Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,021

3 members and 2,018 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Mental groove open?

Today, I noticed 1 of my BPs roaming during the day, which has never happened before with any of my BPs. I took her and inspected her and I noticed two things: a piece of stuck shed near her chin, which I have removed by soaking in water and gently let the snake's head slither through paper towel, but it is the other thing that caught my attention. I saw her mental groove (the line along her chin) being open, it is more like a very sharp ellipse rather than a straight line. Is this normal or caused by something else? Please advise.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,789 Times in 11,825 Posts
    Not sure, but I'll take a wild guess: since she recently shed & needed a little help, she might still be a little dehydrated. I say this also because what you describe reminds me of the "tenting" of human skin when that person is either dehydrated or old. What I'm suggesting is that she underwent some tugging on various parts of her body while shedding, & if somewhat dehydrated, her skin has been a little slow to fully "return", to tighten up as it was.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

JAGpenguin (07-14-2021)

Thanks
    After really thinking about what's different with her compared to the other BPs, I think I might have figured it out. The BP in question is BP2, the one who used to be overweight, but now in perfect shape, triangular and no sudden taper from the cloaca to the tail thanks to the advice from you guys .

But now that she has grown, she is now my biggest snake. I however, for the last few weeks, had been feeding her rats at 30 grams even though she was around 350 grams after pooping (approaching 400 grams with food inside) to maintain that body proportion. One thing I noticed though was that, after just 1 day since feeding day, this BP would roam endlessly at night (not during the day) and she kept trying to reach the top of the terra and rubbing her chin against the screen top for hours at night, while the other snakes would just chill in their hide sometimes for 2-3 days after feeding. It couldnt be husbandry because every BP has the same model of terra, substrate, hides, and in the same snake room, therefore same temp and humidity. Yet she was the only one behaving like this. To stop this endless roaming at night, I tried giving her a bigger meal last week and the endless roaming at night had stopped.

So I am thinking, maybe that stuck shed on her chin was not stuck shed at all but rather the outer layer of her scale getting rubbed off from her rubbing her chin against the screen top, and this would explain the ellipse mental groove too, maybe the scales surrounding the mental groove were pushed aside from the constant rubbing of her chin against the screen top. Her last shed was 2-3 weeks ago and it was one solid piece. So it was weird to find stuck shed weeks after a perfect shed. This is my best guess. I also checked the inside of her mouth to see if anything was wrong, but nothing.

Right now she is at about 400 grams with a couple rats in her, and I am going to try to give her 40-50 gram rats weekly, instead of 30 grams that I used to give. Give it a few weeks, and check back on her mental groove (considering that she, from now on, will stop rubbing her chin against the screen top because of hunger). I think this time it really is time to upsize the meal
    Last edited by JAGpenguin; 07-14-2021 at 03:21 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JAGpenguin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-14-2021)

Thanks
    Note on the previous overweight issue:
    DOB was December 2020
    May 29, I started a thread about BP2 being overweight at 350 grams without food, body had a D shape, sudden taper from cloaca to tail, and would only strike prey with her neck instead of her whole body.
    July 14, She is still 350 grams without food but now with the right body proportion after following diet advice from forum members. Body is triangular, no sudden taper from cloaca to tail. I am going to up her meal size to 40-50 grams weekly so she would stop trying to escape and rub her chin against screen top.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JAGpenguin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-14-2021)