Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,272

0 members and 1,272 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Cool Rack ideas for big snakes?

So, I'm looking to buy the DragonHaus 41 quart rack for majority of my snakes including my ball pythons, colubrids and boas.
    But there is such a huge debate on how much space is good. I'd really like to get large snakes like cribos, womas, bullsnakes etc but I dont think 6-8 foot snakes would do good in that kinda rack. Maaaaybe 6 foot but I dont know. What i really liked about Dragonhaus is they are pretty inexpensive but unfortunately it doesnt look like they offer bigger racks. I've tried looking all over but cant seem to find a rack that's a bang for your buck. I've tried making a rack myself by buying a shelf and tried to modify it but I'm just not good at that and my family doesnt exactly understand enough to help. So unfortunately I have to turn to buy. I dont mind spending 450+ but is there really ANY rack that's worth it? Worth it as in, more tubs per level etc. For large snakes. I've looked at snake discovery and their tubs but I just cant find what they use for their bullsnakes. I think its homemade.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    The problem is finding tubs with the right dimensions economically. ARS or Freedom Breeder are probably the best source for those for ones that don't waste a lot of vertical space for terrestrial snakes. There used to be a few companies that made economy racks with the tubs made by ARS/FB, but I think covid knocked them all out of business as far as I'm aware. You might have to save up money to get a rack from ARS/FB, or buy the tools and learn how to make your own and just get tubs from them. I think in the long run, ARS/FB racks are well worth the money because they last a lot longer, but they are a very pricey investment.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    There are companies that make racks for the VE175 Christmas Tree tubs. They aren't all that cheap and I think due to the tub's height you only get four tubs max in a rack.

BoaMaster makes a melamine rack for 74-qt under-bed tubs. Again, not cheap and it'll be heavy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (07-08-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Re: Rack ideas for big snakes?

As mentioned upthread, the best options for large, terrestrial snakes if you're going with a rack are probably going to be Freedom Breeder or ARS. Snake Discovery uses ARS for their bull snakes. Reptile Rapture, a well known reptile shop in Madison, WI uses Freedom Breeder. Both Snake Discovery and Reptile Rapture have YouTube videos explaining their racks and why they chose them. Either option is a substantial investment - $$$. We personally have one of the larger Freedom Breeder racks, 9 tubs total, for our ball pythons, and paid about 2 grand with shipping. Sometimes you can find used ones on FB or Craigslist, but because they're so well made, they don't depreciate in value much.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie