Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,368

1 members and 1,367 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

My baby is missing

Last weekend I went to the river with my family, I made sure the tank was secure, but when I came back, the security method had failed, and he had gotten out. I have been searching every place we could think of, we also borrowed a device that detects heat & moisture, still no sign of him. Though the other day my grandpa came over, and discovered one little space we have yet to check, but it is way too small for anyone to reach into, but I did take some pictures, and they are way too blurry to really make anything out. We sort of have an idea of where he's been, the cat refuses to get into her cardboard box that she loves, and there were boxes with important documents & papers that were scattered, so we think either the dog or the cat may have been trying to run from it, or see what the heck it is (thankfully we don't have any prey animals.) Now it has been officially one week, and one day since I discovered his disappearance, and I've been real down. We also got a rat to try and entice him to eat, but ended up not really doing that, now he's becoming a pet, lol. Any tips on finding him, and/or further exploring that inaccessible space?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Check warm places..... The condenser area of your refrigerator for example. I've seen a few found there.

Then things like box springs, in dressers behind the drawers, closet shelves.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (08-24-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    Keep looking! BPs love to hide, they like snug places like cluttered closets or up, inside dressers full of clothing- even laundry baskets- & they're far better at hiding than we are at finding. Persist & try to imagine how scared he is, & where you'd first go in his place. They often don't even travel very far- some are even right behind their cages, or within 6' of it.

I hate to say this but your dog & cat are both potential predators, even if they subdue their behavior when you're around. Pay attention to where they nose around.

Snakes can go a long time without food, but also need water, & more often- the heat & A/C in our homes is very dehydrating. I hope you find him- I know what it's like to have a snake get loose- no fun! Snakes may get into walls if there's any gaps around plumbing pipes- or under kitchen or bathroom cupboards- there's often gaps behind the doors if you look from a snake's view, from the floor- & it's very hard to get them out of some places like this, other than enticing them with food, water & their cozy familiar cage* nearby- some actually will get back in, so if you think you know where he is & it's an inaccessible place (like in the wall), try leaving it* close by & hope. Remember your snake will hide by day & be active at night- you might also stay up late with a flashlight to be on watch. Good luck!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: My baby is missing

I agree with everything that’s been said. Most importantly, don’t give up and best wishes! 🙏🏾
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks

Re: My baby is missing

Quote Originally Posted by Missveronica View Post
    ... Any tips on finding him, and/or further exploring that inaccessible space?
    As far as "inaccessible spaces", what about using something like a flexible lighted scope?

Also called a USB Snake* Inspection Camera, such as this (below). I'm not endorsing any particular product- just showing the first one in my search- there's lots more to compare. (*And btw, they're not referring to the kind of snake you're looking for, lol. It's just descriptive, like a "plumber's snake"- not the real thing.) Or search terms "flexible camera probe" or "borescopes".

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...gQIARBC&adurl=

But even if you find him that way, getting him out is still a big problem- & without being too destructive, your only option may be to keep trying to entice him out with food, water & the safety of his home-sweet-home. Still, locating him is a big part of the battle. I know how long this week has seemed with him loose & lost, but people have found their pet snakes after a much longer time- months even- so don't give up.

I once had an adult bull snake get loose & she brumated from mid-November (when she got loose) until mid-May, when she reappeared out from under my kitchen cupboards after her long winter's snooze, ready for food but otherwise she was none-the-worse-for wear. Unfortunately, your "baby" BP won't have as much resilience, just because he's young (without body-weight reserves, he needs to be eating) and because he's more susceptible to chilly temperatures.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-24-2021 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks
    I've heard some say that an escaped snake will usually stick to the walls rather than venture into the center of a room, so maybe see if you can find any hiding places along the walls or in corners. Best of luck, I really hope you find him!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    OK, how big an old is your noodle? When did it eat last? Have you ever had field mice in your house?

If you want to find him after having the run of the place your gonna have to stay up or wake up at 2a.m.

Have all the lights off an tv or anything that makes noise. Just sit an wait. You'll hear him moving "if" he isn't under the house or in the walls.

If you've had mice, then he's following old smell an in the wall.

A live mouse or small rat in a cage in the middle of a room can draw him out.

An check your linen closet. You won't be the first one to grab a towel an have a friend with you.

Good luck!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-24-2021)

Thanks

Re: My baby is missing [Update]

We found him! At the expense of the bathroom cabinet, but finding him is more important.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Missveronica For This Useful Post:

arpowell (08-27-2021),AutumnVanilla (08-27-2021),ballpythonluvr (08-28-2021),Bleh (08-26-2021),Bogertophis (08-26-2021),GoingPostal (08-26-2021),Snagrio (08-26-2021),Spicey (08-27-2021)

Thanks
    That is AWESOME! I'm very happy for you- and for your "baby" ! Congratulations! Sorry about your cabinet, but that can be fixed, living pets cannot.

Thanks
    Does he seem like he's okay?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast