Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,144

2 members and 3,142 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Regurgitation?

Thanks

Question Regurgitation?

I fed a small live rat to my adult male ball python. 4 days later when I next went to check on him I noticed that the rat reappeared. It looked partially digested so at first I thought maybe it was improperly digested poop, but I don’t actually know. He’s usually fed small frozen/thawed rats but I gave him live this time because my frozen supply ran out. I saw him strike and then eat it and he seemed just fine. Any ideas about what may have happened? Should I be concerned for his health?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BOM...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Was he handled at all after he was fed? Was his "privacy" to digest interrupted at all?

Have you double-checked his temperatures to make sure he was warm enough to digest? What are the high & low temps. in his enclosure? Any power failures?

BTW- if it's a regurge, it will typically smell bad enough to make you feel like joining in. And yes, this appears to me to be a regurge, just from your photo.

How long have you had this BP? Any other snakes? Any new ones?

A regurgitation is always a potential "health concern" but it's too early to tell if this is a "one-off" or an real issue- it also depends on your answers to above questions.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Maaarble (07-12-2021)

Thanks

Re: Regurgitation?

I watched him while the rat was still alive then left him alone to swallow in peace once I was sure it was dead. I checked in briefly maybe half an hour later to confirm that he'd finished and he seemed fine. It's the first time I've fed him live but I know that's what he was given before I got him.

I've had Simon for 4 years and two other ball pythons for 3 years. Their thermostats are set to turn off at 98F and as far as I know there haven't been any power outages. I didn't notice a smell from the dead rat but I don't have a great sense of smell to begin with.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maaarble View Post
    I watched him while the rat was still alive then left him alone to swallow in peace once I was sure it was dead. I checked in briefly maybe half an hour later to confirm that he'd finished and he seemed fine. It's the first time I've fed him live but I know that's what he was given before I got him.

I've had Simon for 4 years and two other ball pythons for 3 years. Their thermostats are set to turn off at 98F and as far as I know there haven't been any power outages. I didn't notice a smell from the dead rat but I don't have a great sense of smell to begin with.
    You need to check -immediately!- what the temps are in your snakes' enclosures where the heat is located- specifically, INSIDE the enclosure, under a warm-side hide or wherever the temps. are the highest. 98* is TOO HOT. Many snakes (BPs especially) get burned when in contact with surface temps over 90*- seemingly they don't realize the harm until it's too late, but in your case, your snake MIGHT have realized it's too hot & therefore avoided the warm areas...but then was too chilly to digest well- hence the regurgitation.

Note- you cannot rely on what a t-stat is set to- you need to double check what the actual temps are INSIDE the enclosure where the snake can touch (underneath substrate also, because they often push it aside) with an IR/laser temp gun or other accurate thermometer.

This time of year, most of us use A/C for our own comfort, so it's essential that you adjust the temps. provided for all your snakes to be sure they have the proper & SAFE range of warmth. BPs need about 78* lowest & 88-90* warmest, with matching hides on each side so they aren't "forced" to choose their sense of security over the temperatures they require to digest & function.

The only way a regurgitated rat might not smell really gross is if it was left to dehydrate under the warmest part of the cage, but it takes days to become that dry. I know of no one that cannot smell a regurgitated rodent, so perhaps this actually is funky stool? Stool doesn't smell good either but a regurge is THE worst, & either way, it's not a good thing (judging from the appearance shown in your photo).
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-12-2021 at 07:48 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-12-2021),GoingPostal (07-13-2021),Maaarble (07-12-2021)

Thanks

It probably was regurgitated and dried out over the few days I hadn't checked on him. His enclosure is the one in the middle and it has hides on both sides as well as a large tube hide in-between. I'll decrease the thermostat to 90*F.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maaarble View Post
    ... I'll decrease the thermostat to 90*F...
    But, be sure to check what the inside temps actually are- the heat builds up, especially with enclosures that aren't tall. T-stats only tell you what they're TRYING to do, NOT what they're actually achieving. I know you want your s to be safe...

BTW, using these tubs w/ minimal air-flow (as is common with BPs) would also explain why you didn't notice the awful regurge smell.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-12-2021 at 08:59 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-13-2021),GoingPostal (07-13-2021),Maaarble (07-12-2021)