Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,908

1 members and 2,907 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Maternal incubation 100% Hatched

Hey All!!

I am ecstatic about my situation rn… I did maternal incubation & got 100% hatching rate… jus let my Henny (Mojave) do her snake mom duties .. This was my first go around… Besides all of the information that I have read, & my own two cents I added based off my research & knowledge … I am adding what I have done, and the pics

To start off I should have been there for the clutch,
    I was not, so I was at least more than 24 hours past time Henny had laid them. When I checked on her at 2 o’clock in the morning… After traveling for over 16 hours on a plan… It was not the best situation to have a clutch of eggs and try to pull them apart.
    At that point I covered her with her hide and pack it down with the COco husk …
    The next two days I had looked more into the maternal incubation. I had done some research prior to the situation, as a worst-case scenario, and with the newfound research there has been a lot of success with this method.
    I would not say that I had enough information to do this, but my situation did not allow for me to have a lot of maneuverability when the eggs are stuck together.
    I tried to get a bigger tub for the eggs to go into the incubator, but they would have been touching the lid … Therefore leading to direct contact with moisture, so I avoided the incubator situation

That being said, I then removed the hide, the condensation inside the plastic hide, droplets that would have been falling onto Henny and her eggs, & was not worth my stress levels

I then covered her with newspaper, and moistened it, also added a wrapped up piece of plastic from some shrink wrap, enough to cover her and the eggs, to keep the humidity as close to the newspaper, which would then increase the humidity where she was incubating her eggs…

I tried not to mess with her too much, and I let her do her thing. I misted the plastic wrap, and changed the newspaper at least 1-2xs a week to prevent mold growth and check on situation .. get temps -always @87-89° in the rack so I let them cook…

I did not offer food for the first three weeks, then offered her a large rat… needless to say she smashed that rat, and was the only time she ate until after the babies pip’d.
    At the 54th day went in just to go check in on her as I read that maternal incubation may take longer …i then saw three little head sticking out of the eggs, I then remove the eggs.. cut them all to aid in pip’n and check on volubility at this point (with 3 out and 2 cutting) this is what I have now that everyone has come out of the eggs

I have been trying to get some help with the identities of this clutch

NORE - Mahogany /Mojave
    Henny - Mojave

Now I have:

1 Normal possible??
    3 mahogany ?? 2 definitely are but other 2 are like
    1 Mojave,
    3 mahogany/ Mojave,
    1 BEL - Super Mojave

I need help with identifying this mahogany morph,
    I know that they look a-lot like normal, but at least two are definitely mahogany, one is most likely the normal… And there is one that is hard for me to identify looks like good fight with the genes
    Any help would be appreciated otherwise happy camper here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ronniex2 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (08-06-2021),Bogertophis (08-05-2021),Kam (08-05-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Can't help you with identification, but congratulations on your success shared with your BP-mom, that's very impressive. Apparently nature does still "know a thing or two".
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ronniex2 (08-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 877 Posts

Re: Maternal incubation 100% Hatched

Congratulations! I can positively identify them as beautiful scaly babies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kam For This Useful Post:

Ronniex2 (08-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I'd wait till after first shed to try and identify mahogany from normal. Taking pictures in good light, and numbering them when there are multiple angles of each will help a lot too. The color and blushing in the head and neck is the easiest place for me to see mahogany, especially when the lighting isn't great or the camera is modifying colors. It's pretty subtle in a lot of pics.

The two pics above the two BEL pics look mojave without mahogany, is that one hatchling and the one you were thinking? Others have their yellow head stripe looking like it's smudged off, which is characteristic in mahogany mojave.

Here is a pic of someone else's I have linked that captures the perfect head angle to see Mahogany well, notice how the yellow eye stripe doesn't have strong line of demarcation especially towards the neck:

Hope that's helps you! It can be really tough when you are just starting to ID certain morphs, but it gets easier Congrats on a beautiful clutch!
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Kam (08-06-2021),Ronniex2 (08-06-2021)

Thanks

Re: Maternal incubation 100% Hatched

This is how I did my process..

Ok, to start off I will say Henny (Mojave) did exactly what she was pos2,

She did not let NORE (Mahogany/ Mojave) in at all … when I put him in like 3xs -4xs in previous months… he did not get the job done… Mainly because she did not let him

I’ll give all of the credit to her, she did her own rituals, she sat in her water bowl for over a month, bowl wrapping not so often but definitely in the water bowl …then she was cool seeking between… Had a real crazy eating habit…but nothing major

When I put NORE in, as all signs where pointing in the same direction, the tail wagging, I honestly thought she was a boy for a long time… But the tail wagging? That is strictly female BPs tryna get smoky … but she wouldn’t let NORE hit ..
    3 days in .. then out …eat .. repeat next week ..

Nothing .. Even tried my boy Mello, who locked with Spell already, in to see if he get the job done… nothing

Then on 3/19/21 I saw my first lock with these 2, and again on 4/4/21. On 4/22 I tried again jus to see if they would, nothing No more love for NORE … I’m like maybe this was misread by me but…give it some time, hopefully he’s a boy and she’s a girl lol.. honestly only 2 locks tho, but I have read you only need 1 so…

Needless to say, on 06/04/21 I arrived to see my Mojave girl on top of 9 healthy white eggs. As mentioned I let her maternally incubate the clutch… Checking on them periodically throughout the next 57 days,
    Initially I was going to go with the hide, but as mentioned in the previous post …reading some forums ppl where saying how damp new paper could keep the humidity up with less moisture as the paper will absorb the wetness. I took it a step further and added the plastic “from shrink wrap or like plastic wrap”, placed a sheet of it over the news paper that was already dampen, thus keeping the moisture between the plastic and news paper consistent, and leaving the excess moisture between Henny in the newspaper, allowing for my eggs to stay dry and 100% humidity.

I also wrapped the front end of her enclosure where the eggs were, my set up is a little different, I have my heat tape in the front of the enclosure. I had it to the back of the enclosure but this would have made it more difficult to keep an eye on the clutch and get temperatures and keep them during my checks…I had to do this because of my set up, As you can see, it worked, and she stay the whole time on her clutch eating eating on 07/20/21.

I heard people attempt to feed while doing maternal incubation, and females not being interested. Rare if anything I found said they’d “eat” even in the wild it would be very rare air a rat would walk by close enough to feed a hungry mom… so I waited …

cleaning and such…i didn’t see a urate the whole time. No poop, I mean she was going straight off reserves. Didn’t really plan to offer her until she saw some interest one time just poking around… Before then she would not come off of her clutch.. so @2556g 04/20/21 before laying and @1635g 07/18/21… I didn’t offer, but when I did, I offered a large meal bug ass medium, she took it, no problem… then went back on the eggs.

These eggs piped on 08/01/21.. I had 3 heads poking out on a routine check in…so total of 57 days as I am now looking back… 06/04 Lay -08/01/2021 pipers…08/03/21 everyone out of their eggs

the little pics I took due to wanting to leave her alone and just let her do her thing … not to mention her first time tagging me was when attempting to get temps around day 25… she was on to the whole time .. which is why I attempted a a lot of pics or whatever.. anyways thanks for the read please add on lemme know what you think

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ronniex2 For This Useful Post:

Kam (08-10-2021)