Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,346

3 members and 3,343 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Any harm in feeding two rats?

Had some feeding issues with my guy in 2019 (https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...hlight=erikamc) switched him to small rats and, other than his usual couple month eating strike in the winter, he's been doing great. Lately though, he seems to be looking for more after he eats. Would there be any harm in offering him a second rat? and, would I do that right after he eats the first one, a couple hours later or a day later?

Thanks

Re: Any harm in feeding two rats?

Quote Originally Posted by Erikamc View Post
    Had some feeding issues with my guy in 2019 (https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...hlight=erikamc) switched him to small rats and, other than his usual couple month eating strike in the winter, he's been doing great. Lately though, he seems to be looking for more after he eats. Would there be any harm in offering him a second rat? and, would I do that right after he eats the first one, a couple hours later or a day later?
    Can you weigh him?

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Typically a BP is going to remain in "feeding mode" for awhile after they eat. If he's on small rats you shouldn't need to give him a second.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (08-15-2021),Bogertophis (08-13-2021),dakski (08-13-2021),jmcrook (08-13-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

...he seems to be looking for more after he eats. Would there be any harm in offering him a second rat? and, would I do that right after he eats the first one, a couple hours later or a day later?
    As already mentioned, snakes can stay in "feed mode" for hours or even a day or more- best you don't "fall for it". Not only because you risk creating an overweight snake, but more likely, that second rodent can make him regurgitate them both, & snakes can even die from a regurgitation (they can aspirate into their lungs or cause other damage), so it's a risk for sure. Besides, if you've ever smelled a regurgitated rodent, you'd know you never want to repeat the experience, even if the snake succeeds without harm.

And to put "feed mode" in human terms, it's much like when we eat too fast for our brain to fully register that we're full, so we keep on eating & only realize later just how stuffed we are. OK?

The only way that feeding 2 rodents is okay is if the weight of them together is roughly equal or less than the weight that ONE rodent of the appropriate size would be- AND: you'd need to feed one right after the other- within an hour or less for best results. Otherwise, the second one will disrupt the digestive process of the first one -there won't be enough digestive enzymes to do a good job when the second one comes along- & it's likely to cause a regurgitation. As I already explained, it's really essential that you avoid causing this to happen- it's a risk to your snake, & smells REALLY gross.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-13-2021 at 12:09 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-13-2021),GoingPostal (08-13-2021),Hugsplox (08-13-2021)

Thanks

I can weigh him but will wait a couple days before doing so. But if he's just messing with me and claiming he's still hungry when he isn't then he's just going to have to be happy with his one rat! thanks guys!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erikamc For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-13-2021),dakski (08-13-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

I skimmed through your previous thread and saw that you’ve had the snake since 2016 and he’s well north of 1kg. If that’s the case, and you’re usually feeding him small rats, I see no issues with offering a 2nd small on occasion even though I’d probably opt to just feed him a medium rat instead. When I do offer a 2nd prey item I’ll do so right after they finish the first one or I’ll just drop it in the cage and they’ll find and eat it right after they’re done with the first one.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    Personally, if I thought a snake needed a "bit more", I'd prefer to feed the same (smaller size) but slightly sooner (meals closer together), rather than upsizing to a medium rat, because they can digest one easier than 2. (2 rats have a larger "surface area", ie. a larger proportion of undigestible fur in that one meal) So if my snake was eating every 2 weeks, for example, I might feed it every 10-12 days; you always want to allow plenty of time for good digestion too. But depending on your snake's size & other factors (age & activity levels, etc) a medium isn't necessarily wrong either. Snakes are pretty flexible.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

I always have my local shop scour their box freezer for the smallest of the small-fry rats they have on hand. And I just keep those little sad runts around for when my snakes want that 2nd helping or a midweek snack. They can easily digest it as long as you're not pushing their primary meal to some size extreme. I've always had better success keeping my snakes on feed with the continual little rat snacks and 2nd portions here and there rather than giving them one ginormous taxing rodent. They can easily not be in the mood for a massive rat but will almost always go for the warm rat snacks. YMMV