Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,200

1 members and 3,199 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Shedding more frequently

Hello, I have had an adult ball python for about three years now. He's around 7 years old, and he usually sheds once every 2.5-3 months. However, I just noticed that he is in blue despite it having not even been two months since his last shed. He doesn't have any injuries that I've noticed, and he's not eating more than usual. When should I be concerned? Can illnesses make snakes shed more? Should I be thinking about getting bloodwork done? Any information on the topic would be helpful.

Also to note, I did make a thread on here right around last time he shed about him soaking frequently. Found insects crawling around his hides. Pretty sure they were not snake mites, as I switched him to paper towels and haven't seen anything on him or the towels since (and they also didn't look like snake mites). Not sure if stress can make snakes shed faster, though I'm not sure why it would? Anyway, just thought I would mention it in case it might be relevant. https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
    Last edited by TayKiren; 07-20-2021 at 12:20 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    Snakes don't shed on an exact schedule, nor do they grow at a perfectly steady rate- just like us, they can have "growth spurts". He sounds fine to me, & while injuries can make a snake shed more frequently, I wouldn't worry.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-20-2021)