Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,846

3 members and 2,843 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

I just got my first ball python!

Here’s my new little boy, he’s a pastel enchi bamboo 50% het pied male. His name is Luca and He was born on June 6th. He’s so cute! I just brought him home from fed ex 1 hour ago! He’s exploring so much and seems very happy. Lots of tongue flickers and moving around. if he continues to be this active could I handle him in 48 hours, then feed for the first time 3 days after that, or just wait a week to feed without handling him? Also, on while he was being shipped, he produced a urate, and he kind of stinks. Should I soak him or wait, or not soak him at all. and if I should wait, how long until? I’ll post some photos. I’m so excited!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EthanMG For This Useful Post:

Trinityblood (07-21-2021)

Thanks

Re: I just got my first ball python!

Congrats he is a handsome guy.. I'm no expert by any means, and everyone has a variation on when to handle for the 1st time.. After x amount of weeks after x amount of feedings. Personally I wait until they have 2 feedings, it could be 2 weeks it could be longer. Being active all the time doesn't mean they are comfortable, as he just arrived he is still adjusting to his new home.. A happy adjusted BP is usually one you never see.

As for a bath I've never had to bathe one on arrival. You could rinse him in warm water and dawn dish soap..

As for feeding offer him a meal on feeding day based on the schedule the breeder had him on. If he doesn't take it offer again in 5-7 days.

Good luck..

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Auntie_Moe For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (07-21-2021),EthanMG (07-21-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie_Moe View Post
    Congrats he is a handsome guy.. I'm no expert by any means, and everyone has a variation on when to handle for the 1st time.. After x amount of weeks after x amount of feedings. Personally I wait until they have 2 feedings, it could be 2 weeks it could be longer. Being active all the time doesn't mean they are comfortable, as he just arrived he is still adjusting to his new home.. A happy adjusted BP is usually one you never see.

As for a bath I've never had to bathe one on arrival. You could rinse him in warm water and dawn dish soap..

As for feeding offer him a meal on feeding day based on the schedule the breeder had him on. If he doesn't take it offer again in 5-7 days.

Good luck..
    Thanks! I may try and feed him on Friday, the breeder said he was fed every 3-5 days but said I should feed every 5-7. Good point about his activity. He is still yet to go into one of his hides. He has knocked over and moved basically everything in his enclosure . His hides are two very light baby wipes containers. He has moved them quite a bit. I may need to put more substrate to hold them in place. Thanks for your input!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EthanMG View Post
    He has knocked over and moved basically everything in his enclosure . His hides are two very light baby wipes containers. He has moved them quite a bit.
    This never changes with some of them. My females rearrange their enclosures every night. I find hides upside down, moved to the middle of the enclosure. One likes to burrow and sleep under her water bowl.. My boys way more well behaved..

Thanks

This never changes with some of them. My females rearrange their enclosures every night. I find hides upside down, moved to the middle of the enclosure. One likes to burrow and sleep under her water bowl.. My boys way more well behaved..
    That’s too funny ! Do you have to constantly put them back on the warm and cool side then?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EthanMG View Post
    That’s too funny ! Do you have to constantly put them back on the warm and cool side then?

Usually its the cool side that they flip and move.. At least 4 days a weeks someone moves a hide. One of my girls also knocks her thermometers over almost every night. I sometimes think that's her way of getting more attention... She knows I will fix them and say hi to her...
    0.1 Pastave het Clown - Masquerade
    1.0 Onyx - Voivod
    0.1 Super Pastel Butter G-Stripe - Phobia
    1.0 Axanthic het G-Stripe - Dusk
    0.1 Normal het Axanthic - Dawn
    1.0 Pastel Axanthic - Jasper

Thanks

Usually its the cool side that they flip and move.. At least 4 days a weeks someone moves a hide. One of my girls also knocks her thermometers over almost every night. I sometimes think that's her way of getting more attention... She knows I will fix them and say hi to her...
    Yup that’s so sweet. You already know both my thermometers are flipped as well

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

Congratulations on your awesome new critter! I agree with getting a few (2-3) consecutive feedings in before you start handling. Best wishes!
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-21-2021),jmcrook (07-21-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Congratulations on your awesome new critter! I agree with getting a few (2-3) consecutive feedings in before you start handling. Best wishes!
    Ok sounds good, I’ll wait until then. You guys are a lot more experienced, thanks for your input!

Banned
    Thanks

Smile

I like him, he is cute , hell ya

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dee151 For This Useful Post:

EthanMG (07-22-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast