Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,310

2 members and 3,308 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: How do you get a proper weight on a ball?

Quote Originally Posted by dee151 View Post
    Speaking of shed, how do I know? Her belly is not pink yet, but in the sun she is looking funny I took this picture cause of the different discoloration i see it looks bluish why? Is this a sign of shedding coming

My darkest BP is an Onyx, about 2 weeks before shed he turns a dull bluish color similar to what you are starting to see, his belly gets pink around the same time, he also gets very grumpy, about 2 days before shed his eyes blue.. It's a good chance you your girl is going to shed in the next few weeks.

My daughters Mojave blues and sheds within a week.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie_Moe View Post
    My darkest BP is an Onyx, about 2 weeks before shed he turns a dull bluish color similar to what you are starting to see, his belly gets pink around the same time, he also gets very grumpy, about 2 days before shed his eyes blue.. It's a good chance you your girl is going to shed in the next few weeks.

My daughters Mojave blues and sheds within a week.
    First Shed was with the breeder 6/14 so I know she should be shedding here soon, 15 to the end of this month, it should happen, but I'm new to ball python, First Ball so I just wanted to double check, I agree with what u say, so I also do thinks these are signs of shedding coming my way.
    If I wanted to add a lil moss, in her cool side, how long can I do this for?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Speaking of shed, how do I know? Her belly is not pink yet, but in the sun she is looking funny I took this picture cause of the different discoloration i see it looks bluish why? Is this a sign of shedding coming

Here's one way of knowing. The eyes will get all cloudy. This is Tynee. She'll shed in about a week.

You won't see a pink underside on Tynee, because she's all black. But, yes, my all-white ball python, the underside will turn a raw pink also before shedding. And obviously personalities will vary. Tynee has no problem coming out and sniffing around with curiousity when her eyes are all cloudy. But Luna the ball python wants to have nothing to do with anything or anyone, and will just hunker down in her hide when getting ready to shed.
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charles8088 View Post
    Here's one way of knowing. The eyes will get all cloudy. This is Tynee. She'll shed in about a week.

You won't see a pink underside on Tynee, because she's all black. But, yes, my all-white ball python, the underside will turn a raw pink also before shedding. And obviously personalities will vary. Tynee has no problem coming out and sniffing around with curiousity when her eyes are all cloudy. But Luna the ball python wants to have nothing to do with anything or anyone, and will just hunker down in her hide when getting ready to shed.
    So I don't want to feed my girl wen she sheds, so wen does that start? Wen the eyes turn cloudy?

Thanks

Every snake is different, so you really need to learn the individual behavior of your particular snake. My black girl (Mexican back kingsnake) will eat any time, whether in shed or not. My ball python will not. However, with that said, I usually won't feed any of my snakes when I see they're getting ready to shed. The exception is, if I'm feeding one of my other snakes, and the one in shed is showing signs of interest up at the glass (the MBK does so a lot), then I will feed her even in shed. Otherwise, I personally hold back when they're getting ready to shed. And, then, I will feed them 2 to 3 days after shedding. They seem to be extreme hungry and taking right after a good shed. That has been MY experience... for my bp, mbk, and my b. imperator.

There is no harm in feeding when they are in shed... as long as they take it.
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

If I wanted to add a lil moss, in her cool side, how long can I do this for?

I personally use a humidity box for my guy as he is in a glass tank and I struggle with keeping his humidity high enough when he is going to shed. I use a plastic food storage container with a hole cut out, put damp moss in it. I only put it in when he is in blue and take it out when he sheds. The container works perfect haven't had a bad shed yet. The snakes I have in tubs I do not do this for I find it is easier to maintain humidity in tubs..
    Last edited by Auntie_Moe; 07-20-2021 at 11:02 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Auntie_Moe For This Useful Post:

dee151 (07-20-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12