Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,932

0 members and 2,932 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Question My BP has been behaving a bit strange

As of today, my ball python has been in his cooler, more humid hide for the last 13 days. I have not seen him leave the hide at all, but he does move around inside. The temperatures on his cool side hover around 80F, and his warm side around 88F, with the basking spot between 93F and 97F. I haven't tried to bother him since he went into hiding because I thought he might be starting to shed. It's been hard to tell because of the way he has hidden himself away though. His most recent poop was runny; not fully liquid, but definitely not the usual. Does anyone have an idea of what's going on? Is he shedding, or is something wrong with him? Any tips or advice is wonderful.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Basking spot is too HOT- please lower it immediately to 90* or below! Over that is unsafe- even snakes that love to be "warm" can die from heat strokes.

And double-check all your temperatures- cool side would be fine at 78*- it's essential that you make sure your thermometer/or temp. gun is accurate.

Fix his temperatures A.S.A.P.- then worry about checking his stools.

While snakes going into shed cycle typically prefer the cool side (& humid hides, if provided), I think he's just over-heated.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-21-2021 at 11:07 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (07-22-2021),Hugsplox (07-22-2021)

Thanks

Re: My BP has been behaving a bit strange

His warm side actually used to be warmer. Once the bulb burned out and I replaced it is when he started hiding on that side. I even bought a dimmer for the light to lower the temperature, but He still stayed over there. It's just strange to me that he suddenly started hiding despite having had no issues before. If for some reason it isn't the heat, what could it be?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Hoatzin View Post
    His warm side actually used to be warmer. Once the bulb burned out and I replaced it is when he started hiding on that side. I even bought a dimmer for the light to lower the temperature, but He still stayed over there. It's just strange to me that he suddenly started hiding despite having had no issues before. If for some reason it isn't the heat, what could it be?
    Used to be warmer? That's not a good thing.

I don't have any hotspots that reach 90. 85 is what I shoot for.

Lower it and see what happens. Overall a hiding snake is a happy snake. Just because it stays on one side over the other doesn't matter if the numbers are good. My Ball stays on the cool side most of the time. I don't count the days but it's certainly there more than it's not.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-22-2021),Hugsplox (07-22-2021)

Thanks

my cool side ranges from 72-75, and my warm upwards of 85-usually warmer but whenever i mist it gets lower, you sound like you know what you're talking about, so should i change anything? My two thermometers are on either side, so it's not exactly perfect, with 2 gauges in the middle one for humidity oone for heat. I have a 40gal so what are your thoughts on that?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DatBoiAJ_ View Post
    my cool side ranges from 72-75, and my warm upwards of 85-usually warmer but whenever i mist it gets lower, you sound like you know what you're talking about, so should i change anything? My two thermometers are on either side, so it's not exactly perfect, with 2 gauges in the middle one for humidity oone for heat. I have a 40gal so what are your thoughts on that?
    Sounds like you're pretty good. Like I said I shoot for 85 as a hotspot but of course with outside temp changes that number is a little higher at times. Being at 85 though gives that wiggle room so when it happens my collection is not in a danger zone. Also some of my snakes, like by BRB, don't like higher temps. They all do great with what I do do I stick with it.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Cool. Thanks for the advice