Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,842

0 members and 2,842 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Would one bulb be enough to heat an entire 6x2x3 enclosure?

It’ll be 180x60x80cm, or roughly 6x2x3ft and PVC. I’ll use Arcadia for UVB, but I’m unsure what type of heat lamp to use.

Here’s a picture of what the enclosure will look like(slightly different dimensions and without the pole, but you get the idea). The red bulb in the corner is where the heat lamp will be. https://imgur.com/a/J3lHDZ3

I’m concerned that one bulb won’t be enough to heat the entire enclosure, but I also don’t want to drill holes to have another bulb. There will be a heat panel in my boas enclosure that the beardies enclosure will sit on, so that’ll bring up the ambient temp a bit. The panel runs 24/7 at 34-40C(to the touch). My room sits around 19-20C.

Do you think one bulb will be enough? What bulb(s) do you guys recommend?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Would one bulb be enough to heat an entire 6x2x3 enclosure?

Have you looked into MVBs? I've linked the brand and type I used for keeping both bearded dragons and uromastyxs. Full disclosure, it's been a few years since I had either, but when I did have them they lives comfortably in 4x2x2 enclosures with one of these and a tube UVB bulb to cover 3/4 of the encosure. MVBs put out a lot of heat, so you can really perfect a basking spot, and it helps with ambient temps.

Now as far as the enclosure you linked, I don't know that I'd keep a bearded dragon in there, but that's just me. The picture you linked looks like a PVC enclosure, and I prefered to keep mine in Zen Habitats' wood panel enclosures. They have huge screen tops that provide plenty of circulation that you really need when you're keeping something at the tempratures a beardie needs. Just my 2 cents though, I'm sure you can make this work, but wanted to offer an alternative.

https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-powers...iABEgL2SPD_BwE

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-16-2021),luckylukey (08-16-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Have you looked into MVBs? I've linked the brand and type I used for keeping both bearded dragons and uromastyxs. Full disclosure, it's been a few years since I had either, but when I did have them they lives comfortably in 4x2x2 enclosures with one of these and a tube UVB bulb to cover 3/4 of the encosure. MVBs put out a lot of heat, so you can really perfect a basking spot, and it helps with ambient temps.

Now as far as the enclosure you linked, I don't know that I'd keep a bearded dragon in there, but that's just me. The picture you linked looks like a PVC enclosure, and I prefered to keep mine in Zen Habitats' wood panel enclosures. They have huge screen tops that provide plenty of circulation that you really need when you're keeping something at the tempratures a beardie needs. Just my 2 cents though, I'm sure you can make this work, but wanted to offer an alternative.

https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-powers...iABEgL2SPD_BwE

Thank you!

That’s a good point, there’s a panel of mesh running along the back of the enclosure, but it might not be enough. I’ll check with the company and see what they think. I’m in Sweden so Zen aren’t available here.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to luckylukey For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (08-16-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by luckylukey View Post
    I’m in Sweden so Zen aren’t available here.
    Yea I apologize I didn't see that until after I posted. I wasn't recommending Zen, although I do they're great, just the design. With high heat low humitiy animals I like the mesh lids like that. Though if the company you're ordering from thinks that the venting is enough then you should be fine.

I just prefer the full mesh tops so you can sit as many heating elements as you want up there (within reason of course) and create a bunch of micro climates within the enclosure.

Either way though best of luck to you, I love bearded dragons and think they're super rewarding to keep.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-16-2021),luckylukey (08-16-2021)