Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,361

3 members and 3,358 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Humidity fluctuations

My house stays at 40-45% humidity (at least in the summer, not sure about the winter). When I spray my enclosure (I spray and mix so the top layer is not moist) my enclosure will get up to 90-95% humidity. This usually only lasts a few hours then goes down to 85 ish on the side with water bowl and 75 on side without water bowl. As the hours pass, my humidity keeps lowering and lowering. After 48 hours, the side with water bowl is at 60-65% and side without is 50%. Another 12 or so hours and the side without water bowl is 45-50 and with bowl is 55 usually. I even have a huge bowl of Sphagnum moss on the side without my water bowl (picture attached). I don’t know why the moss isn’t helping. My main question is: is it ok for my humidity to fluctuate this much in this period of time? If not how do I fix this? I should also mention: I use a 36x18x24 exo tera front opening enclosure with a screen lid. I have foil and cardboard covering the top all but the part where my CHE is (my cool side to get temps to 75-78°) and my hot side is at 88-90 and has a heat mat underneath. My water dish is on my cool side side (side that always has more humidity) and my Moss is on the hot side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by EthanMG; 08-08-2021 at 09:38 AM.

Thanks

Re: Humidity fluctuations

Quote Originally Posted by EthanMG View Post
    My house stays at 40-45% humidity (at least in the summer, not sure about the winter). When I spray my enclosure (I spray and mix so the top layer is not moist) my enclosure will get up to 90-95% humidity. This usually only lasts a few hours then goes down to 85 ish on the side with water bowl and 75 on side without water bowl. As the hours pass, my humidity keeps lowering and lowering. After 48 hours, the side with water bowl is at 60-65% and side without is 50%. Another 12 or so hours and the side without water bowl is 45-50 and with bowl is 55 usually. I even have a huge bowl of Sphagnum moss on the side without my water bowl (picture attached). I don’t know why the moss isn’t helping. My main question is: is it ok for my humidity to fluctuate this much in this period of time? If not how do I fix this? I should also mention: I use a 36x18x24 exo tera front opening enclosure with a screen lid. I have foil and cardboard covering the top all but the part where my CHE is (my cool side to get temps to 75-78°) and my hot side is at 88-90 and has a heat mat underneath. My water dish is on my cool side side (side that always has more humidity) and my Moss is on the hot side

Personally mine sits at 50% year round, I'm lucky enough to live in a Canadian rain forest. I think the issue you're having here is that exos aren't overly great for holding humidity in, a lot of people for this reason modify them with plexiglass to retain humidity. Sitting at 50% is usually ok unless your BP is in shed, then you'd wanna raise it to like 70 ot 80 if they tend to have a hard time. Is your bowl big enough to soak in? Usually the bigger the bowl the better as it contributes to the humidity.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cuddlykhajiit For This Useful Post:

EthanMG (08-08-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlykhajiit View Post
    Personally mine sits at 50% year round, I'm lucky enough to live in a Canadian rain forest. I think the issue you're having here is that exos aren't overly great for holding humidity in, a lot of people for this reason modify them with plexiglass to retain humidity. Sitting at 50% is usually ok unless your BP is in shed, then you'd wanna raise it to like 70 ot 80 if they tend to have a hard time. Is your bowl big enough to soak in? Usually the bigger the bowl the better as it contributes to the humidity.

Thanks for your reply, Yes, my little ball is still small, he’s about 150g. He can soak in the bowl right now at least. It holds 12 oz, but I fill it up with 8. I thought ball pythons needed 60-75% humidity? Also, the foil and cardboard covers the top like plexiglass, it is serving the same purpose just a lot cheaper.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply, Yes, my little ball is still small, he’s about 150g. He can soak in the bowl right now at least. It holds 12 oz, but I fill it up with 8. I thought ball pythons needed 60-75% humidity? Also, the foil and cardboard covers the top like plexiglass, it is serving the same purpose just a lot cheaper.

Yeah honestly I used to take tape and put it on top, had to change that up because my cat thinks it's a place for him to sit. So plexiglass it is lol. They need 50 to 60 percent.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlykhajiit View Post
    Yeah honestly I used to take tape and put it on top, had to change that up because my cat thinks it's a place for him to sit. So plexiglass it is lol. They need 50 to 60 percent.

Haha thanks

Thanks

Haha thanks

No problem.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cuddlykhajiit For This Useful Post:

EthanMG (08-08-2021)