Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,116

2 members and 3,114 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Registered User BlackBayouReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

Rat Rack Question

So Im brand new to rat keeping in general and thus have not had a rat rack system before. Just have a question regarding the feed hopper in the rear of the rack.

At the rear of the ARS rack there is a feed bin that you dump the pellets into, and it appears that its designed to let the rats manipulate the pellets and bite at them from below while situated in the tub.

I only have 3 colonies that havent started breeding yet so the need for a full hopper just isnt there yet. Can you spread a thin layer (1 deep) across the grate? My main concern is that the looser pellets will roll around too much and not let them bite off what they need. At this point im wondering if a thicker layer has to be present in the hopper to hold down the lower layer and prevent them from rolling around so that the rats have a more solid bite on what theyre after.

At present what Im hearing is them trying to get at the pellets and you can clearly hear them rolling around at time when they fail to hold onto it. I tried to attach a picture to the post but it seems you cant just upload one (assuming Im not missing something).

Now maybe thats the design,maybe theyre supposed to work for it a bit for mental stimulation..I have no idea. I just dont want my lil friends to starve out.
    Last edited by BlackBayouReptiles; 08-07-2021 at 03:56 PM.