Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,746

1 members and 2,745 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: How did retics get so popular?

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Heck, even a ball python. Mine has done that to me a couple times and even with his size his strength is deceptive. Granted I probably could easily pry my hands free and it's more of a matter of carefully encouraging him to move off so I don't hurt him, but the point is any snake that relies on constriction (and even those that don't) shouldn't be underestimated regardless of size. That tube of a body is all MUSCLE, and they know how to use it.
    primates are also made of muscle - a lot of them in fact but for clarification, is it being suggested ball pythons are dangerous and require a team of people to manage?
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 06-07-2022 at 01:49 AM.
    het for nothing but groovy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Many actually disagree with that- I do agree that snakes can be reliably tamed, but at the same time I will also say that even with experience & careful observation (etc) that while many of our snakes may be "tame", that still doesn't preclude some unpredictable behavior- and while that may be rare, if you're talking about a dangerous snake (very large or hot), that's something you should always keep in mind. There's no guarantee. There is some percentage of snakes that will refuse to tame down, or do so with great reluctance, & it depends on the species, obviously, how common that is, but at least with them, you know what to expect.
    every animal on earth is unpredictable and from my perspective, as someone who’s exclusive kept arachnids and now big snake species - it’s amazing the animals people keep which are unpredictable, have body counts, and are objectively dangerous, if not invasive eg: dogs, cats, farm animals, etc but no one thinks anything of it at all - my opa’s friend owns a dairy farm and once had his prized, favorite cow kick him in the head and collapse his skull - point being, it seems odd to me that we view one set of animals one way and another set a different way

what i find difficult in sifting through anecdotes is the lack of precise information which is needed to properly analyze what took place and why i.e. how many negative stories involve WC specimens, acquired at adult hood, involve a timid/inexperienced keeper, etc - crucial variables which could complete change the conclusions which could be drawn from X anecdote

a wild dog could be dangerous and vicious comparative to a captive born dog, bred from a long line of pet dogs, and so on - i mean no one would say you shouldn’t own a chow-chow, pit bull, Rottweiler, etc just that they need to be trained, socialized, and handled correctly and yet these are dogs which have chewed children’s faces off
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 06-07-2022 at 02:05 AM.

Thanks

this video highlights what i mean about handling aggressive snakes - i think there is techniques that can be used and expanded upon here but would note i would say this applies to big snakes in the 8-10 foot range and not something massive like a 15+ green anaconda - of course it could be plainly seen why some people may not want to deal with that but still

Thanks

also this video as well:

which I’m sure they themselves like anyone else could be criticized but again through critical analysis comes insight, innovation and wisdom

Thanks

and one more - personally i would say too that i have found wearing thick gloves, protective goggles, mask, etc has really helped in slowly getting my scrub where i would like them to be and in a safe way and it is my hope that overtime i can subtract things and just free handle - all my other snakes I’ve gotten to a point where I can reach down, grab them, touch their head, etc with no problems or jerking, etc - not there with a my scrub quite yet but we’re getting there

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post

eg: personal capabilities - i regularly curl 75 lbs, sometimes 100 lbs per arm as part of my lifting routine, so outside of reckoning with length, i am perfectly capable of supporting a 50-60 pound animal with 1 arm or 150-200 lbs with both arms combined and this is likely to increase overtime (insha’allah)
    Look on youtube at the men capable of curling 100lbs per arm. lol

About 15 years ago an acquaintance of mine had a friend who was taking care of a sick, underweight retic. (I saw photos of the snake...skinny pathetic looking critter.

He carried a fixed blade knife on his belt as a just in case the crap hit the fan last resort. He died from asphyxiation. The snake had multiple stab wounds. 9 footer.

You'd do best to keep what you have to gain a better understanding. Of everything.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bns For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-07-2022),Gio (06-07-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

am curious as to what were the antecedent behaviors which lead to the primary behavior which prompted 2 adults to run out of a room 🧐
    I did not leave the room as I was head and shoulders deep into cleaning an enclosure. My SD retic threat-charged (periscoped a few feet up in the air, mouth-open, chased) my 6'3 240 lb cop friend out of the room. I got a bit of a chuckle out of it.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-07-2022),Gio (06-07-2022),Homebody (06-07-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

primates are also made of muscle - a lot of them in fact but for clarification, is it being suggested ball pythons are dangerous and require a team of people to manage?
    The point is constrictor snakes have a lot more strength than initially supposed. I don't recall any records of a ball python killing someone, but I still wouldn't, say, drape one over my neck out of precaution.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

...also comes down to not doing stupid stuff imo eg: putting a big snake around your neck...
    The problem with "big" (long) snakes is that you don't have to do something stupid like putting them around your neck- they can rapidly GO there by themselves, & 2 hands are not always enough to restrain them & prevent them from doing so.

For large snakes the best protocol (no matter how much experience or strength you have) is to have other experienced people* on hand "in case", EVERY time it's necessary to work with (feed/handle/clean) such snakes. It's just like a skilled athlete doing gymnastics has a "spotter" standing by to assist- usually don't they need them, but that one time they do, it's golden.

*How many are needed depends on how big the snake is, as well as it's attitude. If it's not possible to have back-up when working with big snakes, you just really shouldn't have them- others have thought themselves strong enough & experienced enough to get out of any "situations" but they've been wrong. We don't want to read about you in the paper, truly. Accidents reflect badly on our "community" of snake keepers, & if we don't regulate ourselves, others will. And many are looking for every opportunity to do so- just keep that in mind. There's no shortage of people that hate snakes & that we keep them.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-07-2022 at 02:05 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Gio (06-07-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    This discussion has switched gears however, I am a little concerned that people may get the wrong idea about human, physical strength when it comes to fending off an apex predator like a reticulated python.

A 9 foot retic is no joke, and anything larger is more dangerous if things go wrong. Squatting, deadlifting, curling and bench pressing heavy weights will maybe give you an edge over somebody smaller and not as strong but I'm sorry, curling 75 pounds or any lifting ability goes out the window if the snake surprises you.

I've been involved with powerlifting for 36 years. My totals aren't worth listing because they aren't relevant when it comes to battling a retic.

I had a 9' male SD X dwarf X mainland that became increasingly more aggressive with age. The snake was still growing rapidly at 4 years old. I followed the rules and did the right things with hook training but I still had a bad experience.

As I was removing the snake from the enclosure it rapidly coiled one arm, then bit the other hand and "handcuffed" me. The term Bogertophis used is actually quite common.

I was in a fight for about 10 minutes and the animal finally released. It wasn't a fight for my life, but I was smart enough to realize, without help I would not be able to continue to care for the animal. I don't find aggressive snakes relaxing or fun. It doesn't fit into why I like the hobby. That's just how I feel, not everybody has that view.

Had the bite been to my face, the snake could have easily worked its body to my neck and that could have been the end of me.

A good bite will change your focus. You will instinctively try to keep the business end of the animal from shredding you, retics will bite, twist and slice when combative. That takes up one hand or arm leaving you with the other to try to keep a long body from coiling around a vital area.

I tried calling for my wife who isn't into snakes but she didn't hear me. I was not able to open the door to get upstairs, I was not able to grab the bottle of Listerine I kept by the cage to dump down the snakes mouth in the event of a bite so it was a waiting game. I stayed very calm as it only involved my lower arms, wrists and hands.

Somehow, both of my hands were ripped up and bleeding by the end. I was able to get the animal back into the cage when it released the bite, and he turned around and came right back at me.

I highly recommend 2 people for retics larger than 8 feet. The 3 family members here don't share the enthusiasm that I do for reptiles, making me a solo show. Common sense and consideration for family members here made the decision of placing that snake easy.

Most of the time things go well, but it can be dangerous when things don't go well.

The point of the thread was the popularity of the species.

I see it a lot, people are drawn to the species, they go all in and down the road they are out for many reasons. These animals have been hardwired over millions and millions of years to survive. Their instincts haven't changed they tolerate us and can be worked with but things can happen. There is far less predictability with an animal like a retic VS a dog. Dogs have changed a lot by comparison.

The retic is a species that requires a lot of dedication and money if kept properly.
    Last edited by Gio; 06-07-2022 at 05:21 PM.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Alicia (06-07-2022),bcr229 (06-07-2022),Bogertophis (06-07-2022),GoingPostal (06-08-2022),Homebody (06-09-2022)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast