Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,021

1 members and 3,020 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    She is quite striking, as is her enclosure. Nice job with her
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Daniel_Effler (11-20-2021)

Thanks

Re: Getting an ATB and looking for advice.

She’s beautiful! How’s the temperament? These guys are usually super bitey And even though they’re small, most arboreals have some nasty chompers! This species has always intrigued me.

On a side note - how are your air plants holding up? Are you doing anything specific for them besides misting? I thought they were supposed to be low maintenance, but half the ones I’ve put in my enclosures are dead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Team Slytherin View Post
    She’s beautiful! How’s the temperament? These guys are usually super bitey And even though they’re small, most arboreals have some nasty chompers! This species has always intrigued me.

On a side note - how are your air plants holding up? Are you doing anything specific for them besides misting? I thought they were supposed to be low maintenance, but half the ones I’ve put in my enclosures are dead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She bit me a few times when I first got her but she is doing better. Still have to watch her like a hawk though. She never brought blood but as she gets bigger I could see that changing.

Those plants are awesome because they are fake lol.
    No real plants in here right now. When I upgrade her to the larger terrarium I'm going to go full bioactive but right now I thought I'd start simple.

Sent from my SM-S426DL using Tapatalk

Thanks

hahahaha well, you totally fooled me! They look great🤣 She bit you without drawing blood?! How is that even possible?!😅 I mean, good for you though.

Thanks

Just a couple of pictures.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel_Effler For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-04-2021)

Thanks

She has some shed stuck on top of her head but she won't let me touch it. I'm thinking I may just leave it and it should come off with the next shed. The humidity is always high in her enclosure but I may mist her a little when she is about to shed the next time.

Thanks

I think this will be my late update post here also. I am thinking this is tuning into more of a pic thread than a help thread so next time I'll make a new one for long term updates.

Thank you to everyone that has replied in this thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    You sure can't hurt us with a "pic thread"- she is a stunning snake to look at & admire. I LOVE that color!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Daniel_Effler (12-04-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    How do colors work with ATBs anyway? Do they change colors with age like ATBs and GTPs do? Do they just have a natural wide pool of colors and patterns like certain species such as the variable kingsnake? Is it localities? Morphs? Genuinely have no clue.

I've seen anything from dull browns, solid black, varying shades of yellow, mostly solid reds like the OP's, and even stunning patterns like this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    How do colors work with ATBs anyway? Do they change colors with age like ATBs and GTPs do? Do they just have a natural wide pool of colors and patterns like certain species such as the variable kingsnake? Is it localities? Morphs? Genuinely have no clue.

I've seen anything from dull browns, solid black, varying shades of yellow, mostly solid reds like the OP's, and even stunning patterns like this.
    I'm still learning how the genetics work but there is definitely different genes that produces different patterns and base colors. The garden phase, Halloween phase, tiger, patternless, calico. Are a few I know.

From what I can tell most of the hatchlings have no pattern or reduced pattern that does develop with age and the base color can change some with age but the color patterning is also genetic. It is really confusing and not as nailed out as something like ball python genetics from what I can understand anyway but it is really fascinating.

I would like to work with them and do some breeding in the future but that'll be several years down the road. The one I have is a red calico and should maintain her red color into adulthood as well as the black and white speckling that you can see along her body. The amount of the speckling may change as she grows I'm not sure exactly what age the pattern stabilizes at.

I am definitely a newbie with them though so if everyone sees this and can explain it better please do!

Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-04-2021 at 08:03 PM. Reason: typo (jeans > "genes")

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast