Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,965

0 members and 1,965 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Re: I'm convinced the universe is mocking me, or I'm just torturing myself

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    Blue Beauties are understandably appealing. For what it's worth, I try to convince people who want Blue Beauties to spend time around other large colubrids before committing to one. They are without a doubt an absolutely stunning snake but they are not the right snake for everyone, and not everyone is charmed by an 8' long, nervous, fast moving snake that eats a lot, poops a lot, isn't interested in engaging with people and isn't afraid to bite to let you know that you need to back off. It seems like you are pretty convinced about getting one, so I guess the only other thing I would say is to be sure you have the resources and space for an enclosure.

I personally wouldn't keep an adult Blue Beauty in anything smaller than a 4'x3'x6' at the very minimum, but bigger (6'x3'x8') would be better, which would easily run more than double or triple your one thousand dollar estimate unless you are super good at DIY.
    No worries, this has been mulled over in my mind for nearly 2 years. Their relative tenacity is part of what draws me as I want a larger more fiery species as a challenge, but they can't really hurt me beyond biting as they aren't heavy-bodied so they aren't outright dangerous as far as I'm concerned. In fact one of the reasons I have my new corn is to have some time getting used to a snake that isn't a super slow and bulky species like my BP as a bit of a "warm up" so to speak.

I am fully aware and prepared in terms of cost and resources as well. Expecting the snake itself to cost half a grand minimum, and am well aware that the total cost will go well over a grand. AP's 6'x2'x4' (I sadly can't really find anything taller but the vendor at the show said it'd be adequate) is what I'm looking at in terms of an adult enclosure, with a sequence of tubs and smaller PVC setups to grow up in for the meantime.

I'm sacrificing other non-essential/animal aspects of my life (nearly everything about my PC setup needs to be upgraded and there are new video games I've stopped myself from getting for example) in order to save money for this very goal, so I am 100% all in and serious about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    ... I want a larger more fiery species as a challenge, but they can't really hurt me beyond biting as they aren't heavy-bodied so they aren't outright dangerous as far as I'm concerned...
    Just to be accurate, any constricting snake that's LONG enough is going to be strong enough to strangle you if they happen to be around your neck. I'm NOT saying they'd want to, or even that they would try, but I don't want you to make a false assumption- it doesn't require a heavy-bodied snake to pose a danger. I once had one of my large male Florida* rat snakes (Yellow x Gulf Hammock x Everglades?) constrict my forearm for about 20 minutes, during which time NOTHING worked to get him to release. He didn't bite me at all, & I've never figured out what he was thinking that day- all I know is that it wasn't fun, & had that been my neck..... -so you need to understand this, & not let your guard down, okay?

My male FL rat snakes are currently 7' long- usually fine to handle & they're not biters, but snakes can still be a bit unpredictable since they're basically wild animals, not "domestics". And when a snake gets some size, like over 6' long, they're a lot to hang onto- shoulders are very convenient & appealing for the snake to climb on, as you'll find out. Never allow them to fully loop your neck. AND, IF you have long hair, that can also present a hazard- a snake can quickly create a tangle which makes them very difficult if not impossible to untangle, again, putting you at risk of being strangled if they're also around your neck. I once had this demonstrated by a large bull snake many years ago. Trust me on this.

Corn snakes are not much in the way of preparation- even though they don't sit still, they're very polite snakes; a racer of some type (like maybe a 'coachwhip', or a Korean rat snake) would be much closer to a VBB. (A reminder, I've raised & kept large Taiwan Beauty rat snakes in the past- very similar to VBB.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-11-2022 at 04:23 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Just to be accurate, any constricting snake that's LONG enough is going to be strong enough to strangle you if they happen to be around your neck. I'm NOT saying they'd want to, or even that they would try, but I don't want you to make a false assumption- it doesn't require a heavy-bodied snake to pose a danger. I once had one of my large male Florida* rat snakes (Yellow x Gulf Hammock x Everglades?) constrict my forearm for about 20 minutes, during which time NOTHING worked to get him to release. He didn't bite me at all, & I've never figured out what he was thinking that day- all I know is that it wasn't fun, & had that been my neck..... -so you need to understand this, & not let your guard down, okay?

My male FL rat snakes are currently 7' long- usually fine to handle & they're not biters, but snakes can still be a bit unpredictable since they're basically wild animals, not "domestics". And when a snake gets some size, like over 6' long, they're a lot to hang onto- shoulders are very convenient & appealing for the snake to climb on, as you'll find out. Never allow them to fully loop your neck. AND, IF you have long hair, that can also present a hazard- a snake can quickly create a tangle which makes them very difficult if not impossible to untangle, again, putting you at risk of being strangled if they're also around your neck. I once had this demonstrated by a large bull snake many years ago. Trust me on this.
    Fair point. Even with my BP I've had times where I'd try to get him off my hand or arm and it'd be a struggle because his grip is incredibly strong just from holding on, which indeed is how many large pet snake "attack" incidences happen contrary to what sensational news reports say. It's often an accident with the snake just trying to feel secure while they're practically suspended in midair and the owner makes a poor handling choice.

Speaking of, I am also fully aware of never allowing a snake, no matter how seemingly safe, around your neck despite the endless images of people draping huge boas and pythons around their shoulders like some fashion accessory.

Don't let my hair get overly long either. I like to have some length but it never reaches my shoulders or anything.

I do appreciate the advice altogether. This is why I'm making sure to get a baby so I can work with it from a smaller size and practice safe handling techniques when the risk isn't as high.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    I totally get it about wanting a snake with a little more spice and fire. I've considered Blue Beauties but in the end wanted snakes that are a little more willing to engage with me, responsive to enrichment and target training, etc. while still having some spice. The Australian pythons fill that role perfectly - intelligent, active, beautiful to look at and observe, extremely responsive, available in sizes from the diminutive Antaresia to the glory of the big Costal Carpet Pythons. And they can definitely be an intense snake, yet there's an odd fundamental gentleness to them if they trust you. There's a good reason that once people keep one they tend to fall in love with them.

But I do understand having a particular passion for a specific snake. You might want to look into enclosures by Focus Cubed Habitats (they made all of my enclosures), as you can definitely select larger/taller enclosures than AP offers. AP makes good enclosures, but so does Focus. And a Blue Beauty needs height.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-12-2022)

Thanks
    I get the desire for "fire & spice" in snakes too- that's why I love most rat snakes, bull snakes, my Aussie spotted python, & rattlesnakes, but I agree with Caitlin about also wanting a snake that's willing to engage with me too- that's what's missing with my Korean rat snake, & what I suspect might be missing with a VBB also. Like a racer when handled, he's not a fulfilling "pet" as far as I'm concerned. I actually HAD a w/c coachwhip for a while that was far better to engage with than my Korean rat snake, lol- & so were my Taiwan Beauty rat snakes. With my Korean rat snake, that spark just isn't there, & he's pretty much a custodial chore (for 13 years now, so far), nothing more- never any improvement, & snakes live a long time.

It's clear to me that some snakes are more intelligent than others, & those that are, are the ones that can rise above their instincts & learn to engage more with us- they learn to trust us, as Caitlin said. One of my c/b FL rat snakes was WAY more feisty than her siblings (hyper & hysterical is more like it) and for the first year, I wondered if she'd ever improve, but now, even though she's high strung & needs a light touch when handled, she's becoming one of my favorites because she's learned that I'm actually "safe"- she'll relax now when I hold her, & even from her tank, she often goes out of her way to watch me- to study me- in a very curious & mellow way, not hostile, when I happen to sit near her home. It's just different.

Anyway, I truly hope more than anything that if you do acquire a VBB, that it provides you with as much enjoyment as you think it will- especially for the investment you'll be making.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (04-12-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I thought I'd add to this thread as I saw the video below, posted by Brian at Riverside Reptiles, one of my favorite places to go.

I do have a friend who lucked out and has a "nice" VBB, but apparently, that's not exactly the norm. This doesn't look like fun to me, but to each his/her own. They are stunning and great feeders. Also interesting as they like to climb a lot and at the exhibit at Riverside, they are usually up in the branches, like the green mambas he has. Of course, the green mambas scare me more .

https://youtube.com/shorts/obHTmWeUOco?feature=share

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-05-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I thought I'd add to this thread as I saw the video below, posted by Brian at Riverside Reptiles, one of my favorite places to go.

I do have a friend who lucked out and has a "nice" VBB, but apparently, that's not exactly the norm. This doesn't look like fun to me, but to each his/her own. They are stunning and great feeders. Also interesting as they like to climb a lot and at the exhibit at Riverside, they are usually up in the branches, like the green mambas he has. Of course, the green mambas scare me more .

https://youtube.com/shorts/obHTmWeUOco?feature=share
    That's a really over-the-top voice-over in that clip- too funny! Beauty snakes do give a nice hissy open-mouth + flat neck display when upset, & truth be told, very few snakes appreciate their tails touched. Many get used to it & accept it, but not all. Haha! Personally, I love snakes with some fire too, but especially ones that after challenging me, eventually do learn to settle down & accept handling- and many rat snakes (& others too) ARE the "best of both worlds" for those with empathy & patience to bring that out in them. When this happens, you can feel the mutual respect when handling them- even with some remaining wariness each time you initially pick them up. That to me is fun. After all, we're asking them, a wild animal, to "trust us"- so it's only fair that we have to meet them halfway, & trust them not to bite also.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (06-05-2022)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234