Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,830

2 members and 2,828 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User BlackBayouReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

ASF for sale in Louisiana?

I recently started gearing up to breed ball pythons and decided to raise ASF rats as feeders to lower the food cost. I gave no thought to their potential availability at first,assuming that they would be readily available. I have looked all over,finding noone in Louisiana that has or sells ASf rats.

My first question obviously is does anyone know of a source in the state to obtain them from? This also makes me wonder if its legal to breed them in this state.

If anyone has any info on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    As far as I could find, there isn't anything in LA preventing legal ownership or breeding of them.

There are some suggestions here how to find a breeder https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...s-in-Louisiana

Depending where in LA you are located, it may be worth to check neighboring states.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

BlackBayouReptiles (07-11-2021)

Thanks

Re: ASF for sale in Louisiana?

Right on,appreciated.

I used morph markets breeder location tool and went through a ton of breeders that either didnt carry them, had to forfeit due to incoming legislature, or were just out of business. I actually was open to driving a few hours away to get some and could not find anyone within a 5 hour drive.

Whats insane is their availability given how many people recommend them, unless I just stumbled onto the minority of people who deal with them..the one thing I never expected. Ill get some eventually,but in the meantime just searching the best I can.

Thanks

Idk if my rat person will ship but she has asf rats in chicago. Her store name is cef pets. I use to feed my bp as rats but honestly they take longer to grow and don't grow as big as your standard rat

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Santiago6621 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Santiago6621 View Post
    Idk if my rat person will ship but she has asf rats in chicago. Her store name is cef pets. I use to feed my bp as rats but honestly they take longer to grow and don't grow as big as your standard rat

Live ASF can’t legally cross state lines. Frozen I believe is okay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 07-11-2021 at 12:53 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    ASF can’t legally cross state lines

I did not know that.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I raise ASF an rats. For the time an money rats out perform ASF all day long. ASF grow slow, very slow like a rat will be at 100g while the ASF is at 25g or less.

You can buy a prego rat to start with from an old school pet shop that keeps the males an females together.

If you come up to MD, I'll give you a ASF starter colony (1m/3F). I still keep ASF but the rats are taking over.

Good luck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post

If you come up to MD, I'll give you a ASF starter colony (1m/3F)
    OP is in Louisiana. Crossing state lines with live ASF is a Lacey Act violation punishable by a fine of up to $10,000 and/or 1yr imprisonment. Suggesting such actions is also a violation of the TOS of these forums

Last edited by jmcrook; 07-11-2021 at 06:35 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-14-2021),nikkubus (07-11-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    OP is in Louisiana. Crossing state lines with live ASF is a Lacey Act violation punishable by a fine of up to $10,000 and/or 1yr imprisonment. Suggesting such actions is also a violation of the TOS of these forums

They added ASF to Lacey? No wonder they are near impossible to find. Wasn't the big snake ban most recent ruling sufficient enough to decide they cannot prohibit interstate trade, only international trade with Lacey? CITES would be very different, and I know for a fact they can ban interstate travel for CITES.

You cannot ship live mammals via USPS/UPS/FEDEX though. You would need to use something like Delta Dash, which afaik is still suspended because of covid.

Either way, I would strongly reconsider breeding and feeding them if they made it on Lacey. If your colony gets wiped out for any reason, then you have however many BPs only wanting to eat something near impossible to find. Breed rats and gas/freeze them at the appropriate size.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Santiago6621 View Post

Yea the grow out period is definitely longer, so thats the major drawback. What made me want to chase em down was the fact that starting out the breeding Ill be using a spare room in my house. ASF smell is way less to deal with than normal rats which for me is a major plus. I can deal with slower grow through smarter planning and colony control. They also eat and drink less aggressively than normal rats which could lend to a cheaper food bill.

As for the size comparisons,regular rats do have that in their favor. However, the protein transfer is much higher with asf,making it nonessential to rely on bodily size for feeders since theyre more nutritious. Add in that the ASF is the natural prey for BP and will more likely encourage reliable feeding, and for me it was definitely the way I wanted to lean.

So once you get your colony numbers established and planned youre breeding rats that stink less, mess less, eat/drink less while being better food all around and reduce the chance for going off feed. Ill have to do some restructuring if I cant find em, but man I hope I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast