Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,772

1 members and 1,771 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thank you all very much for all the advice. Gives me alot to try and help her so she can eat soon. I found black Tupperware on the Walmart website. Also may be looking into the one that was linked in one of the responses. I hope this helps out little girl eat.

Thanks
    Here she is!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JJpeep For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-30-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    She's a pretty little "trouble-maker"!

Be sure to compare her size (coiled up, in inches) to the actual size of hides you're looking to buy (or containers to re-purpose), especially if you're getting something shipped to you. Don't assume what "small" or "medium" means, compare the product descriptions to your coiled snake so you get the right size that fits with a little more room, but not "too much".
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-30-2021 at 10:46 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Right, that is why I sort of am Leary about shipping to be from a website. I would like to check it out in person. When she is rolled up she is probably the size of my fist right now. So if I cought in person I could at least compare to my hand. Just that sometimes now, with online stuff they only carry it online. So that kinda is annoying. I'll get her something eventually. I am going to get something different for the male too. Even though he isn't posing any problems with us. He may want to feel cozy as well.

Thanks

Re: A little insight on what to do if snake won't eat

Quote Originally Posted by JJpeep View Post
    Right, that is why I sort of am Leary about shipping to be from a website. I would like to check it out in person. When she is rolled up she is probably the size of my fist right now. So if I cought in person I could at least compare to my hand. Just that sometimes now, with online stuff they only carry it online. So that kinda is annoying. I'll get her something eventually. I am going to get something different for the male too. Even though he isn't posing any problems with us. He may want to feel cozy as well.
    That's why they give the measurements of the hides- use a ruler to measure off a piece of paper if you need to; OR, modify clean cardboard boxes to suit your snake. Things like crackers or cookies come in a nice size. When they get 'dirty' they're trash, of course, but the longer you delay, the worse it is for a baby snake to not be eating. You should not put this off. "Eventually" isn't the right idea.

Thanks
    No, no, you got me wrong. I meant eventually with a different enclosures entirely, the eventually came from looking at those heavy duty hides is what I meant, sorry I wasn't clear.
    Just came back from the store actually. I got both snakes a stump with one hole in the front and I got those black Tupperware containers at Walmart. I have them two each of the same, one dry and one humid. Also got them small ceramic bowl for water in the corner near the humid hide. I got some frozen mice for the next offer, which we will wait. I know someone mentioned maybe an adult mouse was too big for her (she did eat a small adult in the beginning). But, I got two fuzzies and more adults cuz the male takes em down no issue. They both are on the other side of their enclosures on the logs that you guys said isn't ideal for them. We kept them in just because of the 'cluttered' look the better for their security. Fingers crossed and thanks so much for all of your help.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JJpeep For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-31-2021)

Thanks
    Yes, I'd keep the logs to add 'furniture'- just don't consider them adequate as hides when snakes need privacy. I actually like & use those half-log tunnels in front of the doorway of the hides that some of my rat snakes have- you can think of it like their covered front porch. It adds overall to their warm hides, & they climb on top also.

And thanks for explaining, glad I misunderstood your post. For 'baby' (hatchling) BPs, usually the best size prey is a hopper- bigger than a fuzzy, & about half the size of a mature adult mouse. I agree that an adult mouse was probably too big for her, but fuzzies are probably too small. It's frustrating if your local source doesn't have all the right sizes.

Thanks
    Okay. The guy we bought them off of said they were on fuzzies, but adult mice very soon. So I wasn't really sure about it. The fuzzies and the small adults I got really weren't a huge difference in size. But I will keep that in mind about the hoppers.
    It's okay you misunderstood. After I read it back I was kind of all over the place with that post. I was just about to go to sleep and responded. Must've been more tired than I thought😂🙄
    Last edited by JJpeep; 07-31-2021 at 11:34 PM.

Thanks

Okay. The guy we bought them off of said they were on fuzzies, but adult mice very soon. So I wasn't really sure about it. ...
    That's a big jump from fuzzy to adult, lol- sounds like your source mis-spoke or didn't know what they were talking about. If you look at online sources, you can see the sizes- for example, check out this chart on Perfect Prey: https://perfectprey.com/frozen-mice/

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Hello,
    Can I get some tips/info/advice for a snake that is not eating?
    I got two BPs in June. The male ate 5+ times already. The female ate only once, a week after bringing her home. She has been offered a mouse everytime the male has. She will look interested. Guard it, even seem to get upset after it is in her enclosure for a long time when we remove it. But she isn't eating. Is there anything we can do to try to encourage her to start readily eating? I have heard some BPs can be picky, but like I said she did eat one time. We didn't change size color or anything with the mouse. It was a thawed small adult. She is still really active and sometimes looks like she is hunting.
    Hi

I’ve sent you details of the hairdryer method of feeding to your inbox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast