Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,919

3 members and 2,916 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Food Size Question

Unless you are feeding for breeding, you might try introducing a prey size that produces a small bulge in the snake's body. The bulge should go away in two to three days. I've done that with my 21 month old BCI and he seems to be doing well. I learned that system from a top breeder on line who does a lot of educational videos. He does not weigh either the snake or the prey. All snakes are different so just take this as something to think about. You have a beautiful snake with a healthy rectangular body. Thanks for the great question!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 399 Posts
    It is kind of troubling that playing musical food (offering a refused prey item to another animal after the item has been in the other animal's enclosure) goes without comment. Not criticism, exactly, but just an expression of surprise.

It should be considered, anyway, that best care practices should include biosafety protocols between all animals in a collection: hand sanitizer/washing between handlings of one animal and the next, disinfection of equipment before reuse with next animal, and discarding of refused prey items that have contacted another animal or its enclosure contents, or been possibly exposed to respiratory droplets. Refreezing the prey item (bagged separately, of course, and labeled clearly) for future offering to the original animal is a safe way to reduce feeder waste.

This is especially relevant since snakes can and do carry pathogens asymptomatically that are fatal to snakes of other taxa; nidovirus is carried usually asymptomatically by boids and is symptomatic to quickly fatal in pythons. P. molurus carries the internal parasite Raillietiella orientalis with minimal symptoms but the worm affects colubrids and vipers much more strongly, as was found in Florida wild populations.

We don't know about all the possible reptile pathogens, nor will we ever have identified them all, so assuming that each animal is possibly contagious is one way to help make sure that if it is in fact carrying a pathogen that pathogen won't spread throughout a collection (where 'collection' means 'two or more animals').

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-12-2022),Homebody (01-12-2022),jmcrook (01-12-2022)

Thanks

Hey everyone. It’s been a minute since I’ve posted but wanted to checkin and get some advice again on prey size for my 5 year old male BCI. He’s been snacking on Medium FT rats for about 1.5 years; feeding every 14-18 days. For my next order I’m thinking about sprinkling in some large rats every couple of feedings while increasing the waiting period to 3 weeks when doing so. Does this sound like a wise plan or should I continue on mediums? Posting some pictures for size reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

Aspen0122 (05-03-2023),Bogertophis (05-02-2023),Gio (05-03-2023),Homebody (05-03-2023),RedRabbit (05-04-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    He's looking good. I'd keep him on mediums, personally- I don't like overfed snakes- it's not healthy for them. I had for many years a larger (female) BCI & she did great on medium rats. Only once I gave her a large rat & immediately regretted it- it was much harder for her to digest (& she was quite large too- 7 1/2' long & in her life, she got to roughly 8') & she looked uncomfortable for at least several days. I was very relieved that she kept it down & digested it, but I never did that again. Keep in mind that medium rats are leaner too, than large rats are. (large rats are older- typically former breeders)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Aspen0122 (05-03-2023),Gio (05-03-2023),Homebody (05-03-2023),RedRabbit (05-04-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    He's looking good. I'd keep him on mediums, personally- I don't like overfed snakes- it's not healthy for them. I had for many years a larger (female) BCI & she did great on medium rats. Only once I gave her a large rat & immediately regretted it- it was much harder for her to digest (& she was quite large too- 7 1/2' long & in her life, she got to roughly 8') & she looked uncomfortable for at least several days. I was very relieved that she kept it down & digested it, but I never did that again. Keep in mind that medium rats are leaner too, than large rats are. (large rats are older- typically former breeders)
    I appreciate the advice and definitely don't want to overfeed but more importantly didn't want the mediums to feel like it was too little for him since he's been on this size prey for awhile now.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

I like this comment. It makes sense, and that's a big boa!

I do things a bit differently but in the end things even out.

I feed larger prey monthly or sometimes a little longer, then I will not only switch up the size of the prey and will switch the prey animal.

My boa is coming up on 11 years old the end of June.

He typically eats large rats large quail and one to two pound rabbits.

The boa is NOT fed from October until March or April.

In order to do this, you have to know your snake and keep things reasonable. A 2 pound rabbit is a lot for my boa. Having said that, after his last rabbit of that size, he looked better than he's looked in years. His coloring really popped. I assume the nutrient qualities in rabbits may supersede that of rats. The snake is very lean.

I've never ever weighed food and I don't weigh the snakes.

This boa is around the 7 foot range, my guess is a little under.

In the spring, especially this year, he's active to the point of pushing. I suspect he'd like a mate but that's not going to happen.

There's no harm in offering a large rat. If it is too big, the snake either won't take it, or it will back out if the swallowing process is too difficult.

One of the more challenging prey items to swallow is quail. Oddly, quail can be much lighter than rats, but the shape gives the snake's gape a workout.

Trying something within reason won't hurt your animal. The wild ones take what they can, and that includes a variety of shapes, sizes and prey animals.

At 6 years old you can certainly stretch the time between feedings to 4 weeks.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aspen0122 (05-03-2023),Bogertophis (05-03-2023),ckuhn003 (05-03-2023),Homebody (05-03-2023),RedRabbit (05-04-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I like this comment. It makes sense, and that's a big boa!

I do things a bit differently but in the end things even out.

I feed larger prey monthly or sometimes a little longer, then I will not only switch up the size of the prey and will switch the prey animal.

My boa is coming up on 11 years old the end of June.

He typically eats large rats large quail and one to two pound rabbits.

The boa is NOT fed from October until March or April.

