Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,362

3 members and 3,359 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Banana what?

Thanks

Banana what?

I do not have this ball python yet and have not been able to get better pictures. If I’m able to get any better pictures I will re post them. I was told he is a super banana super stripe, but I don’t think it’s likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    It's very difficult to see in this photo but I can make out just the tiniest bit of side pattern in the lower part of the picture and I don't think it's a super stripe. May very well be super banana. A super stripe wouldn't have a well formed side pattern high and tight to the dorsal anywhere on the body though, even when the colors are difficult to make it out. Instead, the pattern would be sort of washed into speckled mush away from the dorsal. Depending what the guy is charging it may be worth the gamble, it may not be.

A super banana super stripe would look pretty similar though to what you are seeing in the poor photo without enough definition and light to see the side pattern.

Here is an example of someone's banana superstripe, and imagine that with less contrast between the colors and you have a super banana super stripe.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

Thanks

Re: Banana what?

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    It's very difficult to see in this photo but I can make out just the tiniest bit of side pattern in the lower part of the picture and I don't think it's a super stripe. May very well be super banana. A super stripe wouldn't have a well formed side pattern high and tight to the dorsal anywhere on the body though, even when the colors are difficult to make it out. Instead, the pattern would be sort of washed into speckled mush away from the dorsal. Depending what the guy is charging it may be worth the gamble, it may not be.

A super banana super stripe would look pretty similar though to what you are seeing in the poor photo without enough definition and light to see the side pattern.

Here is an example of someone's banana superstripe, and imagine that with less contrast between the colors and you have a super banana super stripe.
    I definitely see what you mean. I was able to get a slightly better picture and I can now see more of a pattern. What do you think?

Thanks
    The lines between the pattern are really thin. Like maybe pinstripe in there? Probably pastel as pale as he is, even if he is super banana. Did he give you info on what parents were? I could probably help you get a better ID on him with that info.

I'm assuming you are at least thinking about breeding him down the road, otherwise you should just base the buy off whether you like the way he looks. He is a cutie if you love pale colored snakes

Edit: I thought it's worth mentioning that a lot of times breeders aren't intentionally deceiving you, but just aren't good at ID'ing hatchlings. Especially if it's a new breeder.
    Last edited by nikkubus; 07-05-2021 at 11:29 PM.

Thanks

The lines between the pattern are really thin. Like maybe pinstripe in there? Probably pastel as pale as he is, even if he is super banana. Did he give you info on what parents were? I could probably help you get a better ID on him with that info.

I'm assuming you are at least thinking about breeding him down the road, otherwise you should just base the buy off whether you like the way he looks. He is a cutie if you love pale colored snakes
    Yes, seeing those new photos I was thinking pinstripe as well. Pastel would be cool too. I am thinking about breeding him in the future. I’m really excited since his babies should all be banana. I’ve also been looking to include pinstripe in my projects. Either way he’s a pretty snake and I’m getting him for an amazing price. Previous owner does not know his parents genetics I’m assuming he was just given to them. They have just been keeping him as a pet.

Thanks
    This, in case you don't already know, is a sign he is dehydrated and having trouble shedding, so I would be prepared for that. May be reason enough not to buy him depending on your level of experience.

Thanks

This, in case you don't already know, is a sign he is dehydrated and having trouble shedding, so I would be prepared for that. May be reason enough not to buy him depending on your level of experience.

Yes, thank you. I currently have 7 ball pythons and a couple clutches cooking. I have taken in underweight/ dehydrated snake before without any issue. Do you think that his dehydration is so sever that proper humidity/ temps and occasional baths will not be enough?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eccentricexotics View Post
    They have just been keeping him as a pet.

Ah okay. That explains a lot. If he is a good price and you are confident you can get him rehydrated and back to good health, he would probably make a great little powerhouse later on. Who knows what would pop out, maybe all bananas if he indeed is super banana, maybe it's other morphs making him appear to be. But I would suspect there is a nice variety of different morphs in there to play around with. He may have specter or yellow belly and there was confusion during the purchase leading this person to think he had both? Like he had a superstripe parent.

Thanks

Ah okay. That explains a lot. If he is a good price and you are confident you can get him rehydrated and back to good health, he would probably make a great little powerhouse later on. Who knows what would pop out, maybe all bananas if he indeed is super banana, maybe it's other morphs making him appear to be. But I would suspect there is a nice variety of different morphs in there to play around with. He may have specter or yellow belly and there was confusion during the purchase leading this person to think he had both? Like he had a superstripe parent.
    Ok, well hopefully everything goes smoothly with no extra surprises. It will be exciting to find out what genes hes got when that time comes. Thank you for all your help!!