Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,453

3 members and 2,450 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Quick question about Chlorhexidine

I have a bottle of chlorhexidine diluted with water. I know this can be used when spot cleaning, but can I use it as my only cleaner to wipe down and spray the entire enclosure when doing a deep clean every 1-2 months? Could I also use it to just spray on all the decor and hides, let it dry, then put back in the enclosure and that’s it, or do I need another cleaner. I’ve seen mixed opinions about this, some people saying to use vinegar or bleach, which is more of a hassle because you have to make sure there is none left over. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,797 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Chlorhexidine (diluted) is fine to use for "deep cleaning" too. It's all I use- bleach is over-kill & very harsh so every bit must be rinsed away or it's toxic. I do use vinegar on water bowls, but that's not a better disinfectant, it's milder, but it also dissolves hard water deposits, & obviously it must be completely rinsed also. I generally wipe dry the cage & hides when I use chlorhexidine (after they sit about 15-20 minutes for maximum effectiveness) but for wood items (branches or tree-bark tunnels) that are porous, you can just let them dry completely after spraying them. IF you used bleach on those porous (wood) items, they'd be ruined (not safe to use) because the fumes would remain & make your pets sick.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-18-2021),EthanMG (07-18-2021),Luvyna (07-18-2021)

Thanks

Re: Quick question about Chlorhexidine

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Chlorhexidine (diluted) is fine to use for "deep cleaning" too. It's all I use- bleach is over-kill & very harsh so every bit must be rinsed away or it's toxic. I do use vinegar on water bowls, but that's not a better disinfectant, it's milder, but it also dissolves hard water deposits, & obviously it must be completely rinsed also. I generally wipe dry the cage & hides when I use chlorhexidine (after they sit about 15-20 minutes for maximum effectiveness) but for wood items (branches or tree-bark tunnels) that are porous, you can just let them dry completely after spraying them. IF you used bleach on those porous (wood) items, they'd be ruined (not safe to use) because the fumes would remain & make your pets sick.
    Thanks so much! Very clear and good info, you’re so helpful. I always value people who are always there to help others in need.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,797 Times in 11,828 Posts
    You're welcome, & btw, the only time I'd use bleach on an enclosure or furnishings (non-porous hides or bowls) is IF I had a confirmed seriously ill snake or one that passed away from unknown illness. I'd also clean such things multiple times with more than one thing before I'd ever re-use them for other animals (not ever mixing them, just using one after another) because these different disinfectants have different things they're most effective against. Bleach is quite strong & it's nasty to work with -we shouldn't be breathing it or soaking in it either & it's also hard on our environment in terms of disposal. I'd never use bleach for routine cleaning, plus it wastes a lot of water to rinse it completely away.

When I use white vinegar (generic brand is fine) on water bowls, I let them sit for about 10 minutes after scrubbing with it, & dispose of the vinegar in my toilet- incidentally, vinegar is GREAT for cleaning toilets too- without putting unnecessary chemicals into our wastewater.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-18-2021 at 11:03 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-18-2021)

Thanks

Re: Quick question about Chlorhexidine

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You're welcome, & btw, the only time I'd use bleach on an enclosure or furnishings (non-porous hides or bowls) is IF I had a confirmed seriously ill snake or one that passed away from unknown illness. I'd also clean such things multiple times with more than one thing before I'd ever re-use them for other animals (not ever mixing them, just using one after another) because these different disinfectants have different things they're most effective against. Bleach is quite strong & it's nasty to work with -we shouldn't be breathing it or soaking in it either & it's also hard on our environment in terms of disposal. I'd never use bleach for routine cleaning, plus it wastes a lot of water to rinse it completely away.

When I use white vinegar (generic brand is fine) on water bowls, I let them sit for about 10 minutes after scrubbing with it, & dispose of the vinegar in my toilet- incidentally, vinegar is GREAT for cleaning toilets too- without putting unnecessary chemicals into our wastewater.
    Ok thank you, that makes since. All I’ve got is my 1 part chlorhexidine 32 part water solution and that should be all I need for now. Glad I know that’s the case

Banned
    Thanks
    what's the shelf life on this? cause I here mix reviews, I have heard 1 week, then I have heard 1 month, so I only made half gallon & mark it with a date.
    Last edited by dee151; 07-18-2021 at 12:03 PM.