In order to do this, you have to know your snake and keep things reasonable. A 2 pound rabbit is a lot for my boa. Having said that, after his last rabbit of that size, he looked better than he's looked in years. His coloring really popped. I assume the nutrient qualities in rabbits may supersede that of rats. The snake is very lean.

I've never ever weighed food and I don't weigh the snakes.

This boa is around the 7 foot range, my guess is a little under.

In the spring, especially this year, he's active to the point of pushing. I suspect he'd like a mate but that's not going to happen.

There's no harm in offering a large rat. If it is too big, the snake either won't take it, or it will back out if the swallowing process is too difficult.

One of the more challenging prey items to swallow is quail. Oddly, quail can be much lighter than rats, but the shape gives the snake's gape a workout.

Trying something within reason won't hurt your animal. The wild ones take what they can, and that includes a variety of shapes, sizes and prey animals.

At 6 years old you can certainly stretch the time between feedings to 4 weeks.
    Thank you for the advice Gio! You're obviously doing something right with that beautiful boa of yours! He has a perfect shape and something I aim to mirror with mine.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

Gio (05-03-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    I appreciate the advice and definitely don't want to overfeed but more importantly didn't want the mediums to feel like it was too little for him since he's been on this size prey for awhile now.
    I really doubt that your snake is "keeping score"- BTW, in case you're wondering- my BCI lived to 18 years- in her final years she moved in w/ friends of mine that are into the bigger snakes. (She was never a snake I planned on having- as a yearling, she was a "free to any home" rescue that no one else wanted because she was an accomplished "fear biter" with everyone- I changed that having understood she was just terrified- I had no bites from her, ever.)

I agree with Gio's post too- just another way to look at it. Changing up prey items is a good idea actually, to ensure maximum nutrients. I've worried less about that since I've always raised my own rodents (& supplement their diets beyond what most sources do). My BCI always looked pretty awesome (highly iridescent) & was always healthy when I had her- she would not have refused any alternative prey, I'm sure, but I just didn't bother. ("if it ain't broke, don't fix it")

And for what it's worth, I never weigh my snakes* or their prey either. (*unless I was trying to dose a medication- which I haven't needed to do in years)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Gio (05-03-2023),Homebody (05-03-2023),RedRabbit (05-04-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

I really doubt that your snake is "keeping score"- BTW, in case you're wondering- my BCI lived to 18 years- in her final years she moved in w/ friends of mine that are into the bigger snakes. (She was never a snake I planned on having- as a yearling, she was a "free to any home" rescue that no one else wanted because she was an accomplished "fear biter" with everyone- I changed that having understood she was just terrified- I had no bites from her, ever.)

I agree with Gio's post too- just another way to look at it. Changing up prey items is a good idea actually, to ensure maximum nutrients. I've worried less about that since I've always raised my own rodents (& supplement their diets beyond what most sources do). My BCI always looked pretty awesome (highly iridescent) & was always healthy when I had her- she would not have refused any alternative prey, I'm sure, but I just didn't bother. ("if it ain't broke, don't fix it")

And for what it's worth, I never weigh my snakes* or their prey either. (*unless I was trying to dose a medication- which I haven't needed to do in years)
    Not to stray off topic too much, but congrats on 18 years. That's starting to get into long lived territory. I'm hoping to get to that mark and further with what I have left here.

It was very upsetting to lose my first, beautiful carpet mix. She ate like a Royal python and went months between feedings on occasion. Otherwise she ate like my others.

Even when you are doing what you think is right, things do happen. 9 years old was a short life.

I think the parties commenting on this thread are in agreement that overfeeding isn't healthy, and also isn't directly related to prey size, unless you are feeding something unreasonably large.

For boas, large rats are probably the limit when it comes to fat content. Quail and rabbits are a nice switch.

Also note that captive raised prey of any type will have more fat than what snakes eat in the wild.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-03-2023),ckuhn003 (05-03-2023),RedRabbit (05-04-2023)

Thanks
    Thank you for refreshing this post with your question, ckuhn003. My eldest boa Genesis will also be turning 5 this year, and I was wondering some of the same things you were about making sure we're feeding our boas appropriately.

All three of my boas (the other two are close to 4 years old) are currently on medium rats, spaced every 2-3 weeks. During the winter months, from the beginning of December through the end of February, I space their feedings further to every 4 weeks, or approximately monthly. I haven't yet done a full-blown winter fast like Gio described, but may consider it in future years. Since all three are males with smaller localities in the mix, I do not anticipate that they will ever need to go above medium rats for prey size.

Also @Gio, my boy Genesis has been especially restless this spring too - the drive to find a "girlfriend" is very noticeable in him this year compared to previous years.

My "aesthetic" posts aside, I had been meaning to ask you guys for your feedback from a health standpoint too - is the trio looking okay, body condition-wise? I just have the photos from the recent photoshoots for now, but I can take additional pics to get better full-body shots if needed.

Ball Pythons:
    2018 Cinnamon Enchi Ghost - Ignis ("Iggy")
    2018 Butter Mojave BEL - Ravus ("Rae")
    2022 Albino Super Lesser - Cyrus ("Cy")

Boa Imperator:
    2018 Hypo Blood - Genesis ("Gen")
    2019 IMG Motley - Requiem ("Q")
    2019 Sharp Blizzard - Elysium ("Elys")

Iggy&Rae on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/iggy_and_rae

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (05-05-2023),Gio (05-05-2023)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast