Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,106

1 members and 3,105 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    How fortuitous.

I've been saving up money as best I can, even though I'm making more than I thought I would. And also trying (and failing) to not pay too much attention to other snakes so I can remain steadfast on this goal.

Thanks

Re: I'm convinced the universe is mocking me, or I'm just torturing myself

Good luck!
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    ...And also trying (and failing) to not pay too much attention to other snakes so I can remain steadfast on this goal.
    Maybe it would be best to keep an open mind- there are many kinds of snakes in the world, & you might miss something you'd like even better, & it might also be a better price.

As they say, "be careful what you wish for". I would just add- don't build up a particular kind of snake in your mind so much that you fail to see & understand their drawbacks too.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-29-2021 at 08:44 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Maybe it would be best to keep an open mind- there are many kinds of snakes in the world, & you might miss something you'd like even better, & it might also be a better price.

As they say, "be careful what you wish for". I would just add- don't build up a particular kind of snake in your mind so much that you fail to see & understand their drawbacks too.
    I kind of have to though. If I was living on my own then it wouldn't really matter since I could pick and choose what and when I want for as much as finances allowed. But since that isn't the case (and with how things are going, it won't be for a LONG time), I have to choose very, very carefully because I'll be lucky to have one more snake let alone any beyond that.

Trust me, my list of potentials is ridiculous by now. Coral anery corn snakes, any assortment of BPs (GHI Mojave and Piebald in particular), Brazilian rainbow boas, Neuevo Leon/Variable kingsnakes, viper boas, sand boas, and on top of all that there's also the desire to adopt one from a shelter. There's one BP at a rescue for example with the description of "a little pistol with a moody attitude" that's been on my mind (and sure enough ever since I found the site he's been there all these months). But the thing is, ultimately, I'm at the mercy of my parents short of going full rebel mode and just bringing an animal home. Which, come to think of it one of my sisters used to do that and she never really got in trouble for it. Hmm...

But yeah. My mind is more than open, but I've in all likelihood effectively got one shot, so I've got to make it count.
    Last edited by Snagrio; 10-29-2021 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks

I kind of have to though. If I was living on my own then it wouldn't really matter since I could pick and choose what and when I want for as much as finances allowed. But since that isn't the case (and with how things are going, it won't be for a LONG time), I have to choose very, very carefully because I'll be lucky to have one more snake let alone any beyond that.

Trust me, my list of potentials is ridiculous by now. Coral anery corn snakes, any assortment of BPs (GHI Mojave and Piebald in particular), Brazilian rainbow boas, Neuevo Leon/Variable kingsnakes, viper boas, sand boas, and on top of all that there's also the desire to adopt one from a shelter. There's one BP at a rescue for example with the description of "a little pistol with a moody attitude" that's been on my mind (and sure enough ever since I found the site he's been there all these months). But the thing is, ultimately, I'm at the mercy of my parents short of going full rebel mode and just bringing an animal home. Which, come to think of it one of my sisters used to do that and she never really got in trouble for it. Hmm...

But yeah. My mind is more than open, but I've in all likelihood effectively got one shot, so I've got to make it count.
    Don't misunderstand me...I didn't say you should adopt them all! LOL But as I recall, you've had your heart set on a pricey Blue Beauty, which will also be costly to house (due to their adult size & activity level). So I'm just suggesting that despite your admiration for them, it might not make the best (most practical) pet for you -especially at this time in your life. Have you ever met a BB in person & gotten to hold one? These are restless snakes (even if they aren't nippy), so they don't tend to sit still & "relate" to you. Their metabolism is fast too, so they eat (& defecate) fairly often, & snakes live a long time, so that's a lot of $ on food, as well as frequent clean-up that you'll be committing yourself to for many years- I just want you to think beyond the "fantasy pet" to the real life creature. And please remember that I've kept my share of VERY similar Taiwan Beauty rat snakes. They're very active snakes- fun to watch in a zoo or in nature, but not one that is likely to cuddle up much with you at home. (I personally prefer somewhat calmer rat snakes for that reason.) I know, temptation is everywhere- so for sure, make your "one shot" count for a pet you really want to live with, AND also one you can afford. A BB might be a better pet to put off for the more distant future, to be honest.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Don't misunderstand me...I didn't say you should adopt them all! LOL But as I recall, you've had your heart set on a pricey Blue Beauty, which will also be costly to house (due to their adult size & activity level). So I'm just suggesting that despite your admiration for them, it might not make the best (most practical) pet for you -especially at this time in your life. Have you ever met a BB in person & gotten to hold one? These are restless snakes (even if they aren't nippy), so they don't tend to sit still & "relate" to you. Their metabolism is fast too, so they eat (& defecate) fairly often, & snakes live a long time, so that's a lot of $ on food, as well as frequent clean-up that you'll be committing yourself to for many years- I just want you to think beyond the "fantasy pet" to the real life creature. And please remember that I've kept my share of VERY similar Taiwan Beauty rat snakes. They're very active snakes- fun to watch in a zoo or in nature, but not one that is likely to cuddle up much with you at home. (I personally prefer somewhat calmer rat snakes for that reason.) I know, temptation is everywhere- so for sure, make your "one shot" count for a pet you really want to live with, AND also one you can afford. A BB might be a better pet to put off for the more distant future, to be honest.
    I know you didn't mean that, I meant those are among my options that tickle my fancy, I wouldn't have them all at once.

I have not held nor even seen a VBB in real life before no. While I don't mind so much the activity level in terms of handling (I do kind of want a species that doesn't just, you know, sit there), I'm seeing your point with housing. A proper enclosure for an adult would easily run me over a grand, and that's before the snake itself and a food supply. And now that you've brought it up, it hit me that I've seen a number of reptile keepers not get their "dream reptile" until quite some time later when they had the experience and resources available to do it right. Perhaps I should do the same...

If I were to narrow it down to more "realistic" options then, there's three that stick out. A corn snake was the first snake I ever had, so it'd feel right to fully correct the mistake I made all those years ago and get a new one. Second would be another BP, which would be the most likely to fulfill the adoption/rescue goal if I don't specifically go with another morph because let's face it, unwanted BPs are sadly everywhere. Third is probably the most important from a practical standpoint. A "companion eater" that is of comparable size and build to a BP and thusly able to accept refusals if need be. BRBs sound the most tempting. I used to be put off by how vulnerable juveniles are to low humidity, but ever since I discovered how stupidly easy it is to keep it high via tubs, it sounds much less intimidating since it can safely quarantine in that during the first few months.

Thanks

I know you didn't mean that, I meant those are among my options that tickle my fancy, I wouldn't have them all at once.

I have not held nor even seen a VBB in real life before no. While I don't mind so much the activity level in terms of handling (I do kind of want a species that doesn't just, you know, sit there), I'm seeing your point with housing. A proper enclosure for an adult would easily run me over a grand, and that's before the snake itself and a food supply. And now that you've brought it up, it hit me that I've seen a number of reptile keepers not get their "dream reptile" until quite some time later when they had the experience and resources available to do it right. Perhaps I should do the same...
    Even your video above suggests these are best for experienced keepers. You'd be spending more on substrate too- remember, "what goes in, must come out"!And the bigger the snake...

Yes, I really do think your "dream reptile" would be better off postponed for optimal resources & experience. That's not a snake that you can keep in a small enclosure, & they grow fast.

I had to laugh at the way the snake she was holding kept "following" her hand & she also showed that she'd gotten several bites while filming, lol. Just remember, the bigger they get, the more you're going to feel those bites too. They're classified as "rat" snakes, but their behavior & need for space is more like a racer. (Which I also have experience with, btw.)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-26-2022)

Thanks
    I've been mulling over things with myself and have remained determined. Getting a VBB is more than a frivolous dream for me at this point, it's become a goal. I've talked personally with the Zerkles and going by what they say they'll have babies available by June. I've already been saving every penny I can for more important things and have surmised I'll be in a perfect position by that time.

It will be a long wait yet, but good things comes to those who do as they say.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (01-26-2022)

Thanks
    Well, I just got back from the reptile show. Zerkle's daughter was there so I got the download with as many questions as I could think of. From what she said their VBBs are currently locking so there's no eggs yet, so around late June/July is when they'd be expected to be ready. I got their business card so I'll be able to call sometime soon to I can get my name down and ensure I get the chance to pick one up when the time comes as they're first come first serve otherwise and they typically only actually take their OW rat snakes to bigger shows like Tinley (but they do ship and I'm close by to them physically at that).

Considering I didn't leave the show empty-handed, I'm okay with that wait time. Everything will come together in due time.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-09-2022),Erie_herps (04-09-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    Blue Beauties are understandably appealing. For what it's worth, I try to convince people who want Blue Beauties to spend time around other large colubrids before committing to one. They are without a doubt an absolutely stunning snake but they are not the right snake for everyone, and not everyone is charmed by an 8' long, nervous, fast moving snake that eats a lot, poops a lot, isn't interested in engaging with people and isn't afraid to bite to let you know that you need to back off. It seems like you are pretty convinced about getting one, so I guess the only other thing I would say is to be sure you have the resources and space for an enclosure.

I personally wouldn't keep an adult Blue Beauty in anything smaller than a 4'x3'x6' at the very minimum, but bigger (6'x3'x8') would be better, which would easily run more than double or triple your one thousand dollar estimate unless you are super good at DIY.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-10-2022),jmcrook (04-10-2022),Snagrio (04-11-2022)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast