Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,029

2 members and 3,027 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Registered User obsesssedsnakemom's Avatar
    Thanks

New to breeding ASF’s! Just had some questions

New to this site and still trying to navigate so hopefully I’m doing all this right. I’m looking for more info to help with my breeding colonies.

I currently have 10 ball pythons and I went and got 4 colonies @ a 1.3 ratio. I’ve had them for 36 days and I was told they were about 4 months old when I got them. How soon will they start producing babies? Once they do start having babies, will I be able to add babies from other colonies to the same male or female grow out tubs? Or will I need to have separate tubs for each colonies grow outs? After a couple litters have been born in each colony, I plan to remove the males in each colony and leave a baby to grow and replace him so I don’t get overrun by them. Does this seem like a good idea? Thanks for your time!

Any advice on the best way to utilize this site so appreciated as well!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    They should start producing any time now, they are old enough. It may be a trickle at first, but by about 7 mos old, I would expect most the females to have birthed a litter.

ASF's are a little tricky to introduce to different colonies, so I would not combine ones of different ages. If you have a group A 4 weeks old, group B 4 weeks old, and group C 6 weeks old, you could grow out A and B together, but not C. Does that make sense? Even with the same parents, I wouldn't put 4wk olds with 8wk olds to grow out.

I would be careful removing males, because you are going to really mess up the production of your females in their prime breeding months. Are you planning on always feeding live, or do most your animals eat f/t? If you are doing f/t, you can breed up a surplus, gas and freeze at the appropriate size, and when you reach the point you no longer need as many, you can cut down to less breeding groups. I would leave 1.3 babies in with parents if litter size starts dropping off and replace all the older adults. If you are strictly feeding live, it makes things a lot more complicated to keep just the right amount breeding, but I would try and slowly replace adult groups on a cycle instead of all at the same time so at least the litters dropping off aren't all doing that at the same time.

Not sure if you are using the site on pc or mobile. If you are using mobile, you might get tapatalk app to get some nice functions that help with notifications, uploading pictures, and following threads.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

obsesssedsnakemom (07-17-2021)

Thanks

Re: New to breeding ASF’s! Just had some questions

Thank you for the information! So I only feed live as of right now but I have people and pet stores that will be purchasing the overflow I’ll have. I’ve also got a culling chamber for gassing and freezing. I think I’ll follow your instruction and keep them together and grow out another colony when the time comes. Seems to make the most sense now.

My husband and I have built a 6 level rack system and will be building another soon. Does it seem too much to do a whole other 6 level rack or will I need that many for grow outs of different ages and colonies? If I’m understanding correctly, I can keep babies from different colonies together as long as they’re put together when they’re the same age?

All of the colonies I have so far are very friendly and don’t mind me touching and petting them for a short time when I check them each day. I’ve read a lot of threads about culling biters and baby eaters. Im trying to avoid having to cull for those reasons but I know they can happen.

They’re eating Mazuri and blue seal natural 26 once a week as well as a wild bird seed mix with black oil sunflower seeds. This is all of the things the breeder I got them from fed them.

I am using my iPhone so I’ll be looking up that app to help me out if I can figure it out. Thanks again for all the help!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Yep, babies from different colonies should be fine together as long as they are put together shortly after weaning and approximately the same age. 12 tubs total should be a good number. If you are feeding at least a few young BPs and can feed off all the males by weaning, you probably don't need quite that many grow out tubs but it can't hurt to have some extra.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

obsesssedsnakemom (07-18-2021)

Thanks

Re: New to breeding ASF’s! Just had some questions

So grateful for all the info! I feel much more confident now for when the babies come

0.1 Normal (Bubbles)
    1.0 BEL bamboo/butter (Papa Legba)
    0.1 BEL bamboo/butter (Mama Legba)
    1.0 Normal (Norman)
    0.1 GHI Mojave Cinnamon (Cinnabon)
    1.0 Super Pastel Leopard her Clown (Venom)
    0.1 Leopard Super Gravel (Leopatra)
    1.0 Pastel Super Gravel (Zeus)
    0.1 Super Pastel Super Gravel (Athena)
    1.0 Stranger (Stranger)