Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,107

0 members and 2,107 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

New BP owner and i have some questions. please help

1. What is some normal BP behavior that new bp owners maybe mistakened for stress or something wrong?
    2. what size mice should i feed mine, he is 2 months old and ive had him since saturday. and was told he was fed pinky mice but that seems to small for him.
    3. How come people who keep them in tubs or racks only have 1 hide but we are told to have 2 hides?
    4. how long should i wait to feed and or handle him? this saturday will be a week that i had him.
    also any night time behavior i should be worried about. during the day he sleeps as he should but only comes out at 7:30 pm

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    1) Hiding all the time.
    2) Mouse hoppers, yes pinkies are too small.
    3) Because snakes can "turtle" the light plastic hides onto and off of the heat as needed.
    4) I would try feeding tomorrow. If your BP has only been fed mouse pinkies he's probably really hungry by now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (08-12-2021)

Thanks

Re: New BP owner and i have some questions. please help

I agree with everything that was said above...to add to that, your ball python should be hiding during the day not might hide during the day...if your ball python is roaming around the cage during the day something is up. It is likely your snake will decide he/she wants to become a daredevil and an acrobat at night, so IF your snake climbs on everything during night time and reaches in places and makes things fall that you thought couldn't fall before, that is normal (ball pythons are clumsy so they fall off everything...it can actually be quite funny and cute but alarming for a new ball python keeper )
    Last edited by Claire&snek; 08-11-2021 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman23 View Post
    4. how long should i wait to feed and or handle him? this saturday will be a week that i had him.
    also any night time behavior i should be worried about. during the day he sleeps as he should but only comes out at 7:30 pm
    For best results you should wait & not handle him until he has eaten 3 times for you at normal intervals* without refusing food (unless he's in shed, then it's normal for snakes to refuse meals). This gives him time to settle in & feel safe in his new scary surroundings- if you handle too soon, he may refuse to eat from the stress, & that is best avoided. Put the snake's well-being first.

*Normal intervals for a young BP is to feed once a week. And never handle right after a meal, let them digest for a day or 2, so they don't regurgitate. So I know you're eager, like everyone is, to handle your new pet, but for best results try to just be content to watch him for a good 3+ weeks while he settles in, eats, & gets stronger & more confident- that will get you both off to a good start. It's worth it in the long run- you'll have many years to enjoy him- let him get stronger first. It's no fun when snakes refuse to eat, & stress can cause that.

BPs are normally nocturnal- coming out in the evening & nighttime hours, & sleeping during the day.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-11-2021 at 10:25 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (08-12-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman23 View Post
    1. What is some normal BP behavior that new bp owners maybe mistakened for stress or something wrong?
    2. what size mice should i feed mine, he is 2 months old and ive had him since saturday. and was told he was fed pinky mice but that seems to small for him.
    3. How come people who keep them in tubs or racks only have 1 hide but we are told to have 2 hides?
    How much does he weigh? That will give everyone a better idea of what you should be feeding him.
    Most breeders or hobbyists who keep them in racks give them 1 hide or no hides at all because the tub acts as a hide itself. Tubs are generally smaller and more secure for them compared to glass tanks so you need to make sure you provide plenty of security.
    I would wait until Saturday to feed him. It would also be a good idea not to handle until he's eating consistently for you. (3-5 meals)
    For night time behavior, they're nocturnal so expect to see him more at night!