Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,945

2 members and 2,943 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

New here and learning about genetics.

Hello everyone,
    I am excited to become owner of two ball pythons last month from a reptile expo. I acquired a male bee get clown and female pastel het clown. When we got home we did some research and found out about spider wobble, which we think our male does have slightly. We were going to breed the two but now maybe reconsidering because of this neurological condition. What would be a great match for our pastel het clown female. Would a male albino be a good match? What other morphs would you maybe recommend? Thanks all excited to hear your responses. Have a good one.

Thanks

Re: New here and learning about genetics.

If your pastel is a het clown I would recommend getting another het clown or a clown. As fire as the spider wobble, I have a bee het clown myself and a spinner and they are my best eaters and show no wobble.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Santiago6621 For This Useful Post:

JJpeep (07-16-2021),nikkubus (07-17-2021)

Thanks

You know what is funny. He eats really well too. Our female is the one who only ate one time for us. He is a little pig compared to her. He shows it very slightly, but enough for us to notice. I just read that some people think it is unethical to breed them because of the wobble gene.

Thank you for the reply by the way.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,909 Times in 840 Posts
    For the het clown: Anything clown or het clown is your best bet. If it's an albino het clown? Awesome. That's all babies het for albino and you get a 25% chance one being a clown as well. Without the clown gene in the male, only 1/2 the babies will carry the clown gene as a het and you won't really be able to tell which ones reliably.

For the spider:
    One other thing you should also be aware of with spider gene...Don't breed spider to spider or champagne. These genes are considered lethal when trying to breed them together. The egg typically dies in incubation, but will sometimes hatch a baby who won't live long. It's like breeding 2 manx cats together.
    It's definitely one of those dividing opinions in the hobby. But spider is not the only gene that produces a wobble, it's just the most prominent. There's also still many people breeding super butters or lessers even though they can cause eye defects. Or Super black pastels even though it can cause facial deformities or kinks. Or there's still some people producing the lemon frost leopard geckos, which caused tumors.

I feel like breeders working with spider gene should be open about discussing the wobble when selling any animal with the gene but feel that any animal with a consistent wobble should be removed from any breeding programs. If BPs were an arboreal species I would would probably be against continuing the spider morph in lines as that would be a much greater issue with the livelyhood of the animal.
    My spider only showed her wobble the first 2 weeks I had her. No issues with it since. And even when she DID show the wobble, it was only a slight head bobble when she went into defensive strike mode. I'm hoping that maybe now with more knowledge about the gene, outcrossing more and breeders avoiding spiders with visible wobble the issue will become less prominent, but only time will tell.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 07-17-2021 at 01:15 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

JJpeep (07-17-2021),nikkubus (07-17-2021)

Thanks

Thank you so much. Our bee get clown male has a slight wobble. I noticed it a few weeks after he came home. He too looks like it shows more when he is backing up or ready to eat. I am hoping his lessens and doesn't worsen with time. He really is a pretty snake.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JJpeep View Post
    Thank you so much. Our bee get clown male has a slight wobble. I noticed it a few weeks after he came home. He too looks like it shows more when he is backing up or ready to eat. I am hoping his lessens and doesn't worsen with time. He really is a pretty snake.
    My spinner girl only shows her wobble when you take her out her tub. I've had her for about 3 yrs now its never gotten worse and she's always been my best eater. Nerd has a video on YouTube about spider gene it's pretty good

Thanks

That's good to hear. Hope our guy doesn't get any worse. I'll have to check out NERD's video. May be helpful.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JJpeep View Post
    That's good to hear. Hope our guy doesn't get any worse. I'll have to check out NERD's video. May be helpful.
    Just realized I have a spider hatchling I hatched out a few weeks ago, he just took his 3rd straight meal. He's one of the btr eaters out of the 11 that I hatched

Last edited by Santiago6621; 07-17-2021 at 01:39 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Santiago6621 For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (07-17-2021)

Thanks

Cool Re: New here and learning about genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Santiago6621 View Post
    Just realized I have a spider hatchling I hatched out a few weeks ago, he just took his 3rd straight meal. He's one of the btr eaters out of the 11 that I hatched

That is awesome. Sure is a beautiful snake. Happy to hear he is a good eater.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I think breeding spider is absolutely fine as long as you are careful what you breed it with, and prepared to keep a baby as a pet IF you get a hatchling that happens to have a severe case of wobble, and of course disclosing possible wobble issues properly to buyers.

I absolutely adore my spiders, and I've never experienced a severe wobble problem.

Things to avoid breeding with spider are sable, champagne, woma, and hidden gene woma. Blackhead + spider doesn't have problems, but I would avoid it because they cancel each other out and don't give an appealing look. Spider + spider is not good either because you will get 25% of your eggs that fail to hatch or the hatchling will die almost immediately after birth.

Albino isn't something I would invest in unless you just happen to really like it. For the trouble of dealing with a recessive, it's just not worth the small amount you get for selling them. Some similar looking recessive morphs that sell better are Lavender Albino, Candy, and Ultramel. Banana or Coral Glow are incomplete dominant, look similar to Albino, and sell extremely well, so even better. Doing a double recessive project as a beginner is not a good idea in the first place, so Banana or Coral Glow would be much better to work with Clown in the project.

If it were me, spider or not, I probably wouldn't breed that male with that female. Picking up a male with a lot of morphs to get really good results is a better idea, and using cheap females with just a couple of genes. If you could save up for and find a male Banana/CG Enchi Clown maybe with a few other morphs, that would be a great idea.

Banana Enchi Clown x Pastel het Clown:
    1/16 Banana Enchi Pastel Clown
    1/16 Banana Enchi Clown
    1/16 Banana Pastel Clown
    1/16 Enchi Pastel Clown
    1/16 Banana Clown
    1/16 Enchi Clown
    1/16 Pastel Clown
    1/16 Clown
    1/16 Banana Enchi Pastel het Clown
    1/16 Banana Enchi het Clown
    1/16 Banana Pastel het Clown
    1/16 Enchi Pastel het Clown
    1/16 Banana het Clown
    1/16 Enchi het Clown
    1/16 Pastel het Clown
    1/16 Normal het Clown

and you could potentially breed that same expensive male to up to 6 females in the same season!
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (07-18-2021),JJpeep (07-17-2021)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast