Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,868

0 members and 2,868 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Time to size up cage? Please help!

Hi! I’m looking for a new vivarium for my ball python - banana cinnamon I think. She (or he - was told she was a girl but then at payment they weren’t sure). I’ve had her since November 2019 from a bubba. Last weighing (end of June she was 990 grams, but that was after a month of not eating - and this was the first time she’d done this, she’s back to eating every 10 days and always has a healthy shed so she is probably more than 1000 now. I think I scared her with a FT rat size increase.

Anyway, her current Viv is 30x12x12 inches. I think it’s time to size up - would the exo Terra large wide cage be good for her adult life? It’s 38x18x18. Or would I need larger? If so what would you all recommend please? I don’t want it to be too small!

I can’t seem to post any pictures for reference 😩 but she’s probably 35inches long and maybe 8 inches circumference at widest part?

thanks in advance for the help!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Depends how big she gets. Regardless, I would caution doing glass enclosures even if that's what she already has. Changing to PVC can be a game changer for husbandry stability. You could be on a wait list a good long while depending which company you go through, but she should be okay in what she has long enough to manage that wait as long as it's not too crazy and you aren't overfeeding.

If you want to make absolutely sure you won't need to upgrade again, I would go with 4'x2'x1'. That size would handle even the largest female BPs quite comfortably. Animal Plastics appears to have that size on sale right now in the "quick ship" section. If you like the look of taller enclosures you can always go with a taller one with the same footprint.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-18-2021)

Thanks

Re: Time to size up cage? Please help!

Thank you! I will definitely have a look at PVC. I do have to mist daily and also constantly have a wet towell on top of the mesh lid to keep the humidity right, and it’s almost impossible to bring the cold end to an appropriate temp in summer!

At the moment I feed her a small rat (just moved up from large weaning) every 10-12ish days.

thanks for the recommendation!