Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 647

1 members and 646 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Feeding Juvenile Reticulated python assistance

Hello All,

I am looking for a little guidance on how best to get my female juvenile ultra ivory retic to eat.

A brief history- I purchased her beginning of June and since then she has not eaten. Initially, she would strike, coil and then when checking on her later -she hadnt eaten the prey (frozen thawed- what she was fed prior to me receiving her). I continued to offer a meal once a week, yet still no interest. I tried smaller prey size and different variety- no interest.

She now will not even strike. I have resorted to force feeding her one time after having tried live (recommended to do). I supervised while offering live and she showed no interest. I have checked her temperatures on both the cool and hot side- accurate (with temp gun). She is set up in a grow out rack. I feel as though Im doing something stupid or overlooking something that is crucial which is why I am reaching out to the forum.

Ive had retics for a while and this is very much a first for me. Could this be something genetic? I appreciate any and all input you can offer up.

Thanks for reading.

- Matt

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    How was the previous owner preparing the food? Have you tried what they were doing? They did get it to eat before selling it?
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (08-23-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Not something I ever dealt with in a retic, but I've only ever had the two.

I'd make sure husbandry is right, make sure the prey size isn't too big. Are you feeding the same type of animal (rat, mouse, etc) as the breeder? Given she hasn't eaten in a while, I'd go a good deal smaller than what she would normally eat. Keep an eye out for signs of illness. It may be worth getting a fecal done just in case. I don't routinely do it on CBB, but a retic not eating is pretty out of the ordinary from what I understand. If your tubs are transparent or have windows, I'd try an observe her behavior and see if she gives you any clues.

Also, I don't know how often you are offering food, but too often after refusals can over stress them and make it worse. I'd be waiting at least 2 weeks in between offering for juv retic.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-23-2021)