Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,821

4 members and 3,817 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Unhappy First Time BP Owner... Need some Help!

Despite the title, I should mention I manage a pet store. This is the first ball python I've actually owned, but I have experience with them.

Just a little backstory: I got this beautiful super pastel ball python from one of my companies breeders (perks of working at a pet store LOL). Unfortunately, she (maybe he) came with mites and was very underweight. It's pretty common for our snakes to come in poor conditions I treated the mites with Reptile relief and it did the trick as I had caught it early and it wasn't a severe case. After the mites were gone (I even did a couple extra preventative treatments to make sure they were gone), she began to shed immediately. The shed was absolutely horrible. It was so flaky and was coming off in the tiniest pieces, I had given her a few soaks and it eventually all came off. After all that, She was very hungry and easily ate.

This whole ordeal was about 6 weeks ago and since then, she's been eating (a 30g rat every 7-10 days) and she's been docile, and not showing any signs of stress. She's been exploring her enclosure at night and she's been letting me take her out with no problems

Until I noticed that she was starting to shed again a few days ago, she has been very hissy and is running away from me! she isnt balling up or getting aggressive, she physically tried to get away from me I understand that shedding is a stressful time, so I've been leaving her alone aside from misting. I haven't been too worried until today. I opened her enclosure to mist everything and rather than hearing a hiss, I heard a squeak (maybe a sneeze). That has really worried me and especially with the very sudden behavior change, I'm scared this might be an infection (especially considering she came to me in bad condition). Even with her first shed with me, she was not this stressed out (she let me handle her multiple times and let me help her pull stuck shed after soaking). I've never seen this behavior in a ball python, so it has me a little stressed!

I feel like a scared mama bear right now! I'm probably overreacting, but with everything she's been through, I want to make sure there aren't any underlying issues. (She's about 400g and 1.5 feet, so I'm estimating she's about 6 months, she might be older considering she is still a little skinny from when i first got her)

Thanks for reading all of that, and PLEASE HELP ME!

Enclosure Info;
    Tank size - Approx. 25 Gallons
    Substrate - Mix of Coco husk and Coco Soil
    Basking spot/Warm Side - Ranges from 85-92
    Cooler side - Ranges from 70-72
    Humidity - 50% sometimes drops to 45% (I realize this is low. I have a tank with a mesh lid. I have taped the top with aluminum foil tape in hopes to fix this issue)

Two hides (one on either end of the tank), a lot of climbing logs and tons of silk plants.
    Large water dish (big enough that she can lay in it if she pleases)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I would attempt to get your cool side up to 75-78F if you can, which in a glass aquarium/terrarium style enclosure probably means getting a CHE unless you are willing to raise the room temp to 75 with a space heater. Other than that, your husbandry seems decent as long as you can get the humidity up just a tad.

Snakes in shed can make funny noises like sneezing because the dry skin around their nostrils and things so I wouldn't immediately freak. It may be 100% fine and normal. I would see if you can catch him/her yawning to get a peek inside the mouth. You may have to wait till shed is done and manually open it if you can't get a good look, don't want to stress them. What you would be looking for is odd coloration, anything that looks like cottage cheese, bubbles, and mucous. A healthy mouth should look pale pink and white, and not be fully "dry" but you shouldn't really see pools of saliva or mucous like you would in a human or dog's mouth. A vet visit is in order if things are not looking normal, could be an RI.

Hopefully it's nothing and just shed making the nostrils whistle a bit
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

newowner (07-19-2021)

Thanks

Re: First Time BP Owner... Need some Help!

Sooo It sounds like I could very well be overreacting... Thank you so much for the information <3

I will check out her mouth as soon as I can, I hope you're right and it is just the shed, especially since this is the first time she's made the noise.