Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,871

0 members and 2,871 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storing Rodents

Thanks
    I wrap each one in cling wrap and put them in a gallon zip lock. Throw it in the freezer.
    Last edited by Trinityblood; 07-24-2021 at 01:31 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    In a vacuum bag they will keep for years. In a freezer ziplock bag you have six months max. The seal a meal vacuum sealer has a web site that sells refurbished cheap. Don’t use your wife’s sealer! I still don’t hear the end of that one.

Buy it cheap an stack it deep. Break down the order into smaller bags.

An you can reseal bags after you open them. But that takes a sealer.

Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

EthanMG (07-24-2021)

Thanks

Re: Storing Rodents

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    In a vacuum bag they will keep for years. In a freezer ziplock bag you have six months max. The seal a meal vacuum sealer has a web site that sells refurbished cheap. Don’t use your wife’s sealer! I still don’t hear the end of that one.

Buy it cheap an stack it deep. Break down the order into smaller bags.

An you can reseal bags after you open them. But that takes a sealer.

Good luck!
    Yes, I think I will go the vacuum seal route. Makes me feel better knowing I’m doing what’s best for my snake and guaranteeing freshness. lol bet your wife was not happened !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EthanMG View Post
    Yes, I think I will go the vacuum seal route. Makes me feel better knowing I’m doing what’s best for my snake and guaranteeing freshness. lol bet your wife was not happened !

I had to buy her a new sealer. Darn kids told on me

Food Saver is the model an web site. Too many seal a meal ads on TV back in the 70's.

Food Vacuum Sealers | FoodSaver

Good luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

EthanMG (07-24-2021)

Thanks

I had to buy her a new sealer. Darn kids told on me

Food Saver is the model an web site. Too many seal a meal ads on TV back in the 70's.

Food Vacuum Sealers | FoodSaver

Good luck!
    Haha . The link you put is to a crock pot… would a generic one from Walmart work? Do I ever have to replace any parts. I was planning on putting two per pack, and resealing the extra one for the next week. Would this be fine? I only have one snake btw.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Haha . The link you put is to a crock pot… would a generic one from Walmart work? Do I ever have to replace any parts. I was planning on putting two per pack, and resealing the extra one for the next week. Would this be fine? I only have one snake btw.

One snake? Big orders I would pack in 5's or so. Open a five pack an put the bag in a freezer bag or reseal it. Freezer bags work for the short term fine. If you don't want all the rats frozen together besides sealing singles wax paper works great.

One guy I sell jumbo rats to seals each one on a roll of ten. He pulls what he wants an throws the sealed rats in a tub of water to thaw. The last ten minutes he adds warm/hot water. His wife made him buy his own freezer

When Big Cheese or the like have a sale he'll buy 200. Break them down an reseal them.

Any sealer "should" work. I have worn one out. Burnt up the pump after 50 deer, 10 pigs, 20 cows an 1,000's of fish. Had another that the seals failed after 8 years. Bought a bigger model an gave the old one away to family. They paid $10 for seals on E-bay an it's still going strong.

What ever model you buy look at what size bags it will do. 8" will work fine but I like the 11" models. More options an if it takes the 11" it will do the smaller rolls. An 8" x 20' roll will do a bunch of rats. Buying rolls is cheaper an you make the size bag you need.

An the vacuum sealer is for more then just food. I've sealed paper work, photos, hard drives, meds an sporting equipment.

Good luck!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

EthanMG (07-24-2021)

Thanks

One snake? Big orders I would pack in 5's or so. Open a five pack an put the bag in a freezer bag or reseal it. Freezer bags work for the short term fine. If you don't want all the rats frozen together besides sealing singles wax paper works great.

One guy I sell jumbo rats to seals each one on a roll of ten. He pulls what he wants an throws the sealed rats in a tub of water to thaw. The last ten minutes he adds warm/hot water. His wife made him buy his own freezer

When Big Cheese or the like have a sale he'll buy 200. Break them down an reseal them.

Any sealer "should" work. I have worn one out. Burnt up the pump after 50 deer, 10 pigs, 20 cows an 1,000's of fish. Had another that the seals failed after 8 years. Bought a bigger model an gave the old one away to family. They paid $10 for seals on E-bay an it's still going strong.

What ever model you buy look at what size bags it will do. 8" will work fine but I like the 11" models. More options an if it takes the 11" it will do the smaller rolls. An 8" x 20' roll will do a bunch of rats. Buying rolls is cheaper an you make the size bag you need.

An the vacuum sealer is for more then just food. I've sealed paper work, photos, hard drives, meds an sporting equipment.

Good luck!
    I’ll probably stick to using a vacuum sealer… I would like to order in bulk and keep for longer than a few months because it’d be a waste of money to keep buying small orders for my one snake. I just got him 4 days ago, so I’m still figuring the details out. I’ll probably buy my sealer tomorrow, open my rat pups on Monday, seal them in packs of 1-2 and feed one to him that night. The vacuum sealer may not be that necessary for me now especially since I’ll have to upgrade his food size (he’s 160g and I’m starting him on rat pups), but I like the idea of keeping his food as fresh as I possibly can. Plus once he’s full grown I can order way more rats and keep them for longer. Good point, I didn’t think of sealing other things than rodents and food. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Ok thank you. Interesting, most people that I’ve heard from don’t feed at does substrate ever get stuck, or do you use paper?

Some are on a substrate and others on paper. All get the same wet rodents. I grab the feeder to be offered and let it drip for a bit... Until the water is only a drip and no longer steady. Then I offer. Sometimes a little substrate may stick but nothing crazy. If I see a big piece I'll remove it but really the snakes do a pretty good job of knocking the larger ones off as they swallow.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

EthanMG (07-26-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12