Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,062

0 members and 3,062 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Me too, & ON them... Anyway, IF she's kept low-key & gently held outside for some sunshine, that's okay- I'd do that. But 'handling' means different things to different people- I'll keep my fingers crossed that she's allowed to digest & not over-fed, over-handled after meals, or fed too often.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-14-2021 at 07:31 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Looking for advice from more experienced keepers

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Me too, & ON them... Anyway, IF she's kept low-key & gently held outside for some sunshine, that's okay- I'd do that. But 'handling' means different things to different people- I'll keep my fingers crossed that she's allowed to digest & not over-fed, over-handled after meals, or fed too often.
    I definitely hope for the same things. Hopefully she'll be perfectly fine and hopefully everyone will handle her gently when it's needed to handle her.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Well... Our battle's over... So first about a week ago her vent wasn't closing properly. She went to 2 vets that day and got fluids and x-rays and for a little while she was looking okay but yesterday she went down hill. She was taken to the emergency vet and we found out she was egg bound and sceptic. She passed away on us...

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-30-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neko_snake View Post
    Well... Our battle's over... So first about a week ago her vent wasn't closing properly. She went to 2 vets that day and got fluids and x-rays and for a little while she was looking okay but yesterday she went down hill. She was taken to the emergency vet and we found out she was egg bound and sceptic. She passed away on us...

I'm so sorry to hear this. How did the previous vets miss that? Please do share this knowledge every chance you get that with female snakes, it's always possible for them to attempt reproduction entirely on their own with no mates around. It's how many species tries their best to survive. It also doesn't matter if they're snakes that have live babies or lays eggs.

Egg-binding kills, & sadly, it's slow. So sorry for your loss. Too bad the ER vet wasn't the first one you saw, but then you'd probably have needed a vet with the skills to surgically spay her. I had a rat snake many years ago that developed an ectopic pregnancy & she successfully had such a surgery, but you need a real experienced herp/exotic vet for that, otherwise euthanasia would be the kindest thing.

May she rest in peace.

Thanks

I'm so sorry to hear this. How did the previous vets miss that? Please do share this knowledge every chance you get that with female snakes, it's always possible for them to attempt reproduction entirely on their own with no mates around. It's how many species tries their best to survive. It also doesn't matter if they're snakes that have live babies or lays eggs.

Egg-binding kills, & sadly, it's slow. So sorry for your loss. Too bad the ER vet wasn't the first one you saw, but then you'd probably have needed a vet with the skills to surgically spay her. I had a rat snake many years ago that developed an ectopic pregnancy & she successfully had such a surgery, but you need a real experienced herp/exotic vet for that, otherwise euthanasia would be the kindest thing.

May she rest in peace.
    I'm confused about how not one but TWO vets missed an egg bound snake... I mean the big lump we were concerned with was in the first third of her body so maybe they just didn't x-ray far enough. But when we brought her to the second vet it was because her vent wasn't closing and her tail was limp.

I definitely will continue to share all my knowledge with anyone who will listen. I really hope it helps someone else in the future.

I'm just glad she's finally not in pain anymore after our long fight trying to get her better. In interesting news, the emergency vet we took her to told us that she was the oldest corn snake the vet has ever seen and seemed well taken care of...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-30-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neko_snake View Post
    I'm confused about how not one but TWO vets missed an egg bound snake... I mean the big lump we were concerned with was in the first third of her body so maybe they just didn't x-ray far enough. But when we brought her to the second vet it was because her vent wasn't closing and her tail was limp.

I definitely will continue to share all my knowledge with anyone who will listen. I really hope it helps someone else in the future.

I'm just glad she's finally not in pain anymore after our long fight trying to get her better. In interesting news, the emergency vet we took her to told us that she was the oldest corn snake the vet has ever seen and seemed well taken care of...

I would make a point of (tactfully!) letting the other vets that saw & misdiagnosed her know about the final outcome, as they NEED to LEARN- even if their help is too late for this corn snake, it will help their future patients. Very few vets that see herps are able to do that full-time- to stay in business, they have to see a variety of animals & many don't get enough experience with snakes. Maybe that's why medicine is called a "practice"...because practice makes perfect, or at least a lot closer to perfect.

I had a local vet tell me that the snake I took in for a slight upper mid-body swelling might be producing eggs. Excuse me, but not that high up! I've bred enough snakes to know better, & said so with vague politeness, but it's hard to argue with the "degree" on their wall when they think they're right, lol. It later turned out to be a terminal inoperable tumor, just as I had suspected.

How old did the ER vet think the corn snake was? I've got one now that's 22, & I've had a Baird's rat snake that lived (with my help) to 26. Unfortunately, medical care for snakes just isn't as lucrative as other specialties- perhaps because many snakes are considered "kids pets" (undeserving & replaceable) that never get seen, so they don't typically live that long. Snakes are also stoic, so when they're sick, it often takes an experienced eye to even know that.

Thanks
    Even if you don't feel comfortable talking directly with those previous vets, if you just call or email their offices & leave them a message with their staff, it would surely help them to learn. Please do it for their future patients?

Thanks

Even if you don't feel comfortable talking directly with those previous vets, if you just call or email their offices & leave them a message with their staff, it would surely help them to learn. Please do it for their future patients?
    We definitely plan on letting them know. At least our regular vet. He definitely tries his best and even admitted when he didn't have enough experience. Even recommending we take her elsewhere. That's why we went to the second vet that other day.

I wasn't there yesterday when they went to the ER so I'm not sure exactly what happened. My knowledge is literally just through a coworker texting me. I'm actually currently stuck at my house. Our whole area flooded really badly. Still can't get our cars out. I kinda feel helpless since I've been stuck here and coworkers had to take care of corn snake yesterday...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-30-2021)

Thanks
    Sorry about your area being flooded...that sure doesn't help any. I hope things all get better soon.

I really appreciate the vets who do their best & are just trying to help, even though snakes weren't part of their training. The first vet I ever saw with a snake many years ago was just such a vet- he was "willing" to try to help, & literally pulled out reference books while I was there for consultation. He had a vet tech that kept a number of snakes, so that helped...I wasn't the first one to seek his help, lol.

I respect honesty- I'd MUCH rather have a vet tell me they don't have much experience but are willing to try, than to have one pretend to know what they're talking about. And especially these days, they can do phone or online consultations with those who have more expertise. The more experience WE have, & the more details & observations we can provide them with really helps too, because snakes are just so stoic when the vet looks at them in the exam room. There's more for ALL of us to learn, so we have to help each other- just like on here.

Thanks

Sorry about your area being flooded...that sure doesn't help any. I hope things all get better soon.

I really appreciate the vets who do their best & are just trying to help, even though snakes weren't part of their training. The first vet I ever saw with a snake many years ago was just such a vet- he was "willing" to try to help, & literally pulled out reference books while I was there for consultation. He had a vet tech that kept a number of snakes, so that helped...I wasn't the first one to seek his help, lol.

I respect honesty- I'd MUCH rather have a vet tell me they don't have much experience but are willing to try, than to have one pretend to know what they're talking about. And especially these days, they can do phone or online consultations with those who have more expertise. The more experience WE have, & the more details & observations we can provide them with really helps too, because snakes are just so stoic when the vet looks at them in the exam room. There's more for ALL of us to learn, so we have to help each other- just like on here.
    I really appreciate how honest our vet is. He doesn't have much experience with reptiles but he's willing to try. Willing to do what he can. That's a good quality to have in not just a vet but an animal caregiver. You don't need all the experience but a willingness to try and help. Now experience helps and I can't help but wonder if we have originally brought her to an experience reptile vet, would they have been able to save her however our vet did all he could and I really appreciate it.

My coworker just got back to me and the ER vet said she was definitely over 15 years old. So not as old as your snakes but it sounds like a decent mostly healthy life.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast