Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,931

2 members and 2,929 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mites things?

Thanks

Re: Mites things?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I know, & in summer, I avoid running my oven too. Glad you don't leave with oven on- You definitely want to keep an eye on the stove/oven when it's on, whether food or baking substrate.

I didn't get any bugs in my Repti-Bark, but I just know others have posted about it, & not just this product specifically, but any similar ones that are "appealing" to the little buggers. It's not all the time, but it can happen. The bags have small air holes & then sometimes bugs find a "home".
    I live and learn. Thanks for the advice! I'm convinced they came in the reptibark since I just did a deep clean and used a full bag of it for the first time. And it's causing incredibly humidity which bugs love. I'll be baking this substrate prior to use if I get it again.

Thanks
    I decided to purge. I really don't have the time to bake all the substrate and luckily tomorrow is trash day so I can put it all out on the curb. And I'm not sure if I can get all the mites and not cross contaminate while shifting so much substrate around. Plush some are probably still around despite a lot of vacuuming when it flys onto the floor. I don't want this to be an ongoing battle. Trying to get rid of any kind of infestation can be a PETA. I threw it all out and I'm going to bake the grapevines that I have to salvage them.

I'm not finding anything on the internet to ensure they're gone. Would spraying the viv down and the fake plants with vinegar get rid of them? Should I do paper towels for a month or something to ensure they're gone?
    Last edited by Trinityblood; 07-25-2021 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Remember they're harmless, & nothing whatsoever like dealing with snake mites. No, don't spray with vinegar. If you want to do paper towels, that's up to you. BTW, used Reptibark is great as landscaping mulch too- & those bugs are harmless there too.

Depending on where you live & how hot it is, you might have been able to just put the bag of substrate out in the hot sun for a while, like on top of a hot metal trash can. Like gnats, wood mites are nothing serious, just annoying.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-25-2021 at 01:02 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Mites things?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Remember they're harmless, & nothing whatsoever like dealing with snake mites. No, don't spray with vinegar. If you want to do paper towels, that's up to you. BTW, used Reptibark is great as landscaping mulch too- & those bugs are harmless there too.
    I'm sure I'm overreacting. I've just had bad experiences with house infestations and really don't like bugs, so my first instinct is kill it with fire and everything else before it spreads. I pray I never get snake mites. I've been paranoid about them to the point of dumping my clothes in the washer and immediately taking a shower after I go to a reptile shop. I did dump some of the bark in the landscaping. They can live out there all they want!
    Last edited by Trinityblood; 07-25-2021 at 01:04 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12