Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,054

0 members and 3,054 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Desert Ghost Axanthic

I saw a post today where a big breeder mentioned it took him nearly 150 eggs to produce a pair of desert ghost axanthics. He didn’t mention which line of axanthic in that post but I’ve found a picture of his labeled as a desert ghost VPI axanthic. Have others had trouble making axanthic desert ghosts? I recently got a couple male double het brothers and now I’m wondering if those two genes (mine are het VPI axanthic) just happen to be close together on the same chromosome requiring a crossover to eventually make the double homozygous.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Possibly. That's an obscenely large number even counting the original eggs that hatched double hets. I'd be curious to see what odds he did hit from which exact pairings.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I guess the way he put it I can’t rule out he was including the original double hets but would think that would have been one clutch at most. Also don’t know if he eventually started breeding the next generation axanthics and desert ghosts before eventually producing the axanthic desert ghost pair but he did mention he expected 1 in 16 odds so I took it as nearly 150 eggs from double het to double het. IF the genes are linked, that would require two of just the right crossovers in the same pairing. Might have actually been quicker to grow up the visual axanthics and breed them to the visual desert ghosts and look for a single crossover making one het for the other. But I’m jumping ahead, need some confirmation others had the same terrible luck with their initial double hets to make the case they even might be linked.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    It might not be so bad. Even if he only got the two (as opposed to just one gender matched pair) out of a full 150 eggs from double het to double het that would be 1 in 75 with two of the favorable crossovers. If I’m thinking of the math right I think that means a single favorable crossover would be expected at about the square root of 75 which would be about 1 in 8.7. Problem is without testing you would have to raise up and breed a lot of offspring from double het to double het to find the 1 in 8.7. I think I just better buy my double hets from breedings with a visual axanthic desert ghost parent. A pair of those should produce close to 1 in 4 axanthic desert ghost rather than the expected 1 in 16 (I guess minus the 1 in 8.7 unfavorable crossovers on each side so maybe more like (oh my head) does that get back down to roughly 3 in 16?).

Thanks
    It's hard to say exactly how he went about it, but if linkage is responsible, I would assume once he managed to produce double visuals, he would get exceptionally good odds producing single visuals from them when bred to double hets, where almost all offspring are either one or the other visually.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    nikkubus that would also be a good indicator!

Looking at past mm ads it looks like Fireball Reptiles has also produced VPI axanthic desert ghost. Anyone know how hard the odds were for them?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I just heard that maybe some are having bad odds producing dreamcicles from the original double hets. Are the odds much much better if your double hets have a dreamsicle parent? Maybe those two mutations are linked on the same chromosome too?

Thanks
    I don't remember Justin (JKR) ever mentioning especially bad odds producing dreamsicles in the beginning or when trying to add in new morphs to the project. If random newish breeders are complaining about bad odds, my immediate presumption is they don't understand how low the odds are to begin with and/or don't understand genetics and are missing with 66/50% "hets", or even "100% hets" that someone lied about when selling to them.