Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,521

0 members and 2,521 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Leaving your ball python

I usually go out of town about 4-5 times a year. It’s usually for only a weekend or so, but about once to twice a year it could be up to 5-7 days. This is obviously too long to leave a snake alone for. I have a friend who. Could come in and change the water, but that’s it. I could get them to change the water half way through (3-4 days in) and make sure all the heating is still working. Something that worries me is if my snake poops early on from me leaving, there will be poop in the enclosure for a whole week, and this could lead to scale rot and other bad things because I do live in a more humid area. Plus, it’s gross. Something else that worries me is if my heat bulb or heat pad goes out while I’m away. There would be no one who could change it for me because I use a big heavy tank and not a simple tub. I do have a breeder in the area, I wouldn’t trust him to go in my house alone, but I would trust him to keep my snake a week. Is this a good idea? Would it be very stressful for my snake going from an enclosure to a rack system and being transported in the car? One other thing that worries me is one time when I went to see him, some of his collection had mites. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by EthanMG; 07-19-2021 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Leaving your ball python

Don’t feed the week leading up to your trip. Refresh the water right before you leave. Consider a CHE on a thermostat for heat instead of a bulb. The animal will be just fine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (07-19-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Don’t feed the week leading up to your trip. Refresh the water right before you leave. Consider a CHE on a thermostat for heat instead of a bulb. The animal will be just fine.

Ok so he could go a month without eating as a 9 month old? I use a CHE on a dimmer. Heat mat is on a thermostat. Does anyone know about how long the zoo med heat pads last? I know the CHEs last about 6 months if you’re lucky. I could just put on a new bulb before we go on a trip.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EthanMG View Post
    Ok so he could go a month without eating as a 9 month old? I use a CHE on a dimmer. Heat mat is on a thermostat. Does anyone know about how long the zoo med heat pads last? I know the CHEs last about 6 months if you’re lucky. I could just put on a new bulb before we go on a trip.

You said 5-7 days being gone. I wouldn’t withhold food from a baby for a month personally. Just don’t feed it the week before you leave and it will prevent any regurge or waste issues while you’re away.

I have a CHE I’ve been using off and on for years. 6 months seems like a short lifespan, but I only use mine for a short term quarantine set up as needed. The UTH should last for quite some time. I have some that have been in use for years.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-19-2021),Bogertophis (07-19-2021),EthanMG (07-19-2021),Hugsplox (07-19-2021),nikkubus (07-19-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    You said 5-7 days being gone. I wouldn’t withhold food from a baby for a month personally. Just don’t feed it the week before you leave and it will prevent any regurge or waste issues while you’re away.

I have a CHE I’ve been using off and on for years. 6 months seems like a short lifespan, but I only use mine for a short term quarantine set up as needed. The UTH should last for quite some time. I have some that have been in use for years.

The only reason I said a month is if I feed on Monday, he’d go the rest of that week plus the next week without being fed, then I’d go on trip for a week, so I’d be 3 weeks. I have to use my CHE and UTH 24/7 and the CHE typically last 4 months-1 year is what I’ve heard and read. That is if you use it 24/7. I’m glad to hear the UTH last a while even with 24/7 use.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

The only reason I said a month is if I feed on Monday, he’d go the rest of that week plus the next week without being fed, then I’d go on trip for a week, so I’d be 3 weeks. I have to use my CHE and UTH 24/7 and the CHE typically last 4 months-1 year is what I’ve heard and read. That is if you use it 24/7. I’m glad to hear the UTH last a while even with 24/7 use.

That's not a month without eating though that's two weeks. If you feed week 1, which is 2 weeks before you leave, you don't feed week 2, which is 1 week before you leave, you don't feed week 3, the week you're gone, the snake has only missed two feedings, you just feed it when you get back and you'll be fine. Missing two feedings at 9 months old is fine.

As far as your concerns about your equipment, I've got a few zoomed heat mats and CHEs that have been running non-stop (on thermostats) for years, but I still have backups should something fail and need to be replaced quickly. As they say, if you only have one you have none. Equipment fails sometimes, and there's not really a way to prevent it, it happens when it happens.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (07-19-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    That's not a month without eating though that's two weeks. If you feed week 1, which is 2 weeks before you leave, you don't feed week 2, which is 1 week before you leave, you don't feed week 3, the week you're gone, the snake has only missed two feedings, you just feed it when you get back and you'll be fine. Missing two feedings at 9 months old is fine.

As far as your concerns about your equipment, I've got a few zoomed heat mats and CHEs that have been running non-stop (on thermostats) for years, but I still have backups should something fail and need to be replaced quickly. As they say, if you only have one you have none. Equipment fails sometimes, and there's not really a way to prevent it, it happens when it happens.
    Ok that makes sense. Wow that’s a long time!hopefully mine last just as long. What CHE and dome do you use?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Ok that makes sense. Wow that’s a long time!hopefully mine last just as long. What CHE and dome do you use?

I just use Zoomed CHEs, the fixtures to be completely honest I'm not sure what brand they are. I've picked up so much stuff over the years just playing around trying to see what works best I'm not sure.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

EthanMG (07-19-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    I just use Zoomed CHEs, the fixtures to be completely honest I'm not sure what brand they are. I've picked up so much stuff over the years just playing around trying to see what works best I'm not sure.
    Ok thanks I bought a flukers bulb and fixture. If it doesn’t last long I’ll try the zoomed bulb.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    The next time your CHE dies try a DHP instead. While they're more expensive, I've been running one for several years and it's chugging right along.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast