy that comes up ASAP so he first saw the pictures. When he saw the snake today he said the same thing. I left with antibiotics to help treat/prevent anything that we could but with little answers as to why this has happened to a seemingly healthy snake. Now I’m left tubing this poor guy every day and feel hopeless. I have no idea how to post photos on here or I would. I was just looking for relative experience. Not medical advice. Sorry for posting. It won’t let me delete it. Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymorphinsneks View Post
    Sorry, my vet lets me text him anything crazy that comes up ASAP so he first saw the pictures. When he saw the snake today he said the same thing. I left with antibiotics to help treat/prevent anything that we could but with little answers as to why this has happened to a seemingly healthy snake. Now I’m left tubing this poor guy every day and feel hopeless. I have no idea how to post photos on here or I would. I was just looking for relative experience. Not medical advice. Sorry for posting. It won’t let me delete it. Thanks.
    Your post wasn't clear & you'd be surprised how often people want medical answers online without ever seeing a vet. No need to delete- thank you for clarifying.

I'd tend to believe the vet that somehow your snake is burned. What kind of heat are you using? Thermostat? What are the cage temps (highest & lowest) & how are you taking the temps?

I'm not one that posts pics either, but this should help: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (09-01-2021)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Maybe slipped skin disease? If your vet had no idea besides possible burns when you say there's no possible way it was a burn, you need to talk to a different vet.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (09-01-2021),Bogertophis (09-01-2021),Hugsplox (09-01-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Slipped skin is associated with vitamin C deficiency due to malnutrition. If that were the case the snake would be severely underweight and the vet would have noticed.

I hate to say it but you did dilute the chlorhexidine right? Also, do you live with anyone who could have applied a caustic substance to the snake?

Mountainside-medical.com will sell silvadene without a prescription. I would order some.
    Last edited by bcr229; 09-01-2021 at 08:02 AM.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (09-01-2021),Bogertophis (09-01-2021),GoingPostal (09-01-2021),Hugsplox (09-01-2021)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Slipped skin is associated with vitamin C deficiency due to malnutrition. If that were the case the snake would be severely underweight and the vet would have noticed.

I hate to say it but you did dilute the chlorhexidine right? Also, do you live with anyone who could have applied a caustic substance to the snake?

Mountainside-medical.com will sell silvadene without a prescription. I would order some.
    Wasn't there a severely underweight snake on here recently that had seen a vet and it wasn't brought up? I never assume a random vet will be snake experienced and having not seen the snake it could be in poor shape or fed improperly. The "goo" and large chunks of scales falling off sound similar though. A picture might help get a better idea for sure.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (09-01-2021),bcr229 (09-01-2021),Bogertophis (09-01-2021),Hugsplox (09-01-2021)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Did your Vet do a skin culture? If not have him do one or find a Vet that will.

Now, things not stated.

How old is the snake?
    How long have you had him?
    Did you feed live?
    Type of cage an bedding?
    Was he housed alone?
    Heat source?
    Last time you handled him before the problem what where you doing handling?
    Any chemical room cleaning or bug treatments?

Any reptile zoos near you or Vet schools? Might help for an expert to take a look.

Good luck!

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (09-01-2021),ballpythonluvr (09-01-2021),Bogertophis (09-01-2021),Hugsplox (09-01-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast