Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,870

1 members and 2,869 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Cool Hello/Hola/Bon Jour/Guten Tag/Mahalo

Well after a LONG break from the snake world I decided I wanted back in. I'll be honest, the break was caused by a Boa bite, and I'm not sure why the fear came to be. That being said, I was offered a hatchling, so I decided it was time. Boy has technology changed, my little guy will be picked up next week, but his home construction is under way. I'm starting small, since he's small. Thinking a 20g long for now. I'm still kicking around substrate ideas, I like using coconut chips, with a little peat moss to keep the humidity. Under tank heater, 2 hides, a small log, and plants. Am I missing anything? Oh, I painted 3 of the 4 sides black. The room has blackout shades, so he will get his quiet time. I'm thinking of a LED during the day, due to how dark the room is, any thoughts? Please provide any details you think I need. The last snake I owned was a ball named Elvira, but that was in 1989. Thanks again, I look forward to talking with some or all of you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Here I am thinking I had a long break from the last time I owned a snake, and here you are having one last before I was even born.

That said, welcome! This place is great for folks looking to learn as much as they can. I myself learned almost everything I know in this very forum.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Dzydvl (08-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Hi there, & welcome back to the fun of keeping snakes. So this is a neonate BP you're getting? I can see how a serious bite from a large boa might have cooled your interest, especially if it was a feeding bite, or just a bite that landed in a sensitive place, but just know there's lots of techniques to help prevent most bites by keeping any snake calm & unafraid, & by making sure they aren't confused about feeding time. Happy to have you join us.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-06-2021 at 05:08 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Hello/Hola/Bon Jour/Guten Tag/Mahalo

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Hi there, & welcome back to the fun of keeping snakes. So this is a neonate BP you're getting? I can see how a serious bite from a large boa might have cooled your interest, especially if it was a feeding bite, or just a bite that landed in a sensitive place, but just know there's lots of techniques to help prevent most bites by keeping any snake calm & unafraid, & by making sure they aren't confused about feeding time. Happy to have you join us.
    This was someone spooked her thinking they were being funny, and it was a good firm strike. Funny thing, the bite didn't hurt, got me on the forearm, both top and bottom. You could see a nice mouth print. I calmly put her back, scrubbed my arm with antibiotic soap, and went to get a tetanus shot. That's why I'm starting small, with a snake from a good friend, and breeder. Any tips will be appreciated. Initially, I will be the only one touching him, just to be safe. He will be in a quiet room, which is good for stress levels.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dzydvl View Post
    Under tank heater, 2 hides, a small log, and plants. Am I missing anything?
    Thermostat for the UTH so it doesn't overheat and burn your snake.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-06-2021),Dzydvl (08-09-2021),jmcrook (08-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Whether it's a snake you're holding or a horse you're sitting on, it's never "funny" for someone to spook an animal- that was unfortunate, but I'm glad the bite wasn't painful or serious. Snake bites, at least from harmless snakes, are happily more often about "surprise" (shock value) than real pain. The tetanus shot was a good idea, just in case.

I suspect you're eager to handle & "tame" your new snake, but remember it's most important to get a new snake (of any age) eating first- preferably at least 3 meals at appropriate intervals (& without any refusals to eat unless in shed) before you attempt any "socializing" with them.

If you think you're a little nervous, imagine how your new snake feels- suddenly in a new scary environment with no idea how they got there or where their familiar territory disappeared to. And remember they rely on their instincts to survive, & the only thing that picks them up in the wild is normally a predator about to EAT them, so handling tends to ruin their appetite, or rather, their fear does.

Your snake will grow very slowly, you have LOTS of time to interact with them, so please, get their home set up & tested out first (for proper temps. & humidity & furnishing) & leave them alone (just watch without handling them) while they settle in for as long as it takes until they feed regularly. With very few exceptions, following this advice will start you off on the right foot to a healthy pet snake, one that feeds well.

Most snakes (including BPs) don't see that well- & don't identify things just by vision. To a snake, something moving nearby (you, for instance) might either be prey that's getting close enough to grab, or a big scary predator. They don't really have a concept of "friend"- but if you're patient & considerate about handling a snake, they seem to learn this- to relax & feel safe with us.

And snakes don't bite the "ground they crawl on, nor the cave they hide in", so when you handle a snake, let them feel sheltered by your body, rather than holding them at arm's length where they'll certainly feel exposed & more afraid. Snakes know by our scent that we aren't their dinner, & they remember both our scent & touch- so don't touch them as a predator might: avoid picking them up abruptly, avoid holding them too tight, & especially near their neck or touching their tails. Until they've learned to relax more when handled, try to keep your hands underneath them as much as possible- because visually, they can be confused by your other hand moving nearby, for example- they don't "know" that's part of the same safe thing they're sitting on, & may instead feel threatened by it.

Snakes don't all have the same personality, any more than we do: some are calmer than others, no matter what species they are. So just take your time & learn to read the body language that yours has.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Dzydvl (08-09-2021)

Thanks

Thermostat was the first thing I ordered. I don't have a heat rock for that reason alone. I did go by the list provided in the comment section. Ceramic filter, under-tank heater, dual hides, and a HEAVY water dish.