Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,213

2 members and 3,211 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Enclosure questions. Setting up a new tank for a growing boy!

I'm setting up a new tank for my growing male (~2years old and 3' long) and I have a couple of questions to work through. Any help is appreciated.

Background info:
    Currently he is in a glass tank that needs a size upgrade. The top is metal mesh so in the winter months when his CHE is running more for ambient temperatures I need to foil the top to retain humidity. In the summer when the ambient temps of the room are closer to desirable for him I have removed some of the foil to allow for more air flow and a better humidity balance (otherwise it got a little too humid). He has a UTH controlled by a therm on one side, a CHE controlled by a therm in the middle to control ambient temps, and I'm just using a desk lamp with a smart switch for lighting.

I'm looking at options for a new tank since he has outgrown the current one and would like to set up something more proper and permanent. I've been looking at exo terra tanks, but with the CHE sitting above the tank for winter, I worry that the plastic supports in the mesh would get too hot and potentially melt. I also would like to avoid drilling holes into the mesh to drop a CHE bulb and cage/guard into if possible. I have also heard a lot of great things about PVC tanks, but I wouldn't know where to start in terms of buying.

My questions:
    1) What are your recommendations for a neat, all-in-one (meaning no more desk lamp if possible, etc.) tank solution with proper setup of lighting, heating, humidity control, etc. ?
    2) What are the benefits of PVC to glass, or vice versa?
    3) Where would I find a PVC tank? I have a pet shop near by with an employee that builds, should I ask him? Any tank builders with online stores you can recommend?

My boy and I thank you for your help

Thanks

Re: Enclosure questions. Setting up a new tank for a growing boy!

There are now many vendors out there that do PVC enclosures. Probably the most common name is Animal Plastics. You can get it built to include lighting, sliding or swing doors, heat panel (floor if, if preferred, but not necessary), door locks, and basically very high quality construction. I have used only one other PVC brand, and the quality is 100x LESS than the Animal Plastics. The only issue with Animal Plastics is the lead times. Often you will order, and you're going to have to wait a few.months, since they are made to order and get a lot of orders. Worth the wait of you can do it, but just keep that in mind.

PVC is much easier to maintain heat and humidity. And definitely easier to source the heat (in my opinion). Radiant heat panel... from Animal Plastics, or what I and many others have done is buy the RHP from Pro Products and have it shipped to Animal Plastics, and they will install for you. However, Pro Products right now is also have some supply issues and are a few weeks backed up. Always good to call and ask.

There are many more.vwndors out there that sell PVC enclosures. Of note, however, in MY EXPERIENCE, the guy that says I can build it for you has for me always looked not-so-good. Cheaply made. The finishing touches you get with Animal Plastics, and I'm sure several other brands is a clean and professional finish on the product. Look extraordinary nice.

My 2 cents.
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charles8088 For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (08-03-2021),nikkubus (08-02-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    100% on everything Charles8088 said.

I would avoid ExoTerra for the vast majority of snake species. The only thing I think they have going for them is that they look pretty nice and are a minor step up from an aquarium or "terrarium" with top-opening.

PVC or acrylic are far superior to glass for most animals, even fish, because glass conducts heat far more and is more fragile. The biggest drawback to acrylic is that over time, small scratches can diminish the view of your animals, but this is very easily remedied with kits to sand and buff it. Glass is harder to scratch, but when it does, it's much more difficult to fix. It's so much easier to heat PVC/acrylic than glass, not only because it will hold in the heat better, but because it's easier to add many different types of heating that are better for BPs than CHE. On top of that, almost no glass options provide the right amount of ventilation where it's most efficient, so you have heat and moisture escaping rapidly from ventilation.

I prefer racks over glass, or even PVC for BPs too in terms of what's best for the animal, because they make it a lot easier to care for animals, waste less height, and help to make them feel really secure, but the main drawback is that you can't see your animal well if at all. For most people, this defeats the purpose of having the animal though, so I understand why many people don't want to go that route.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (08-03-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Enclosure questions. Setting up a new tank for a growing boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles8088 View Post

PVC is much easier to maintain heat and humidity. And definitely easier to source the heat (in my opinion). Radiant heat panel... from Animal Plastics, or what I and many others have done is buy the RHP from Pro Products and have it shipped to Animal Plastics, and they will install for you. However, Pro Products right now is also have some supply issues and are a few weeks backed up. Always good to call and ask.
    Couldn't agree more with Charles. I use to think people were blowing smoke when they'd tell me how easy it is to maintain temps and humidity with a PVC enclosure, then I got one. Animal Plastics did take almost 6 months to get my enclosure to me, but if you can't wait there are several other reputable PVC vendors online that you can find. Some, if not most of them, probably have feedback here on the forums as well.