Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,936

1 members and 2,935 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: How did retics get so popular?

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    i’m still preparing for my retic adventure but i have couple big snakes and an arachnid collection containing the most venomous tarantulas, scorpions, etc on earth, 1 of which hasn’t even been formally classified or studied by science and my perspective is: once you understand that all animals are basically the same and that it just takes exhaustive research to take care of them it’s like, well, why not? same with other “adrenaline junkie” activities like mountain climbing, power lifting, etc (feeling slightly called out here because I’m into all of those things lmao) - once you understand how easy it is to get into, why not?

it is curious however given their size and needs, but i’m definitely happy for it - the key to all these animals imo is just being on top of your research game and most importantly, be able to have the resources to meet their extensive care needs

the reptile game has always been p crazy because it was only a couple decades ago that dudes were just selling Nile crocs lmao
    I agree the key is research for proper care & having the "resources"- but also good self-assessment as to means & motivations. One problem is that many of these things live a long time, & our own needs & desires may change, or finances change. It's also best not to be renting or leasing your home. Many things to think about- being very responsible with giants or "hots" is essential- otherwise bad publicity can result in further restrictions for everyone.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (06-05-2022),YungRasputin (06-05-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I agree the key is research for proper care & having the "resources"- but also good self-assessment as to means & motivations. One problem is that many of these things live a long time, & our own needs & desires may change, or finances change. It's also best not to be renting or leasing your home. Many things to think about- being very responsible with giants or "hots" is essential- otherwise bad publicity can result in further restrictions for everyone.
    i absolutely agree - any snake or exotic animal should only be acquired after a prolong period of careful deliberation - i see each 1 of my snakes as a friend that will be around (fingers crossed) for the next 40-50 years; my #1 personal goal for keeping is to double natural lifespans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-05-2022),Homebody (06-05-2022)

Thanks
    That's a great goal, make sure you stick around too, lol. One other issue that many have to battle is the other people in their lives that don't love the same things & aren't on the same page.

I'm all for self-preservation too- giants would never be for me, & I'm the opposite of an "adrenalin-junkie", but I enjoyed the heck out of knowing (keeping, rescuing+) rattlesnakes for 20 years.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (06-05-2022),YungRasputin (06-05-2022)

Thanks

...once you understand that all animals are basically the same and that it just takes exhaustive research to take care of them it’s like, well, why not? same with other “adrenaline junkie” activities like mountain climbing, power lifting, etc
    A few fundamental mistakes in that line of thinking IMO...

The only thing that is basically the same to all critters is the goal to reproduce. Many give it all to do so.

The part about 'it just takes exhaustive research' is another side glance that will cause keepers to miss the good stuff (important if you want full understanding).

Some folks go the extra mile in research but fail when it comes to basic observation...Husbandry is about noticing the fine details of separation between similar critters...such as keeping boa constrictors of different locals. A boa is not just a boa. They do not have the same (fine) needs if one is paying attention to the attributes of what a critter prefers.

Excellent research will get you a 'well kept' critter...personal observation will reward on a level above that...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bns For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-05-2022),Gio (06-05-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    Keeping retics isn't really an adrenaline junkie activity on a day-to-day basis, though you may develop arm and shoulder muscles scrubbing urate off of the enclosure walls. Even feeding can be kept low-key using the correct housing and equipment.

Now, if one gets sick and needs a course of antibiotics then yes you'll end up with a bit of an adrenaline dump, as after a few injections they figure out quickly that getting stuck is not fun. Mine have never bit but they do throw coils pretty strongly and try to run away.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-05-2022),Gio (06-05-2022),Homebody (06-05-2022),nikkubus (06-05-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    Retics aren't a species I'd recommend.

Very, very few people are prepared for their size, their behaviors and their life span. They are popular initially, to a lot of semi experienced keepers because many consider them to be the ultimate snake. Some may want a new challenge, a more active snake or simply love the variety of colors and patterns. In my opinion, retics are the ultimate snake however having watched threads here and on other boards over the years and from personal experience I see the typical progression in a lot of cases.

The initial stages are great! Photos, posts and all of the positive stuff, then things go silent and you don't hear another thing after time goes by. There are not many long time keepers on this board. The ones that are here are dedicated and very knowledgable and sensible.

I would strongly advise anybody thinking of getting into them to be an established adult and to have a Plan B if things don't work out.

Family, and potential significant others may not like the idea at all. Possible job changes and moving are a major factors as well. Having a home and space is very important as well as a secure area in the home for the animals.

I'm not aware of any statistics that show how many people get in and then get out of the species and where or how the snakes end up but I don't think the snakes end up getting a good deal when all is said and done.

I tried the species and thought it would work out. My retic was SD X Dwarf X Mainland. The animal grew larger than I expected, and became a very aggressive male.

I was bitten 3 different times and the last bite was male combative behavior that ripped both of my hands up. I knew at that moment that I wasn't the right person for that animal.

My "Plan B" was in place before I even had the animal and I made it 4 years before giving my guy away to a very experienced keeper/breeder. No money, no trade, I just asked that he be well taken care of.

That was probably more than this thread required, but I felt it needed to be brought up.

I have a friend on this board who went through a similar experience, and another member as well. All 3 of us are out of the species.

Why are they popular? They are fascinating and beautiful.

Do they stay popular with most folks that venture into the species? I'd say no.
    Last edited by Gio; 06-05-2022 at 03:04 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's a great goal, make sure you stick around too, lol. One other issue that many have to battle is the other people in their lives that don't love the same things & aren't on the same page.
    tho i currently live alone, my boyfriend has fully come to terms with the fact that me and my creepies are a package deal and that this is unalterable lol in fact, i would wager he would want me to get deeper into snakes so i will be less into solo alpinism

I'm all for self-preservation too- giants would never be for me, & I'm the opposite of an "adrenalin-junkie", but I enjoyed the heck out of knowing (keeping, rescuing+) rattlesnakes for 20 years.
    super jealous! rattlers are such beautiful creatures

14. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-05-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bns View Post
    A few fundamental mistakes in that line of thinking IMO...

The only thing that is basically the same to all critters is the goal to reproduce. Many give it all to do so.

The part about 'it just takes exhaustive research' is another side glance that will cause keepers to miss the good stuff (important if you want full understanding).

Some folks go the extra mile in research but fail when it comes to basic observation...Husbandry is about noticing the fine details of separation between similar critters...such as keeping boa constrictors of different locals. A boa is not just a boa. They do not have the same (fine) needs if one is paying attention to the attributes of what a critter prefers.

Excellent research will get you a 'well kept' critter...personal observation will reward on a level above that...
    tbh i think you’re misinterpreting what i’m saying and have run with it which tbf i was rather vague and nondescript in my initial comment but here is an example of what i mean:

eg: yes, my scrub python and my Indian red scorpion are 2 completely different animals, with 2 different lifestyles, from 2 different parts of the world, etc - however - it is the *art* (and science) of terraculture which effectively makes the keeping of both the same thing

what do i mean by this? i mean terraculture is all about building and creating the closest approximate facsimile of what a natural space would be, as is possible but to do this you have to breakdown the same things for every animal: how much space do they occupy, both as in their den and also, their surrounding environment, in their natural locale what is the relationship and dynamic between those 2 spaces, what are their niche lifeways, what are their generalized behavior patterns, what is their natural locale’s generalized weather patterns, how does X specimen cope with that, etc

it’s just like with scorpions, a lot of novice keepers and so on, tend to do research in a v simplistic and problematic way by assuming that because it might be 110F in X Desert for Y animal that this means you should replicate that temp not realizing that scorpions are nocturnal, they burrow to escape heat and cool down, they’re opportunistic hunters that primarily stay in their dens, etc - i feel the same could be said of snake keeping in that respect

long story short i think we agree

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i would state ftr i’m not in position to get any of the big 3 (retics, green anacondas, Burmese) anytime soon - i simply don’t have the space, resources or experience; it’s a lifetime goal but for now yellow anacondas and SD/D retics are where I’m at with all of this

Thanks

...tho i currently live alone, my boyfriend has fully come to terms with the fact that me and my creepies are a package deal and that this is unalterable lol in fact, i would wager he would want me to get deeper into snakes so i will be less into solo alpinism...
    I hope, for your sake, he encourages you to practice both alpinism & handling large snakes (or other dangerous animals) only with someone else around for assistance if needed- if not him, then someone else with equal skills & understanding. I assume you do want to "stick around" to enjoy your critters, bf & other interests, so if that's the case, don't take silly risks. Self-preservation is a prerequisite...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-05-2022 at 05:00 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (06-05-2022)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast