Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,951

1 members and 2,950 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

RHP outgassing dangerous to snakes?

I ordered three new enclosures from Dragonhaus with RHP's that the maker sold with his cages. One of them has a massive plastic fume coming from it, which I've confirmed is the RHP... For some reason, the other two are fine and the smell is minimal.

I've googled and found that some people need to "outgas" their new RHP's, which I've never heard of :\ I've been having it on for around 24 hours so far, and the smell is still quite strong if I keep the enclosure doors closed after awhile.

I should mention that I have a few other RHP's which have never had this problem before...

Anyone have experience with this and how long you have to "outgas" for? Also, what exactly the smell is?
    Last edited by redshepherd; 07-09-2021 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

RHP outgassing dangerous to snakes?

Welcome back, stranger.

What RHPs does dragonhaus use? My Herptastic cages came with VE 80watt panels and I let them burn in at full power for an afternoon or so in my living room before I installed them.

I use Lexel sealant which is a bit stinky too before fully cured and the RHPs contributed to it for a short period. Maybe a day or two? I can’t remember. RBI/VE panels state that there is a release agent used in the injection molding process that is responsible for the smell when breaking in a new RHPs.

Regardless, all of my VE and Pro-Products RHPs all needed a bit of burn in time before losing their smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 07-10-2021 at 12:59 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (07-10-2021),Reinz (07-10-2021)

Thanks

Re: RHP outgassing dangerous to snakes?

I don't know about RHPs by other brands, but if it's a VE, the fumes are definitely bad for snakes (and for humans as well!).

I had the same problem as you - had a new fully installed enclosure that reeked when the RHP was on and I wouldn't dream of putting my snake in there - the fumes gave me a massive headache.

I tried to outgas the RHP in my house for a few more days before I gave up because it just wasn't getting rid of the smell. I unscrewed the top panel of the enclosure with the RHP attached and took it outside to let it burn for about 72 hours to get rid of the smell.

I recommend wiping down the RHP with a damp cloth and taking it outside to let it burn on full blast for at least that amount of time before reinstalling it, possibly longer if needed or if you aren't able to remove the RHP from the enclosure.

I made a thread about the same topic here and a number of people made helpful comments that you can look at if it helps.
    Last edited by Luvyna; 07-10-2021 at 05:01 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    My experience with VE and Pro Products mirrored JM’s for 8 cages.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (07-10-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    ........What RHPs does dragonhaus use? My Herptastic cages came with VE 80watt panels and I let them burn in at full power for an afternoon or so in my living room before I installed them..........Regardless, all of my VE and Pro-Products RHPs all needed a bit of burn in time before losing their smell.

I have 2 VE RHP's wait for the enclosures to show up.... So to Burn them in, Lay Face up and plug directly into outlet Correct?

and I can do this in the garage so no fumes get to me or the snakes if it's a bad smell

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    I have 2 VE RHP's wait for the enclosures to show up.... So to Burn them in, Lay Face up and plug directly into outlet Correct?

and I can do this in the garage so no fumes get to me or the snakes if it's a bad smell
    Yes this sounds right, I'd recommend doing it in a covered area outdoors for 48-72 hours if possible since there is more airflow and the fumes can be pretty strong

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-10-2021),Gocntry (07-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    So to Burn them in, Lay Face up and plug directly into outlet Correct?
    Yes. Just read and follow there directions that came with the panel.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gocntry (07-10-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Yes. Just read and follow there directions that came with the panel.

Guess I should open the box and look in there DOH!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Hello and thanks for the replies guys!!

Hmm, that's what I'm seeing too that they'll need to be outgassed on full power for a couple days. It's been four days for me so far, and it's still producing very strong fumes especially in an enclosed space. I also did wipe mine down as well! I noticed that the smell came off on my hands/the paper towels initially when I wiped and smelled LOL

The RHP that Dragonhaus sends are these things: https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog...6.aspx?pa=3445

And the weirdest thing is that two of the other ones I have aren't producing nearly as strong of a smell, at least nothing so noticeable. Just one keeps producing strong fumes.

Does anyone know if these fumes are actually dangerous to people/the snakes?
    Last edited by redshepherd; 07-12-2021 at 07:14 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Hello and thanks for the replies guys!!

Hmm, that's what I'm seeing too that they'll need to be outgassed on full power for a couple days. It's been four days for me so far, and it's still producing very strong fumes especially in an enclosed space. I also did wipe mine down as well! I noticed that the smell came off on my hands/the paper towels initially when I wiped and smelled LOL

The RHP that Dragonhaus sends are these things: https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog...6.aspx?pa=3445

And the weirdest thing is that two of the other ones I have aren't producing nearly as strong of a smell, at least nothing so noticeable. Just one keeps producing strong fumes.

Does anyone know if these fumes are actually dangerous to people/the snakes?
    A quote right from that website:

"The ODOR that is noted on a new heater is from the escalated final dry-ing of the lens material (fiberglass and adhesives) as the heat is applied. The odor is normal and will go away in a day or so as the new materials dry out."

Pretty sure that kind of odor is Not good for you or the animals in an enclosed space

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (07-12-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast