Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,942

0 members and 2,942 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: BP acting weird

Thanks

BP acting weird

I’m not sure if this is normal, but ever since I got my ball python he has never gone into his cool side hide. I’ve had him for 9 days now and he’s spent about half his time on his hot side and half his time on his cool side. When he’s on the hot side he spends his time in his hide. When he’s on the cool side he spends his time in the back corner BEHIND his cool hide. Why does he do this and is this normal or should I be concerned? Does he just not know where his hide entrance is? Something else that is weird is he digested his food on his cool side. I thought they always needed the heat to help digest. For my heating I use an UTH on hot side set at 87-90° and a ceramic heat emitter on my cool side. (Gets air temp and cool side temp to 77°). My two hides are very identical. They are the same material and size, but the one on the hot side is slightly very slightly taller. My two theories are:
    1: he can’t find the entrance to his cool side hide (there is more plants around cool side hide entrance) if theory 1 is correct, should I put him inside his hide when I’m done with a handling session? (He’s new so I still have not handled him, he ate 3 days ago)
    2: he likes the feeling of heat coming from the heat emitter and wants to stay out because of that. (Where he sits is directly under it) if theory 2 is the reason, should I use the side with the heat pad as his cool side and heat emitter as his hot side?
    Or do you think these two aren’t the case and it’s something else? Or is this normal behavior? I’ve posted a picture of where he sits when on the cool side and a picture of his hot side hide for comparison. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by EthanMG; 07-29-2021 at 05:48 PM.

Thanks

BP acting weird

Quote Originally Posted by EthanMG View Post
    I’m not sure if this is normal, but ever since I got my ball python he has never gone into his cool side hide. I’ve had him for 9 days now and he’s spent about half his time on his hot side and half his time on his cool side. When he’s on the hot side he spends his time in his hide. When he’s on the cool side he spends his time in the back corner BEHIND his cool hide. Why does he do this and is this normal or should I be concerned? Does he just not know where his hide entrance is? Something else that is weird is he digested his food on his cool side. I thought they always needed the heat to help digest. For my heating I use an UTH on hot side set at 87-90° and a ceramic heat emitter on my cool side. (Gets air temp and cool side temp to 77°). My two hides are very identical. They are the same material and size, but the one on the hot side is slightly very slightly taller. My two theories are:
    1: he can’t find the entrance to his cool side hide (there is more plants around cool side hide entrance) if theory 1 is correct, should I put him inside his hide when I’m done with a handling session? (He’s new so I still have not handled him, he ate 3 days ago)
    2: he likes the feeling of heat coming from the heat emitter and wants to stay out because of that. (Where he sits is directly under it) if theory 2 is the reason, should I use the side with the heat pad as his cool side and heat emitter as his hot side?
    Or do you think these two aren’t the case and it’s something else? Or is this normal behavior? I’ve posted a picture of where he sits when on the cool side and a picture of his hot side hide for comparison. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated!

Update: I handled him for the first time tonight and everything went great! He was exploring and got to stretch out. After he was done, I put him back, guiding him towards his cool side hide and he quickly went in and he’s still in there. I hope that he now knows he can go in there. We’ll see

Last edited by EthanMG; 07-29-2021 at 10:39 PM.

Thanks
    Glad to hear the handling session went well! I remember I was so excited to handle my girl for the first time, and since she was slow to start eating and I wanted to get three good meals in a row in her before I even tried, it felt like I was waiting FOREVER!

As to your more specific questions - I wouldn't worry! Sounds like a snake doing normal snake things to me. Mine likes to hang out on her cool side most often, even after she eats (humidity is ideal and temps are perfect, hides are the exact same on both sides), she just likes it better on that side. Don't worry about him going to one side or the other after he eats; snakes know how to be snakes better than we do and he'll move if he feels like he needs to. As for sitting behind his hide - he might not have known where the entrance was at first (it took my snake a few weeks to figure out how to get inside her humidity box), but it sounds like he's got it now. Don't worry if he goes behind it again, anyway. It looks nice and secluded back there, so he probably feels hidden and safe. Sometimes my girl likes to chill on top of her hides. Snakes just sometimes do things that are beyond our comprehension.

Also, since he's still such a new addition, he probably still has some settling in to do. Now that my Miriam's eating great and settled in, she acts totally different than she did when I first got her. Back then, she was exploring more, getting into everything, knocking everything over, wedging herself behind things, and now she rarely does any of those things. Try not to worry about the weird stuff he does while he's still so new. He probably still needs some time to figure everything out in his enclosure.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arpowell For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-30-2021),EL-Ziggy (07-30-2021),EthanMG (07-30-2021)

Thanks

Re: BP acting weird

Quote Originally Posted by arpowell View Post
    Glad to hear the handling session went well! I remember I was so excited to handle my girl for the first time, and since she was slow to start eating and I wanted to get three good meals in a row in her before I even tried, it felt like I was waiting FOREVER!

As to your more specific questions - I wouldn't worry! Sounds like a snake doing normal snake things to me. Mine likes to hang out on her cool side most often, even after she eats (humidity is ideal and temps are perfect, hides are the exact same on both sides), she just likes it better on that side. Don't worry about him going to one side or the other after he eats; snakes know how to be snakes better than we do and he'll move if he feels like he needs to. As for sitting behind his hide - he might not have known where the entrance was at first (it took my snake a few weeks to figure out how to get inside her humidity box), but it sounds like he's got it now. Don't worry if he goes behind it again, anyway. It looks nice and secluded back there, so he probably feels hidden and safe. Sometimes my girl likes to chill on top of her hides. Snakes just sometimes do things that are beyond our comprehension.

Also, since he's still such a new addition, he probably still has some settling in to do. Now that my Miriam's eating great and settled in, she acts totally different than she did when I first got her. Back then, she was exploring more, getting into everything, knocking everything over, wedging herself behind things, and now she rarely does any of those things. Try not to worry about the weird stuff he does while he's still so new. He probably still needs some time to figure everything out in his enclosure.
    Ok thanks so much for clearing all that up! I’m happy to hear that, because basically everything you described is exactly how he acts .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Your posts remind me of my own experiences not even a full year ago when my BP came home and I went through very much the same "first snake jitters" as you are (not technically my first but it's been so long he might as well be). But it just means you want what's best for your new friend and that's never a bad thing, and life will mellow out for you both as you get the hang of this human/serpent relationship together. May you have many pleasant years with him.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

arpowell (07-30-2021),Bogertophis (07-30-2021),EthanMG (07-30-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Your posts remind me of my own experiences not even a full year ago when my BP came home and I went through very much the same "first snake jitters" as you are (not technically my first but it's been so long he might as well be). But it just means you want what's best for your new friend and that's never a bad thing, and life will mellow out for you both as you get the hang of this human/serpent relationship together. May you have many pleasant years with him.
    Yeah, you’re right, I feel like helicopter parent lol. Over analyzing, making sure everything is perfect. He will be with me for a long time and looking forward to the bonding experience where he gets to feel even more comfortable around me. maybe one day I’ll get more noodle friends, but for now this guys occupying all my attention (without bothering you r stressing him of course)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EthanMG For This Useful Post:

Snagrio (07-30-2021)

Thanks
    Haha, don't worry about feeling like a helicopter parent! Before my snake, I was an experienced reptile keeper but hadn't had snakes yet, and I think the fact that so many other reptiles are so much more intensive than most snakes made me a little paranoid. I would get worried every time my snake so much as popped her head out of her hide earlier than usual. It's normal to be a little anxious and worried with your first snake, and it really tells me that you love your snake and want to give him the best life possible. I'm so excited for your snake, because I can tell you'll give him an awesome life!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to arpowell For This Useful Post:

EthanMG (07-30-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EthanMG View Post
    ...When he’s on the cool side he spends his time in the back corner BEHIND his cool hide. Why does he do this and is this normal or should I be concerned? Does he just not know where his hide entrance is? Something else that is weird is he digested his food on his cool side....
    Apart from having trouble finding his way into the cool hide (remember snakes don't use vision very well- they tend to learn their way around using scent & by feel), it might be that his cool hide actually feels "bigger" inside to him than the space he wedges himself into behind it. What he's doing is similar to what snakes do in the wild- squeezing into rock crevices to hide. They like to feel wedged-in, & it's possible his hides feel too big to him. If that's the case, trying wadding some paper into the hide to make it feel more snug.

I've lived with many snakes for many years, & believe me, they don't read the training manuals. You'd think they'd show some gratitude after we spend so much money buying equipment to heat & regulate the temperatures safely in their enclosures, but no-o-o-o. It appears to me that sometimes they deliberately slow down their digestion by staying on the cool side instead of heading for the warmth- my hunch (& observation) is that when the meal feels "large" to them, they slow their digestion so as not to overwhelm their GI tract, or perhaps to better digest & benefit from the nutrients? As long as they have options & 'get the job done', don't worry about it- they probably know what they're doing, even if we don't.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

arpowell (07-30-2021),EthanMG (07-30-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Apart from having trouble finding his way into the cool hide (remember snakes don't use vision very well- they tend to learn their way around using scent & by feel), it might be that his cool hide actually feels "bigger" inside to him than the space he wedges himself into behind it. What he's doing is similar to what snakes do in the wild- squeezing into rock crevices to hide. They like to feel wedged-in, & it's possible his hides feel too big to him. If that's the case, trying wadding some paper into the hide to make it feel more snug.

I've lived with many snakes for many years, & believe me, they don't read the training manuals. You'd think they'd show some gratitude after we spend so much money buying equipment to heat & regulate the temperatures safely in their enclosures, but no-o-o-o. It appears to me that sometimes they deliberately slow down their digestion by staying on the cool side instead of heading for the warmth- my hunch (& observation) is that when the meal feels "large" to them, they slow their digestion so as not to overwhelm their GI tract, or perhaps to better digest & benefit from the nutrients? As long as they have options & 'get the job done', don't worry about it- they probably know what they're doing, even if we don't.
    Great points and tips! Didn’t think about stuffing paper in the hide. That spot he sits in does fit more snug. As always thanks for your help