Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,816

0 members and 2,816 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Negatives of if captive breeding with snakes happen a lot earlier in time?

What I mean by that is, how much worse would current morph breeding issues be if they happened further back in time when animal well-being wasn't considered nearly as important? To give an idea I've thought of parallels with other current day "breeds." Most of these are more ball python-related than anything else since those are what I'm most familiar with, but they could be generalized since who knows what selective breeding could cause in other species.

Snakes with bug eyes would be considered cute and bred to make them absurdly massive (celestial and bubble-eye goldfish).

The wobble issue wouldn't be thought of as much of a deal and simply treated as a mere quirk until eventually there would be swaths of individuals that can barely move properly (fainting goats).

"Duckbilling" would be a desired appearance and the trait would become grossly exaggerated until some snakes had perpetual breathing issues (any given smush-faced dog/cat breed).

Kinking would also possibly be seen as desirable, leading to generations with horrific skeletal deformations (balloon mollies).

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    In the early 70’s most of the trade was wild caught. Now, breeders supply the need an improve the trade.

The 70’s trade never would from bred what we have now.
    My .02.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Re: Negatives of if captive breeding with snakes happen a lot earlier in time?

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    In the early 70’s most of the trade was wild caught. Now, breeders supply the need an improve the trade.

The 70’s trade never would from bred what we have now.
    My .02.
    My point was what if captive breeding DID start much earlier. A hypothetical scenario where reptiles were able to be kept more properly since, say, the turn of the 20th century at the very least and captive breeding was widespread. Which would not only give far more time for morphs to develop, but it also would've been at a time where the ethics of selective breeding were far less scrutinized as a whole.

Thanks
    I don't think it would be much different. There doesn't seem to be much interest in breeding ball pythons for anything but color/pattern. The deformities come with the color/gene seeking and aren't specifically bred for. My guess is certain color genes would be cheaper now because they've been bred longer or genes we don't know of now would be currently in the works.
    Last edited by Trinityblood; 08-10-2021 at 09:18 PM.