Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,951

2 members and 2,949 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

How do you get a fecal sample from a snake

I tried several methods to get a poo sample from our Japanese rat snake. I tried putting him in water, as well as putting him in a bigger tub with just paper towels, for part of the day over two days, and he didn't do a poop for me. We even drove him around in the car a while (over 30 minutes) before taking him to the vet. Eventually, we brought him to the vet and they like, squeezed some out of him (which I'm sure was fun for our young snake). Unfortunately, they didn't test him for crypto even though that was the entire purpose of me bringing him there (I told them this a day in advance and they said they would, but what can you do). They even said they have never tested for that before, wtf. They are going to look into it, but there are no other vets in my area anywhere near competent with reptiles. So, that was a waste of my time.

But anyway, do any of you have a good method to get a fecal sample? The problem is, they said it needs to be within an hour old, so I can't just bring one once I see him poop. I have been tracking when he poops versus when he eats, and this was the correct amount of days afterwards; I think he just doesn't want to poo outside of his enclosure?

(btw, this is just a routine fecal for his quarantine checkup. He has no outward signs of illness or anything. But, I don't want to hear from people who never take their snake to a vet or are going to tell me testing isn't needed. This topic isn't for you, lol.)
    ----------
    Animals in my house:

1.0 Green Iguana
    1.0 New Zealand Rabbit
    1.0 Blonde Trans-Pecos Rat Snake
    1.0 Japanese Rat Snake
    ? Panda King Isopod Colony
    6 Blue Death-Feigning Beetles
    4 Hellburnt Diabolical Ironclad Beetles

Thanks
    Also, wanted to ask just in case my vet continues to not know what I'm talking about: is there a way I can mail in a sample to a lab myself? Does anyone here have resources for that?
    ----------
    Animals in my house:

1.0 Green Iguana
    1.0 New Zealand Rabbit
    1.0 Japanese Rat Snake

Thanks

Re: How do you get a fecal sample from a snake

Just send in a mouth swab or fecal swab (your choice) to RAL and they can get you results same day as delivery for $20

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to The-ReptiRanch For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-27-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

How do you get a fecal sample from a snake

www.vetdna.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 08-27-2021 at 12:24 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-27-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The-ReptiRanch View Post
    Just send in a mouth swab or fecal swab (your choice) to RAL and they can get you results same day as delivery for $20

Thank you! Have you used their service before? I ask because, on their website (I'm assuming it's this company), I can't see a way to submit the order form (like, do I email them the completed order form or something?). Maybe there are instructions with the swab kits once you order them? I think this would be a good option for us too, seeing as I can get a few to test my snake once I get one.

I'm not sure a mouth swab would work for crypto specifically, so I will order the fecal collection kit.

(edit: just saw jimcrook posted as I was typing the above. If you've also used their service and can answer my above question, please do?)
    Last edited by TofuTofuTofu; 08-27-2021 at 12:25 PM.
    ----------
    Animals in my house:

1.0 Green Iguana
    1.0 New Zealand Rabbit
    1.0 Japanese Rat Snake

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TofuTofuTofu View Post
    Thank you! Have you used their service before? I ask because, on their website (I'm assuming it's this company), I can't see a way to submit the order form (like, do I email them the completed order form or something?). Maybe there are instructions with the swab kits once you order them? I think this would be a good option for us too, seeing as I can get a few to test my snake once I get one.

I'm not sure a mouth swab would work for crypto specifically, so I will order the fecal collection kit.
    They send instructions for the form with your sample collection kit(s). I recently tested my whole room of animals for nido and arenavirus through them and it was a breeze aside from the blood I lost while swabbing their mouths

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-27-2021),TofuTofuTofu (08-27-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TofuTofuTofu View Post

(edit: just saw jimcrook posted as I was typing the above. If you've also used their service and can answer my above question, please do?)
    Yes I have. You print out the order form, fill it out, then ship your samples with the order form. Message Chad Lytle on Facebook and he will happily answer any questions you have. He is one of the doctors that works at RAL and I cant reccomend him enough!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The-ReptiRanch For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-27-2021),TofuTofuTofu (08-27-2021)

Thanks
    Thanks, you two! I'm going to order some of the kits today and can hopefully send a sample in next week if they arrive by then.
    ----------
    Animals in my house:

1.0 Green Iguana
    1.0 New Zealand Rabbit
    1.0 Japanese Rat Snake