Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,556

1 members and 2,555 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Newbie That just needs some advice about how to progress with a stubborn eater

so the best course of action would be to just another 7 days without bothering him and then try again ? will post pictures soon waiting on a friend to send them over from when i weighed him.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Re: Newbie That just needs some advice about how to progress with a stubborn eater

Quote Originally Posted by skreetboy View Post
    so the best course of action would be to just another 7 days without bothering him and then try again ? will post pictures soon waiting on a friend to send them over from when i weighed him.
    Correct. Your little guy will come around eventually, he just needs some time to adjust and destress.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-19-2021),skreetboy (08-19-2021)

Thanks

sounds good to me i’ll be sure to post the pictures and keep everyone updated on what’s going on but i’m not gonna mess with him at all and try to offer him a live hopper next Wednesday. i appreciate everyone helping me out and replying it means a lot.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skreetboy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-19-2021),Snagrio (08-19-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Also forgot to mention this but I noticed in your initial post that you mentioned removing the hides for one of the feeding attempts. Do not do this. Ball pythons are ambush hunters and prefer to strike from a hiding place, and I know with mine he also tends to drag his meals into a hide to eat in privacy. Your snake is already skittish and nervous enough to not eat, so it's important that he has that security at all times.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-19-2021),GoingPostal (08-22-2021),skreetboy (08-19-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,800 Times in 11,831 Posts
    No handling the snake until it's settled in & feeding reliably (at least 3+ times for a hatchling- more is better, safer). Weighing a snake IS "handling"...don't do it! The time to weigh was right when you got him home & had to handle anyway. After that, not until he's settled in & feeding, or you can put him off eating at all. Eating is "job #1". Do NOT handle. Same goes for taking pictures- that can wait until your new snake is feeding reliably, not just after one meal.

Many new snakes (of any age) won't eat right away, in the first week or more. They need time, & LOTS of privacy. New homes are very scary for them.

Feed EXACTLY what the snake was eating before you got them- make no changes until they're feeding reliably. If live, then feed live. If mouse, feed mouse. If rat, feed rat, as rodents all smell & (presumably) taste different.

Hatchlings are still learning & need to focus on just being a snake- feeling safe & secure, & learning to deal with prey- NOT with humans. So try to stay out of their way- keep their enclosure in a quiet place, block their "view" if needed. Avoid making adjustments to their home unless essential- the time to do that was before the snake arrived. Make sure the hides are the right size ("snug") so the snake feels safely hidden.

If food is refused, don't keep offering right away- that adds to their stress & almost guarantees a failure. For a thin hatchling, wait at least 4-5 days before a retry; otherwise, wait a week or more before you try to feed again. Feed only at night, in dim light. Try not to be noticeable.

BPs are ambush-predators (as noted above)- they won't likely accept food when out in the "open" moving around in their home. The best time to offer prey is when they're peeking out of their hide in the evening/night hours, because this is their version of "hunting". They have their own predators to worry about too.

Above all be patient- & remember that eating is job #1 for a baby snake.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (08-22-2021),skreetboy (08-19-2021)

Thanks

thanks for the great advice both hides fit him well and he uses both. I'm gonna try again next week to feed him a live hopper.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to skreetboy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-19-2021)

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 19,800 Times in 11,831 Posts

He's a handsome little guy. And just be patient with him- you'll get there, & have many years to enjoy handling him & getting to know him better.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

skreetboy (08-19-2021)

Thanks

Thanks so much!! yeah, I got worried after a week and wanted to get his weight, rookie mistake but I'm leaving him be till next Wednesday then at night ill feed live hopper. should I take out his water bowl or just leave everything the way it is?

Thanks

Thanks so much!! yeah, I got worried after a week and wanted to get his weight, rookie mistake but I'm leaving him be till next Wednesday then at night ill feed live hopper. should I take out his water bowl or just leave everything the way it is?
    Leave his water bowl. You’ll also have higher success if you feed in a room with little to no light. Also sitting there watching them doesn’t help either lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast