Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,316

1 members and 3,315 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

I have a new baby BP

I went to a small reptile show and bought a baby BP. He is a Banana Spider Pastel Trick-Female maker.

He is a little guy, but very healthy. I put him into a small tub in a rack. Filled the tub with substrare, water bowl, and two large artificial plants, so he has hiding places.

I know I can't handle him at least for a week.

Just wondering if its okay to open the tub and look at him?

Also, when I was moving his plants around and accidently pocked him, he lightly hissed.

It's sooo hard to resist not plaing with him all day long.

Any input is welcomed.

I will post pics of him soon
    Female BP Lilly
    Male Banana 4 gene morph BP Rock Star
    🐶🐶
    🐾Male Pittie mix King🐾
    😍Female American Bully Dolce😍

Thanks
    I wouldn't, it doesn't do any good and your snake will prefer to be left alone. After the week you can handle a little but very sparingly until he gets used to you. Personally I wouldn't handle until after the first meal (shouldn't be offered until the one-week mark) with you but that's up to you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

JaggerLilly (08-15-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    Congrats on your new "family member"-

Snakes need actual "hide boxes" with only one opening (not overly-large), that will feel fairly snug for their body size (no high ceilings, please?); if you buy hides* that are still too big, you can stuff some paper into them so they feel more cozy while your snake grows- BPs don't usually "re-arrange the furniture" much, & he'll probably accept the hides. *For best results, provide 2 identical hides, one on the cool (unheated) part of the enclosure, & one that is on the warm side. This is because snakes instinctively choose "security" over the proper temperature, so if they prefer the cool hide, they may not digest well (ie. could regurgitate their meal). As an example of what we mean by "hides": https://www.reptilebasics.com/hide-boxes But for the time being, you can also cut a "door-way" into small clean cardboard boxes for your snake to snuggle into.

A snake that doesn't feel SAFE is not likely to eat for you...thus you need to not only provide actual hides, but also avoid disrupting him by opening his container. You should only be watching him if you can do so without the vibrations of opening or moving the cage- because he'll be acutely aware of you EVERY time you do so. Try to imagine being in "his shoes": would YOU feel comfortable with a huge "predator" staring at you? Nope. And to a snake, that's exactly what we seem to be. It takes time for them to learn otherwise & trust us. Don't rush this- put the health of your snake first, and know that feeding is "job #1".

I've recently posted this on another thread but obviously it bears repeating.

No handling the snake until it's settled in & feeding reliably (at least 3+ times for a hatchling- more is better, safer). Weighing a snake IS "handling"...don't do it! The time to weigh was right when you got him home & had to handle anyway. After that, not until he's settled in & feeding, or you can put him off eating at all. Eating is "job #1". Do NOT handle.

Many new snakes (of any age) won't eat right away, in the first week or more. They need time, & LOTS of privacy.

Feed EXACTLY what the snake was eating before you got them- make no changes until they're feeding reliably. If live, then feed live. If mouse, feed mouse. If rat, feed rat, as rodents all smell & (presumably) taste different.

Hatchlings are still learning & need to focus on just being a snake- feeling safe & secure, & learning to deal with prey- NOT with humans. So try to stay out of their way- keep their enclosure in a quiet place, block their "view" if needed. Avoid making adjustments to their home unless essential- the time to do that was before the snake arrived. Make sure the hides are the right size so the snake feels hidden.

If food is refused, don't keep offering right away- that adds to their stress & almost guarantees a failure. For a thin hatchling, wait 4-5 days before a retry; otherwise, wait a week or more before you try to feed again. Feed only at night, in dim light. Try not to be noticeable.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (08-15-2021),Erie_herps (08-15-2021),GoingPostal (08-16-2021),JaggerLilly (08-15-2021)

Thanks
    Believe me, I do understand your frustration...wanting to see & interact with your new snake, but you'll likely have many years to do so, especially if you can get him off to a healthy start, eating & settling in first. I know, because I've done this many times over many years -making my own share of mistakes at first, & with more snakes than I can even count, lol. Hang in there, let him "settle".

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

JaggerLilly (08-15-2021)

Thanks

Re: I have a new baby BP

Quote Originally Posted by JaggerLilly View Post
    ...I will post pics of him soon
    We LOVE pics here, but AFTER he's settled & eating for you is truly soon enough. We can wait too, your little beep's well-being comes first.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (08-15-2021),JaggerLilly (08-15-2021)

Thanks

Looks like he is now in blue. With such a light color snake, its tough to determine pre-shed. No wonder he was hissing yesterday. Poor little guy.

I will be getting him a hide, as suggested. Thank you

I took an old plastic container with lid and cut a hole in the lid. Also put some moist substrate in there. Put that into his tub. Incase he wants to use it to help him shed. Plus, it will increase overall humidity in his bin.

Am I missing anything else?
    Female BP Lilly
    🐶🐶
    🐾Male Pittie mix King🐾

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JaggerLilly View Post
    Looks like he is now in blue. With such a light color snake, its tough to determine pre-shed. No wonder he was hissing yesterday. Poor little guy.

I will be getting him a hide, as suggested. Thank you

I took an old plastic container with lid and cut a hole in the lid. Also put some moist substrate in there. Put that into his tub. Incase he wants to use it to help him shed. Plus, it will increase overall humidity in his bin.

Am I missing anything else?
    Yeah, don't take it personal (his hissing), lol. He's just scared, & snakes don't understand why or how their familiar world has changed when they moved in with us- it takes time for them to feel safe in their new home, + being observed by some huge monster (us, lol), & being in shed on top of that... well, you get the idea. You'll both get beyond this- be patient. You'd be scared too, if you were in his place.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (08-16-2021),JaggerLilly (08-16-2021)

Thanks
    too late now, but are you familiar with the spider issues? Some have reaeeeally bad wobbles or corkscrews, its just some really weird neurological stuff and can even make it hard to feed. They look awesome but have some issues. So if you didn't know and because you didn't take him/her out you wouldn't know. So if he's flipping around in your hands or being weird its probably just the spider part so don't worry

Thanks
    some have it bad, others dont. So dont expect anything bad but they can be, hope i didn't discourage you or anything

Thanks

Yes, I am very much aware of the spider issue. He is healthy and of course I did hold him, prior to purchase.
    As long as he remains in excellent health, he will eventually be bred to my Normal female.

And, going further and when I get more snakes in the near future, I will try to avoid the spider gene.
    Female BP Lilly
    🐶🐶
    🐾Male Pittie mix King🐾