Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,432

0 members and 1,432 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

B.P skin "Bubble"

as i was handling my B.P today after cleaning its cage i noticed what looked like a large Pea sized bubble on her skin, i touched it lightly and it was soft like a blister a person might get on their foot..she did not Flinch or anything when i touched it as if she was in any kind of pain, but still its something i am very concerned about, has any other B.P owner come across something like this on any of the B.P's they have owned?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Picture would help. Possible a burn depending where it's located? Is it translucent like a blister is?
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-11-2021)

Thanks

Re: B.P skin "Bubble"

its a bubble that sticks out on the side of its skin, about 2 inches or so from her head, its real soft, no discolring of skin, and like i said, it doesn't seem to bother her, but snakes cant say ouch either, i do have a under the tank heating pad that is mounted outside the tank on the side glass but from the inside when you touch the glass its just barely a little warm....

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    First- do NOT pop the bubble. As with any blister, doing so allows bacteria into the wound that can make for a worse infection.

A vet visit would be the best idea right now, though you could wait & see IF any more blisters appear (that would indicate a systemic infection & potentially a worse outcome).

Understand, we aren't SEEING this, nor are we here to take the place of actual medical care for yours or any pet. None of us have a "crystal ball" to foresee the future as to whether it's safe to wait or not. This could be an isolated skin issue, or maybe not. From the placement, it doesn't sound to me like it's a "burn", but that's just a guess.

Also, any infection near a snake's head may be more dangerous than one further away on the body, like on the tail. Best to get it looked at by a good qualified herp vet.

This may help if you don't have one already: http://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-11-2021),nikkubus (07-11-2021)

Thanks

I tried the online vet thing and they recommend seeing a vet to, in the mean time they said I could put some Neosporin on it 2x per day, I don't know about that idea

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas S View Post
    I tried the online vet thing and they recommend seeing a vet to, in the mean time they said I could put some Neosporin on it 2x per day, I don't know about that idea
    No...it would be best to use Vetericyn ointment for snakes/reptiles if you want to use something topically (it's MADE for snakes so it's water-based & it won't mess up sheds the way Neosporin or any other petroleum-jelly-based ointments will that are made for human use).

BUT the use of any topical antiseptic will likely have NO effect on this blister anyway, because the skin isn't broken, so the medication cannot get to the underlying issue. You are advised to see a vet IN PERSON with this snake, both by me & now by your online consultation. Bear in mind that neither of us have actually SEEN your snake-that can make all the difference. Again, DO NOT break the skin to apply something either- leave it for the vet to evaluate & treat in person.

Blisters like this in snakes can sometimes indicate something more serious to come (a systemic infection)- unlike what we typically see in human situations (where a blister is often no big deal), & it would be best to act promptly so it doesn't become something that spreads & becomes serious.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-13-2021 at 06:30 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-14-2021)

Thanks
    It just went away by itself, got lucky for now

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas S View Post
    It just went away by itself, got lucky for now
    I should say so. Thanks for the update.