Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 630

5 members and 625 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 03:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 71,852
Threads: 245,881
Posts: 2,547,914
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dbm357357
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 52
  1. #41
    Registered User Neko_snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2021
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts

    Re: Looking for advice from more experienced keepers

    I definitely will. I'm just glad we got her an appointment and hopefully we'll at least have an answer. Hopefully it won't be serious. I definitely know it's a possibility... Typically with reptiles, in my experience, when you see something wrong then it's really wrong. They're so good at hiding illness. Hope for the best but I'm mentally preparing myself for the worst.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (10-07-2021),dakski (10-08-2021)

  3. #42
    Registered User Neko_snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2021
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts

    Re: Looking for advice from more experienced keepers

    Update on corn snake, still hasn't eaten. She got taken to the vet and got x-rays done. Apparently the lump we noticed was undigested food. Vet recommends some outside time in nature light. Hopefully that gets her digestive system moving and she'll eat something for us.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

    AutumnVanilla (10-14-2021),Bogertophis (10-14-2021)

  5. #43
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15,861
    Thanks
    21,735
    Thanked 13,826 Times in 8,672 Posts

    Re: Looking for advice from more experienced keepers

    Quote Originally Posted by Neko_snake View Post
    Update on corn snake, still hasn't eaten. She got taken to the vet and got x-rays done. Apparently the lump we noticed was undigested food. Vet recommends some outside time in nature light. Hopefully that gets her digestive system moving and she'll eat something for us.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Hmm, that advice sounds familiar? (my post #36) Double-check her temperatures too- make sure she's warm enough to digest. (is there a hide over the warm area so she feels safe to use it for long enough to digest?)

    When was the last time she was fed? Seems it was an awfully long time for this to be undigested prey? Still, I'm glad it's not a tumor or true blockage of undigestible stuff.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-14-2021 at 06:00 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  6. #44
    Registered User Neko_snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2021
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts

    Re: Looking for advice from more experienced keepers

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Hmm, that advice sounds familiar? (my post #36) Double-check her temperatures too- make sure she's warm enough to digest. (is there a hide over the warm area so she feels safe to use it for long enough to digest?)

    When was the last time she was fed? Seems it was an awfully long time for this to be undigested prey? Still, I'm glad it's not a tumor or true blockage of undigestible stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Hmm, that advice sounds familiar? (my post #36) Double-check her temperatures too- make sure she's warm enough to digest. (is there a hide over the warm area so she feels safe to use it for long enough to digest?)

    When was the last time she was fed? Seems it was an awfully long time for this to be undigested prey? Still, I'm glad it's not a tumor or true blockage of undigestible stuff.
    Exactly lol. Kinda made me laugh when the person who took her to the vet said that. We check temps everyday. She does have a warm hide.

    August 2nd is the last time she's had a normal meal. 2 weeks ago one of my coworkers said she left 3 pinkies overnight and only found 2 in the morning. But a pinky is nothing for her.

    She went to the vet on Monday and apparently she's pooped twice from then to now (my weekend was Tuesday and Wednesday so this was told to me today) but she still has a lump.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (10-14-2021)

  8. #45
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15,861
    Thanks
    21,735
    Thanked 13,826 Times in 8,672 Posts
    You're correct, pinkies are not a meal to an adult corn snake. Wonder what's going on with her digestion- would really help to know her age, as when snakes get old they eat less often & don't digest as well. That's what's going on with my 22 year old corn- he doesn't eat as often & prefers smaller mice. (He actually regurged a large mouse about a year+ ago.) What size mouse did she eat on August 2nd? If that was a large mouse, maybe you need to downsize to smaller mice (but not pinkies, lol) that she can better digest.

    What temp. is the "cool" part of her home? & what temp. is IN the warm hide? If the warm hide is TOO warm, she might avoid it, & then be too cool to digest well. That's what it sounds like.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  9. #46
    Registered User Neko_snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2021
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts

    Re: Looking for advice from more experienced keepers

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You're correct, pinkies are not a meal to an adult corn snake. Wonder what's going on with her digestion- would really help to know her age, as when snakes get old they eat less often & don't digest as well. That's what's going on with my 22 year old corn- he doesn't eat as often & prefers smaller mice. (He actually regurged a large mouse about a year+ ago.) What size mouse did she eat on August 2nd? If that was a large mouse, maybe you need to downsize to smaller mice (but not pinkies, lol) that she can better digest.

    What temp. is the "cool" part of her home? & what temp. is IN the warm hide? If the warm hide is TOO warm, she might avoid it, & then be too cool to digest well. That's what it sounds like.
    The "cool" area is typically 73-77ish. I've never taken the temp in the actual hide so I'm unsure but it's because she's typically always in it. I believe her last meal was an adult size mouse so on the small size compared to your snake. But we also fed weekly so might have still been digesting the previous meal.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  10. #47
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15,861
    Thanks
    21,735
    Thanked 13,826 Times in 8,672 Posts

    Re: Looking for advice from more experienced keepers

    Quote Originally Posted by Neko_snake View Post
    The "cool" area is typically 73-77ish. I've never taken the temp in the actual hide so I'm unsure but it's because she's typically always in it. I believe her last meal was an adult size mouse so on the small size compared to your snake. But we also fed weekly so might have still been digesting the previous meal.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    She should NOT be fed weekly. Feed no more than every 10 days to 2 weeks. Snakes in the middle of digestion don't have enough enzymes to handle a second item thrown in before they finish the initial meal. Most throw it up, but obviously she didn't or couldn't. She also shouldn't be fed if you still see a lump from the last meal. Somehow you have to get this thru their heads, I know this isn't your snake, so good luck.

    She has only one hide? or two? (< 1-warm & 1-cool) It's not clear what temps you're referring to. Which hide is she "typically always in..."???

    And fyi- my corn snakes use their warm hides (rarely in summer, more in winter), but most often prefer the unheated ones, & my house is 78-79* ambient in summer & 70* in winter.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-14-2021 at 06:55 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  11. #48
    Registered User Neko_snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2021
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts

    Re: Looking for advice from more experienced keepers

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    She should NOT be fed weekly. Feed no more than every 10 days to 2 weeks. Snakes in the middle of digestion don't have enough enzymes to handle a second item thrown in before they finish the initial meal. Most throw it up, but obviously she didn't or couldn't. She also shouldn't be fed if you still see a lump from the last meal. Somehow you have to get this thru their heads, I know this isn't your snake, so good luck.

    She has only one hide? or two? (< 1-warm & 1-cool) It's not clear what temps you're referring to. Which hide is she "typically always in..."???

    And fyi- my corn snakes use their warm hides, but most often prefer the unheated ones, & my house is 78-79* ambient in summer & 70* in winter.
    We now definitely know the meal thing. I definitely thank you like before for that information. She has a section of her hide heated and the rest isn't. Her enclosure is a little too small for 2 hides that would fit her so we have one big that spans the gradient. She's typically on the warmest part of that hide. The nature center is set for ambient temperatures around 75F

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (10-14-2021)

  13. #49
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15,861
    Thanks
    21,735
    Thanked 13,826 Times in 8,672 Posts
    Okay, that makes more sense now- about the temps & hide. (One hide isn't optimal, but I'm sure you know that.)

    She should be digesting just fine, even with only the ambient temp. around 75*, so the real problem HAS to be feeding too much & too often- piling more on before she's finished digesting the previous meal. Make sure they let that poor snake digest one meal at a time. It's a wonder she hasn't barfed up.

    Right now I'd feed her on the "long side" (every 14 days) to let her stomach get back on track, & that's ONLY IF & WHEN there's NO bulge left from the previous meal, okay? And smaller mice if you can, also. If she doesn't act hungry, don't worry about persuading her, let her skip a meal too.

    And NO handling when she's still digesting (if there's a visible bulge). She might need longer to digest (due to age or just poor digestion); for most snakes, a bulge from a meal takes about 2 days to be gone, but handling might have interfered too.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-14-2021 at 07:12 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  14. #50
    Registered User Neko_snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2021
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts

    Re: Looking for advice from more experienced keepers

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Okay, that makes more sense now- about the temps & hide. (One hide isn't optimal, but I'm sure you know that.)

    She should be digesting just fine, even with only the ambient temp. around 75*, so the real problem HAS to be feeding too much & too often- piling more on before she's finished digesting the previous meal. Make sure they let that poor snake digest one meal at a time. It's a wonder she hasn't barfed up.

    Right now I'd feed her on the "long side" (every 14 days) to let her stomach get back on track, & that's ONLY IF & WHEN there's NO bulge left from the previous meal, okay? And smaller mice if you can, also. If she doesn't act hungry, don't worry about persuading her, let her skip a meal too.

    And NO handling when she's still digesting (if there's a visible bulge). She might need longer to digest (due to age or just poor digestion); for most snakes, a bulge from a meal takes about 2 days to be gone, but handling might have interfered too.
    It's bad I almost wish she'd have thrown up. At least then they'd realize that she can't handle eating like that. I'm definitely trying to convince them to give her a break from the constant meals.

    I think they're still going to handle her. Mostly because the vet said nature sunlight. But ideally that'll be the only handling she'll get for a while. Especially when our season for doing things with the animals is over.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (10-14-2021)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1