Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,072

1 members and 3,071 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Re: Is this plastic tube big enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    I've found the heat from the CHE will heat up the lid and the air in the enclosure with no issue. As far as air holes, I've always used a wire clothes hanger. Cut the bottom of it with a pair of tin snips or wire cutters, and then just heat it up with a candle or something similar, obviously exercise a lot of caution here as everything will be hot, then just push through the sides or top to create your holes. This works a lot better than a screw driver because your pressure point, the end of the wire hanger, is much smaller and doesn't require as much heat or force to penetrate the plastic.

Just be careful, it's easy to hurt yourself.

Edit to add: Just to be clear, and I know I may not need to say it but just to say I did, as with any other enclosure, that Q set up with a tub runs for a week or so before anything goes in it. Still needs a thermostat and thermometer and hydrometer, same process as setting up a new PVC or glass enclosure.
    Way ahead of ya. I've essentially got an entire second set of equipment (heating elements, 'stats and dual 'meters) for the express purpose of being able to run a setup to test for a week while he's still in his original enclosure plus the heat gun I already have for more manual monitoring.

Another thing is finding a piece of furniture for the tub itself to sit on. I'll have to find one eventually anyway for the eventual PVC.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (07-22-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,487 Times in 2,686 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Upon further study, a CHE will be mandatory. Ambient temperature is around 70 here in the basement where he lives, and it will only get colder going into winter. Rather curious that there isn't even a hole cut out of the lid in the image though, the heat is strong enough to go right through it without melting?

Also I've had trouble making air holes in the sides of the tub yesterday. Tried using the heated head of a glue gun and heating a screwdriver to melt open openings but neither made so much as a dent. I figure I'm either going to get a soldering iron or try a method I saw on YT where a metal pipe was put over an open fire and pushed through the plastic to make holes. Probably the former since I need to go to the store to get more heat-resistant tape anyway.
    I’ve always used a drill to make ventilation holes in tubs.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

4. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (07-22-2021)

Thanks

Got a soldering iron and made a row of holes along the whole tub. Is that enough ventilation?

As an aside, I love the thing already. Going to be very useful later if I need to, say, make more hides out of plastic containers and I can now make smooth holes instead of jagged edges like what I had to deal with before when cutting with scissors or knives.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Here's how it's looking so far. Nothing's plugged in yet but I've got everything mostly set up. Unfortunately I flubbed and forgot to place the thermostat probe for the UTH between it and the tub. After I already added all the substrate. Sigh... Needless to say I'm taking a little break to quell frustration after that.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Fixed the probe issue, added wood shimmies on either end of the tub to lift it off the table just enough to allow heat to dissipate from the UTH and got everything plugged in and set on thermostats. Let's see what happens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12