Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,811

0 members and 2,811 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Hesitant about the NRBE in Daytona

I've been planning to go to the NRBE in Daytona this August. However, I'd like to have a sane discussion about whether I should go. I will quickly outline my concerns.

- Easily transmissible reptile diseases when I have two other reptiles in my house (I will quarantine in a separate room but all parts of my house are used in a day)
    - It feels political (USARK are reptile lobbyists) and this puts me way off going
    - UndergroundReptiles is sponsoring it and I hate them
    - Also probably sponsored by a gross feeder company that treats their animals inhumanely

So, I wanted to go to a show because I want a Trans-Pecos ratsnake and I refuse to have any snake shipped to me. I also want to be able to see the snake before buying it.

The only breeder at the Repticon near me who had TPRSes has been so incredibly terrible at communicating with me (no response from either email address given to me by the owner at the con, or either phone number also given to me by the owner--over two different shows spanning more than six months), that I can't rely on them. The owner has also been convicted of animal trafficking. Like, how do these people even sell at shows.

But I really kind of have a moral issue with these kinds of shows. They are sponsored by crappy companies. My opinions don't really line up with USARK enough to want to support them (just so people don't post about it, I also don't support how Florida manages their invasive species; I don't think either side is "right" so I wouldn't really want to support either). It's a big event where animals are products... and so on. And, I know you can't really do anything about this, but shows like this encourage impulse purchases, and that doesn't align with how I feel about pets.

The main things I want to ask you all on the forums are:
    - How likely is it that the snake I get will have a virus like crypto etc? (again... I'm going to quarantine and have my snake see my vet)
    - What are your positive and negative experiences with gigantic reptile expos?
    - Are there actually responsible breeders at this gigantic show?
    - I am basically locked in to getting a Trans-Pecos ratsnake because of my arid desert setup. Are there alternate species that get to a similar size (I don't want any less than 4 feet), that I should consider?
    - I initially had luck posting an ISO on faunaclassifieds (before I could pick up the snake, some of the person's collection became symptomatic for crypto). Are there other places I can search for a local breeder or someone wanting to rehome one? (I don't have Facebook.)
    ----------
    Animals in my house:

1.0 Green Iguana
    1.0 New Zealand Rabbit
    1.0 Blonde Trans-Pecos Rat Snake
    1.0 Japanese Rat Snake
    ? Panda King Isopod Colony
    6 Blue Death-Feigning Beetles
    4 Hellburnt Diabolical Ironclad Beetles

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Hesitant about the NRBE in Daytona

I'm going to be really honest, I feel like there's going to be some arguments in this thread, so in an attempt to avoid that I'll just say this. You don't support any of the companies, individuals, or organizations that are sponsoring or taking part in this expo. That being said, regardless of the reason, why even consider going? Your money talks louder than you, so if you don't support it, don't spend your money there.

I get that this may be the easiest way for you to get certain species that you're interested in, but in my opinion if you feel the way you say you do, buying a snake there would be like me posting about how I don't support Apple's policies from my iPhone.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (07-28-2021),Bogertophis (07-28-2021),GoingPostal (07-28-2021),jmcrook (07-28-2021),TofuTofuTofu (07-28-2021),WrongPython (07-28-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TofuTofuTofu View Post
    The main things I want to ask you all on the forums are:
    - How likely is it that the snake I get will have a virus like crypto etc? (again... I'm going to quarantine and have my snake see my vet)
    - What are your positive and negative experiences with gigantic reptile expos?
    - Are there actually responsible breeders at this gigantic show?
    - I am basically locked in to getting a Trans-Pecos ratsnake because of my arid desert setup. Are there alternate species that get to a similar size (I don't want any less than 4 feet), that I should consider?
    - I initially had luck posting an ISO on faunaclassifieds (before I could pick up the snake, some of the person's collection became symptomatic for crypto). Are there other places I can search for a local breeder or someone wanting to rehome one? (I don't have Facebook.)
    You're already opposed to most everything about the NRBE, so it doesn't seem to be in your best interest to go, & I'll just address these questions (above):

No one can tell you or predict accurately the likelihood of bringing home a sick snake...from ANY where. It happens, odds unknown & unknowable.

It's been many years since I attended any "gigantic reptile expos"- that was in So. Calif.- but I never came home with any sick or mite-infested snakes, & to the extent that I enjoy seeing all the temptations, getting ideas for products available, plus meeting other long-time reptile breeders & sharing information with them, it was a positive experience for me, each time.

I think ANY such shows have both good & "bad" sources...it's best to find out ahead of time what vendors will be there & DO YOUR HOMEWORK on them. If you find a good source, you could also contact them without going to the show- that would reduce the chance of pathogens & parasites that are shared at such events. You'd only have the source to blame then. But you wouldn't be seeing the live animal & most will be too far away for anything other than air shipping -unless you want to take a very long drive???

I can't think of a better snake than a Trans Pecos rat snake for your set-up, not one that fits the size you want also.

You might try checking the ads on Kingsnake.com? But again, they aren't necessarily local & you need to do your homework for them too. (I don't do FB either. )
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (07-28-2021),jmcrook (07-28-2021),TofuTofuTofu (07-28-2021)

Thanks
    Thanks everyone. I think I kind of just convinced myself not to go, anyway. I guess it would be best for my peace of mind to keep looking on my own instead of going to the show.
    ----------
    Animals in my house:

1.0 Green Iguana
    1.0 New Zealand Rabbit
    1.0 Blonde Trans-Pecos Rat Snake
    1.0 Japanese Rat Snake
    ? Panda King Isopod Colony
    6 Blue Death-Feigning Beetles
    4 Hellburnt Diabolical Ironclad Beetles

Thanks
    I don't know what reputation this company has, AND they "ONLY" ship (no "brick & mortor" store location) but if you're near one of their locations, you might try talking them into meeting you someplace, IF -AFTER you verify they have a good reputation. (They might say no, but they might say yes, just to make a sale? How persuasive are you?) I took a quick look & this is the only place I saw TPs in stock att. Keep in mind that these eggs usually hatch in late fall.

Again, I have NO knowledge about this company, THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT- I've not done business with them, but I have had snakes shipped to me in the past with only good results. Just saying.

Either that, or you need to join the Facebook group that specializes in Trans Pecos rat snakes. Or wait a while for newly-hatched snakes, & you might need to be on a waiting list (hint!).

Quoting from their site: We have locations in CA, TX, and FL, but do not have public storefronts, sorry. We are online only and are not set up for customer pick-ups.

http://www.backwaterreptiles.com/rat-snakes/transpecos-rat-snake-for-sale.html

Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-28-2021 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    So as not to derail this thread into feedback/referrals, I'll just say that a quick search of this web site's feedback forum at https://ball-pythons.net/forums/foru...iries-Feedback will tell you all you need to know and then some about Backwater.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-28-2021),Hugsplox (07-29-2021),jmcrook (07-28-2021)

Thanks
    So keep doing research to find a breeder of TPs with a GOOD reputation, & get on their "waiting list" for the coming season. Not even any TPs on MM at this point. I saw that "Backwater" had TPs listed, & that was just an "example", not an endorsement as I already said. If you have Dusty Rhoads book "The Complete Suboc", there may be sources listed in that- I don't have time to look right now.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-28-2021 at 08:51 PM.