Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,929

3 members and 2,926 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: ASF for sale in Louisiana?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBayouReptiles View Post
    Yea the grow out period is definitely longer, so thats the major drawback. What made me want to chase em down was the fact that starting out the breeding Ill be using a spare room in my house. ASF smell is way less to deal with than normal rats which for me is a major plus. I can deal with slower grow through smarter planning and colony control. They also eat and drink less aggressively than normal rats which could lend to a cheaper food bill.

As for the size comparisons,regular rats do have that in their favor. However, the protein transfer is much higher with asf,making it nonessential to rely on bodily size for feeders since theyre more nutritious. Add in that the ASF is the natural prey for BP and will more likely encourage reliable feeding, and for me it was definitely the way I wanted to lean.

So once you get your colony numbers established and planned youre breeding rats that stink less, mess less, eat/drink less while being better food all around and reduce the chance for going off feed. Ill have to do some restructuring if I cant find em, but man I hope I do.
    I use to feed a few of my bp asf and it seemed feeding response was the same as rats with my other bp

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Santiago6621 For This Useful Post:

BlackBayouReptiles (07-11-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Just in case you end up finding them, I figured I'd give you a few tips I learned through trial and error. I can't own them here in CA, but when I lived in Denver I bred them for years.

They breed much better in groups of 1.3-5 vs 1.1-2, and swapping out males like you can with mice/rats doesn't usually work, you want to keep the males in with his females at all times. When your males or females are getting older and close to needing replaced, you should just grow up a babies produced by that colony with them the whole time. 1.1 would almost always cannibalize young, perhaps because they were failing to thrive because not enough moms to feed the babies on the right cycle. Given this very different way they breed and raise young, you need to plan how you house them differently and carefully plan ahead to get the right numbers because it's not so easy to just not provide a male to knock up the females if you have too many and put him back later.

Best of luck finding them.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

Registered User BlackBayouReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    Just in case you end up finding them, I figured I'd give you a few tips I learned through trial and error. I can't own them here in CA, but when I lived in Denver I bred them for years.

They breed much better in groups of 1.3-5 vs 1.1-2, and swapping out males like you can with mice/rats doesn't usually work, you want to keep the males in with his females at all times. When your males or females are getting older and close to needing replaced, you should just grow up a babies produced by that colony with them the whole time. 1.1 would almost always cannibalize young, perhaps because they were failing to thrive because not enough moms to feed the babies on the right cycle. Given this very different way they breed and raise young, you need to plan how you house them differently and carefully plan ahead to get the right numbers because it's not so easy to just not provide a male to knock up the females if you have too many and put him back later.

Best of luck finding them.
    Gotcha,much appreciated. Anything at this phase helps,particularly coming from a direct experience perspective. Even if Im forced to go with normals for the time being, Ill just be glad to get up and going overall. It was roughly a year ago that I started exploring the idea of breeding BP, did the research, and saved up for the equipment. I just got my snake rack in from ARS last week, incubator arrived today and rat rack is on order so at this point Im just anxious to get rolling. At 43 years old, I didnt think Id get this excited for anything but Im like a kid in a candy store right now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBayouReptiles View Post
    Gotcha,much appreciated. Anything at this phase helps,particularly coming from a direct experience perspective. Even if Im forced to go with normals for the time being, Ill just be glad to get up and going overall. It was roughly a year ago that I started exploring the idea of breeding BP, did the research, and saved up for the equipment. I just got my snake rack in from ARS last week, incubator arrived today and rat rack is on order so at this point Im just anxious to get rolling. At 43 years old, I didnt think Id get this excited for anything but Im like a kid in a candy store right now.
    It's so exciting after a long time planning to finally get things rolling for sure. Starting out with ARS from the beginning is going to make things really nice!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    They added ASF to Lacey? No wonder they are near impossible to find. Wasn't the big snake ban most recent ruling sufficient enough to decide they cannot prohibit interstate trade, only international trade with Lacey? CITES would be very different, and I know for a fact they can ban interstate travel for CITES.

You cannot ship live mammals via USPS/UPS/FEDEX though. You would need to use something like Delta Dash, which afaik is still suspended because of covid.

Either way, I would strongly reconsider breeding and feeding them if they made it on Lacey. If your colony gets wiped out for any reason, then you have however many BPs only wanting to eat something near impossible to find. Breed rats and gas/freeze them at the appropriate size.

Lacey Act has no control over interstate travel or trade. You think Snake people would remember all the work they did an the court cases.

USARK vs Jewell (Zinke) Court Ruling

"The D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed a ruling in 2017 in
    favor of the U.S. Association of Reptile Keepers (USARK), lifting
    restrictions on interstate commerce of injurious species listed
    under the Lacey Act. The ruling restricts USFWS from regulating
    interstate transport of any injurious species. USFWS, however,
    will continue to have authority to regulate international transport
    of injurious species into the U.S. as well as between the
    jurisdictions expressly named in the shipment clause of the Lacey
    Act (the contiguous U.S., District of Columbia, Hawaii, and
    Puerto Rico). The final ruling took effect on May 31, 2017."
    Last edited by 303_enfield; 07-12-2021 at 11:14 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (07-13-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    Lacey Act has no control over interstate travel or trade. You think Snake people would remember all the work they did an the court cases.

USARK vs Jewell (Zinke) Court Ruling

"The D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed a ruling in 2017 in
    favor of the U.S. Association of Reptile Keepers (USARK), lifting
    restrictions on interstate commerce of injurious species listed
    under the Lacey Act. The ruling restricts USFWS from regulating
    interstate transport of any injurious species. USFWS, however,
    will continue to have authority to regulate international transport
    of injurious species into the U.S. as well as between the
    jurisdictions expressly named in the shipment clause of the Lacey
    Act (the contiguous U.S., District of Columbia, Hawaii, and
    Puerto Rico). The final ruling took effect on May 31, 2017."
    That's what I thought. Thank you for confirming!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I'm in the Baton Rouge area, and just wanted to say that I would buy feeders from you (if you had extra) but I prefer to feed F/T, and idk if you'd be setting up a gas chamber etc. I only have three snakes, so its hard for me to order in bulk and I dont like supporting Petco/etc. very much.
    Last edited by Deanna; 07-14-2021 at 10:38 AM.
    Maxine & Luther - dogs
    Carlisle-male normal ball python (12ish years old)
    Travis-male normal blood python (1.5 years old)
    Alexis-female citrus bearded dragon
    Heather- adult zebra stripe knee tarantula (a. seemanni)
    Three-juvenile Mexican red leg T (b. boehmei)
    Steve Carell-adult curly hair T (b. albopilosum)

Registered User BlackBayouReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
    I'm in the Baton Rouge area, and just wanted to say that I would buy feeders from you (if you had extra) but I prefer to feed F/T, and idk if you'd be setting up a gas chamber etc. I only have three snakes, so its hard for me to order in bulk and I dont like supporting Petco/etc. very much.
    Hey Deanna,
    Thanks,much appreciated. Yes I will be setting up the gas works and at some point could sell F/T. Im only starting out with 3 BP myself so its inevitable that I will begin to have extra on hand that I already planned on freezing for later use. Im also located just outside of Baton Rouge, so it would be very convenient as well it sounds. Im with you on the chain stores,Id rather support local business.

Ill keep you posted, but just being realistic its going to be a bit. Once I have the ASF onsite ( i actually found a source) it takes roughly 3 months to grow them out and so forth. Im not sure what size your snakes are and thus what they would require.

Anyway,thanks again,glad to hear and nice to meet you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12