Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,878

3 members and 2,875 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

plastic enclosures

hey everyone. just doing some more research.. eventually when i upgrade to a bigger enclosure for my ball python i was thinking about getting a plastic. rubbermaid i guess.. im having trouble maintaining heat and humidity in the glass tanks. i was wondering how you apply heat. can you put an UTH. i would thinkn ot but im really not sure. so basically i needed to know what the best brand container would be and the best way to maintain heat and humidity in the enclosure. thanks for the help. nick

Thanks

Re: plastic enclosures

Hola Nick,

Have you checked the DIY section for the info on plastic enclosures? Get you a direct link in a second.

Brand-wise it's really up to you - I think a lot of folks use Rubbermaid and Sterelite just because they are so ubiquitous (walMart/Target sure stocke em).

Both heat and humidity are much easier to maintain in these (nto to mention the possibility of adding better cross-ventilation) - and I speak as a former die-hard tank guy. UTH's can indeed be used with these but I would not reccomend you use any which dictate they be stuck to the bottom with some sort of adhesive.

Link in a sec.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....warticle&id=40

I dont use the ceramic emitter or lamp perched on the lid of mine - so you can safely ignore that portion unless you are bent on including those (most folks may not use either of those for BPs). I only melt (solder iron) maybe 2-3 holes in the lid with the rest distributed around the sides.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks

what brand UTH would be best. thanks for the link.

Thanks

I have used zoo-med, exoterra, and Ultratherm UTH's. I like the Ultratherm because it does not have a sticky side, you just sit it underneath the tub. Most people on this site will advise the use of flex-watt. I have never used it, but have only heard wonderful things about it...see Matt @ mg reptiles, he'll help. You will also hear people tell you that you need to get a thermostat. All UTH's need to be run on a thermostat or lamp dimmer. I can tell you that I resisted spending the money for way too long....I used a lamp dimmer, and had to adjust it several times per day, and I was always worried about my temps. Everyone here is right when they suggest purchasing a t-stat...it is worth every penny! (again, Matt at MG).
    1.0 BP; Sir Hiss (I have a cartoon problem)
    0.1 Blizzard Corn; Princess Fiona (Gaelic=white, fair)
    4.0 Yellow Labs; Drake, Goose, Mojo, Buddy
    1.1 Scarlet Macaws; Ace, Duece
    3.0 American Bison; Death, Danny, Bambi
    10.10 Race Horses (number changes a lot)

Thanks

thanks for the help. im making the switch this weekend.

Thanks

i'd like to second the use of a thermostat! imo, this is a must have for the proper setup to care for bp's. if you wamt to comparison shop you can check out

www.reptilebasics.com they have alot of heating supplies and have a good price. i've bought from them before, no problems. rich will match or beat prices in most cases!

vaughn